Boris Johnson says he is serious about 'no-deal' Brexit threat

Jonathan Fairfield

4 minutes ago, evadgib said:

This isn't an election and they are having some debates, just not quite as many as the propped-up underdog & supporters are trying to engineer.

Isn't it an election? I could have sworn that it's an election for the leader of the Conservative party/Prime minister.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, grumpy 4680 said:

Getting out of Europe is the best thing Britain do, if it means making some deal, we will then be stuck with Europe for ever, then watch Britain suffer.

Before the referendum the UK was suffering so bad that it was the fastest growing economy in the G7 ... as you say suffering within the EU. 

The UK has done very well economically during its time as an EU member. The suffering would begin after a no deal catastrophe, and the UK citizens expected to carry the burden are the younger generations that don’t want it.

30 minutes ago, evadgib said:

If Sky or any other media outlet were neutral i'd see no reason why candidates shouldn't turn up. Unfortunately the entire shooting match in UK is heavily biased in one direction therefore I cannot blame anyone for not bothering.

Doesn't trump do same re CNN?

Sky is right of centre and if you are claiming johnson shares the trump delusional nonsense about the press, it would seem paranoia is contagious amongst those unfit for leadership or power. 

johnson is avoiding debate because he’s a coward. 

2 minutes ago, petemoss said:

Isn't it an election? I could have sworn that it's an election for the leader of the Conservative party/Prime minister.

That’s not true ... you are obviously not a regular subscriber to “Tin Foil Hat Monthly” ... educate yourself man!

42 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Does Boris getting the PM job suddenly give the government a majority in Parliament?

If not, nothing he says about a ‘No-Deal’ should be regarded as anything other than a loud noise trying to out Farage Farage.

The legal default is for Britain to leave without a deal if no deal has been negotiated by 31st October 2019.

Personally I believe that is what should happen as well, the EU have made it perfectly clear that they want Britain to suffer for daring to leave the EU and they are doing their utmost to make it as hard as possible to deter others from following and that includes any so called deal they have offered.

The British parliament has made the negotiations nigh on impossible by trying to take the no deal option off the table.

Yes Britain will suffer initially, of that there is no doubt, however so will the EU and they know that full well, they have as much to lose as we do.

In reality Britain is suffering right now due to the uncertainty of Brexit, once the future, whatever that may be, becomes clearer, then the country can get on with moving forward.

11 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I thought there was a law about leaving on 31 March 2019? What happened to that? You must have missed that too?

The PM has to request the extension. EU puppet Theresa May's decision to request those extensions effectively ended her role as PM. 

The law is in place, all Johnson would need to do is sit on his hands. 

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The Conservative Party M.P.s are voting to elect their leader .

Its looks likely to be either Boris Johnson or Chomper hingott who will win .

If Boris gets disqualified for arguing with his Mrs , Chomper will get the job

It's Conservative party members that are voting to elect the leader of the party who would by rote become P.M.

I'm certain that @Chomper Higgot would do a much better job....but so would my pet poodle.

8 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Sky is right of centre and if you are claiming johnson shares the trump delusional nonsense about the press, it would seem paranoia is contagious. 

johnson is avoiding debate because he’s a coward. 

I have yet to see a Sky political journalist sounding remotely sympathetic to the leave cause. 

(I will put words in my own mouth thank you. I did not say anything remotely resembling the nonsence in your reply!)

3 minutes ago, petemoss said:

Nope it's Conservative party members that are voting to elect the leader of the party who would by rote become P.M.

I'm certain that @Chomper Higgot would do a much better job....but so would my pet poodle.

So your pet poodle must be a conservative party member then to stand a chance.  I had heard that many of their members were nothing but a stuck up bunch of old woofers but never realised it could have been a literal comment. ????????

1 minute ago, geoffbezoz said:

So your pet poodle must be a conservative party member then to stand a chance.  I had heard that many of their members were nothing but a stuck up bunch of old woofers but never realised it could have been a literal comment. ????????

I think the correct term is "woofters", not "woofers". :cheesy:

8 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I have yet to see a Sky political journalist sounding remotely sympathetic to the leave cause. 

(I will put words in my own mouth thank you. I did not say anything remotely resembling the nonsence in your reply!)

No idea what you are on about in the parentheses 

Hunt is prepared to debate and there is little difference between him and johnson. 

johnson is scared to debate and face tough questions. 

19 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The PM has to request the extension. EU puppet Theresa May's decision to request those extensions effectively ended her role as PM. 

The law is in place, all Johnson would need to do is sit on his hands. 

Well that and keep the lid on Parliament over boiling and throwing him and this minority Government out of office.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

The EU won't offer improved terms. They want us to fail as a warning to other EU countries not to leave.

So we have 3 choices.

1. May's surrender treaty (making us a vassal state).

2. Revoke A50 (a huge affront to democratic process and a massive humiliation).

3. No Deal (trade on WTO terms until trade deals are signed, many of which are lined up already).

No Deal honours the referendum result and also allows us to strike trade deals around the world. It puts us back in control of immigration policy and our fishing waters. We answer to our own courts not the ECJ.

What's the worst case that happens if there is no hard border with ROI? A small % of missed tariffs? Big deal. There are virtually no tariffs now anyway. It's a red herring to try and keep us locked in. They'll probably get rid of the backstop at the 11th hour as a "concession" to make us sign the treaty. I'd still reject that POS.

The EU might see some of their 39 Billion after we've left if they offer us a spectacular trade deal. If not? forget it. Oettinger has already admitted they can't force us to pay it in court so they'll need to offer us something for it, we don't just hand over 39 Billion because we are asked to.

Hopefully Barnier is realizing his puppet May has gone now, the party is over. He should have removed the backstop 6 months ago but refused. He wanted everything and now he gets No Deal. In local parlance, Som Nam Naa.

No mention of the further crash of the pound in your scenario, then?

In response to snuggle, humiliation is nothing compared to poverty. The referendum was ill thought out, all the blame can be landed on Cameron desperate to keep the Conservatives together. No need for the average Brit to feel ashamed. 

If we leave with no deal then how many years before WTO deals can be ratified, and how will we fare, for instance with the USA, when our economy is 9 times smaller?

33 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The clock’s ticking.

Let’s check back on November 1st.

Be sporting Stomper; lets say Valentines day, a realistic timeframe by which we'll all know whether or not the sky has fallen in?

It seems like every few days there's a similar post by JF on the same tiring subject and the same usual responses. So what if Johnson says this or that - it might wash with Tory voters, but at the end of the day if he stuck to a no-deal, he would be ousted from a PM role by parliament and a GE called.

Without a doubt, a no-deal brexit would cause irreplacable damage to the UK economy and the pound would materially devalue overnight. No UK parliament would sanction that. it just ain't going to happen.

If Johnson aims to leave, he'll have to get the WAG past parliament, and if it's not the ideal deal, that's Tough Teety. Accept it, and hope the government gets on with trying to repair the backlash situation that brexit would cause. As for moving forward, that's another cloud cuckoo-land ideological scenario with no realistic ending or reality built in.    

3 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Be sporting Stomper; lets say Valentines day, a realistic timeframe by which we'll all know whether or not the sky has fallen in?

Let’s say November 1st, given Brexiteer insistence on October 1st being the latest, yet we must believe, final Brexit date.

7 minutes ago, bannork said:

In response to snuggle, humiliation is nothing compared to poverty. The referendum was ill thought out, all the blame can be landed on Cameron desperate to keep the Conservatives together. No need for the average Brit to feel ashamed. 

If we leave with no deal then how many years before WTO deals can be ratified, and how will we fare, for instance with the USA, when our economy is 9 times smaller?

The main issue should not be about trade, because the UK has numerous existing trade deals in place, that are comprehensive enough to keep the UK populous in candy for the rest of their natural, including goods from China and the US now sold in the UK.

It's a total red herring advanced by ERG extremists like Rees-Mogg, whose only rationale is that they would make money from their emerging markets hedge funds if the Uk had to seek trades from these economies.  Bottom line it's financial politics at play, here.

13 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

The main issue should not be about trade, because the UK has numerous existing trade deals in place, that are comprehensive enough to keep the UK populous in candy for the rest of their natural, including goods from China and the US now sold in the UK.

It's a total red herring advanced by ERG extremists like Rees-Mogg, whose only rationale is that they would make money from their emerging markets hedge funds if the Uk had to seek trades from these economies.  Bottom line it's financial politics at play, here.

And tax avoidance!

20 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Let’s say November 1st, given Brexiteer insistence on October 1st being the latest, yet we must believe, final Brexit date.

If it's so much as raining on 01 November the 2016 silver medalists will claim Brexit is to blame.

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

And tax avoidance!

Quite. Adds to their rationale of obscuring the real reason for supporting the exiting of the UK on a no deal basis. It's laughable that people believe such nonsense about the UK securing new deals would benefit the populace.  

50 minutes ago, sniggie said:

I think a No Deal scenario is pretty much built into the value now. It's become increasingly likely and FX markets don't tend to wait until the day the event happens.

There is room for maybe a max of 10% more devaluation in my opinion. UK exports will be fantastically competitive for a few months (it will be a great time to buy the already seriously undervalued pound) and then when everyone realizes that the sky hasn't fallen and that the UK can successfully operate as a sovereign state it will start to regain the losses that Project Fear and a dysfunctional Parliament has so greatly contributed to.

Remember, it's the uncertainty that is causing the weak pound, not Brexit. Brexit has not happened yet.  

12 minutes ago, evadgib said:

If it's so much as raining on 01 November the 2016 silver medalists will claim Brexit is to blame.

You miss my point.

I doubt very much Brexit will happen by October 1st. (Actually ever).

I’m looking forward to hearing who Brexiteers will blame, because of course it will have to be somebody else’s fault.

31 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

It seems like every few days there's a similar post by JF on the same tiring subject and the same usual responses. So what if Johnson says this or that - it might wash with Tory voters, but at the end of the day if he stuck to a no-deal, he would be ousted from a PM role by parliament and a GE called.

Without a doubt, a no-deal brexit would cause irreplacable damage to the UK economy and the pound would materially devalue overnight. No UK parliament would sanction that. it just ain't going to happen.

If Johnson aims to leave, he'll have to get the WAG past parliament, and if it's not the ideal deal, that's Tough Teety. Accept it, and hope the government gets on with trying to repair the backlash situation that brexit would cause. As for moving forward, that's another cloud cuckoo-land ideological scenario with no realistic ending or reality built in.   

...every few days there's a similar post by JF on the same tiring subject and the same usual responses...... And here we have Pot/Kettle at its' finest. Boris will be the new Leader of the Tory Party, not a wishy washy Remainer. There's no guarantee at all that he will not lead the CON party Remainer MPs into toeing the party line, thus avoiding a GE.

There's plenty of doubt about the Project Fear hysterics about possible damage to the UK economy. 

Johnson does not have to get the WAG (Merkel/May Surrender Treaty) past parliament. It's dead and buried now after being shot down three times by parliament. Yes, I'm sure there will be even more Remainer backlash after your plans to thwart Brexit have been scuppered, but by 31st October that will have been done. What will be your next cloud cuckoo plot to try and shackle the UK in your EU ideology?

1 hour ago, sniggie said:

The speculators and manipulators who profited from the initial crash will be looking to make a second killing in a massive post-Brexit Sterling recovery.

Archived