Price of Gold in USD moving right along

3 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

People keep saying that Gold is insurance without saying exactly what they are insuring against.  

Here is a fine example of insurance. 

The price of gold has increased in perfect step with the increase in negative yielding bonds. 

Keep in mind that the latter, having now reached a total of 15 trillions(!), are an aberration, something unknown in 5,000 years of financial history, and probably something to be worried about. ... hence the gold hedge... 

Gold-and-neg-yeild-debt-2019-08-08_17-00-59.jpg

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Thailand J said:

Gold vs S&P500 short terms 3, 5 and 10 yrs.

Gold-blue, Index- red.

SPDR Gold ????????

Sorry I deal in physical metals only

But all that aside I am glad you have done so well with your S&P500

I hope it allowed you to retire very early ????

At the end of the day any vehicle that gets us there is all good

4 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

The problem with using gold as a hedge against inflation is that the old saw that “an ounce of gold bought a fine toga in Roman times and will buy a fine suit today” is only true it you carefully pick the dates on which you buy you gold and then sell it to buy that suit.  The inflation adjusted price of gold has been quite volatile over our lifetime.

Well as I said.................

4 hours ago, mania said:

I do not know what folks mean "exactly" But I know many consider gold a hedge against inflation

You know that old saying an ounce can always buy a fine suit?

For myself it matters not

BTW: This thread was not to discuss the merits/demerits of gold for what ever reason

It was to note the price movement & for some who are interested & versed in G/S ratios how

that has recently hit ratios previously achieved rarely in history ????

27 minutes ago, mania said:

SPDR Gold ????????

Sorry I deal in physical metals only

But all that aside I am glad you have done so well with your S&P500

I hope it allowed you to retire very early ????

At the end of the day any vehicle that gets us there is all good

GLD is just one of many SPDR ETF's. Trusted by investors and institutions.

I would't know what to do with physical gold. Can I put it in a pot to grow orchids?

I did alright with S&P 500, doubled my money watching Game of Thrones without doing anything.

Not saying S&P 500 is the best and the only investment but a convenient comparison, everyone knows SP500.

3 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

GLD is just one of many SPDR ETF's. Trusted by investors and institutions.

I would't know what to do with physical gold.

???? No Problem

We posted different charts

Anyway good luck to you

29 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

Sounds like the wait for a Trump-China trade deal. What would that do to gold price....let's wait.

There probably won't be a trade deal... ever... 

Meanwhile, there are more potential flash points in the world today than there were in the late 1930s...

8 hours ago, Thailand J said:

$290.78 invested in the index in 1971 would have been cool $1,000,000 in 2018, plus another 15-18% year-to-date 2019.

1971, i was 11.

please no lame excuses. you could have used your pocket money to buy some gold. :smile:

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Here is a fine example of insurance. 

The price of gold has increased in perfect step with the increase in negative yielding bonds. 

have mercy Bruno! now thousands of Thaivisa members will weep when they read your comment and think "why didn't i add gold to my portfolio instead instead of all these stupid negative yielding bonds?" then they might beat up their wives and/or kick their pets.

On 6/29/2019 at 3:32 PM, suzannegoh said:
On 6/28/2019 at 11:17 PM, wilailuk said:
I´m not an investor, so I don´t know.. maybe Marc Faber can tell us what to do?

https://marcfabersblog.blogspot.com/2018/03/marc-faber-gold-wont-collapse-unless.html

If Trump does indeed dismantle the FED and go back to a Gold Standard, as many US Patriots hope, then gold is the shiny new thing to have!

Faber lives in Chiang Mai and occasionally gives talks here. What he says at the start of that video is a pretty good point - that you can't make your financial plan assuming that WWIII will start tommorrow.

fact remains that nothing that Mr. Gloom&Doom Faber forecasted since 2008 happened.

Archived