"British" man fallen on hard times in Bangkok set to be repatriated

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not the first foreigner that came to Thailand blew all his money on booze and bar girls went broke and won,t be the last. Hundreds more like this guy arriving monthly. Ever wonder why the visas are getting more and more difficult ? This guy is a prime example.

23755360_1166938376771788_2266213839968791288_n.jpg

Bickering removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

12 hours ago, faraday said:

As Sammie says a similar scene in the UK...

So sorry for him, came here no doubt with some dreams, & it all goes horribly wrong.

Despite what anyone might think, we are all just a few wrong turns from homelessness or any of the sad unfortunate events that too many people experience.

Truly hope he is able to access proper help in the UK. But being a single older man, it won't easy.

Not just the UK - but a big problem all over Europe, USA, Aussie, Canada, etc etc.

When the BBC were covering the EU elections from Brussels there was a homeless guy in the background seemingly sleeping rough (and looked like boozing) near some statue. 

The UK establishment, sadly, only has compassion for foreign refugees. 

About time his embassy helped him as it the duty of any embassy to take care of it's own around the world...(reality can be different)...

Embassies should use such dramatical stories and warn their citizens of the girlie traps in Thailand or other countries.

13 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

At the rate I am going that will be me soon.

But seriously I am glad he is getting some help.

Get a book published on your “Adventures in Thailand”  

Should be a best seller and keep you afloat for a lifetime. 

9 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Why the need for wraparound services as you call them? Who pays for this? 

Why cant people take personal responsibility themselves instead of seeing themselves as victims and requiring someone else to solve problems of their own making, which is 99% of the time??

I guess you love paying tax.

This continuing infantilism will be the undoing of the western culture eventually.

I can see you have not worked with those living with severe mental illness, long periods of homelessness, alcoholism, trauma, acquired brain injury.

Services are state funded, Hopefully. These services can stop a person becoming part of the health/judicial/residential mental health system.

sometimes society assists those less fortunate .

17 hours ago, owl sees all said:

It can happen so easily.

A few years back. I had fell on hard times but had a decent pitch near Leyton Station (London, England, near Leyton Orient Fc). A well dressed guy came up, and reached into his pocket for a bit of change to give to me. He dropped a few pennies into my hat. As he walked away i saw that he had dropped his wallet. I limped after him but could not find the guy.

Opening the wallet I found 500 pounds. There was also some little business cards. It turned out that he was a solicitor. I couldn't afford a phone during those times, so i walked to Tottenham Hale (the address on the card). I'd been injured when I'd been set upon by some youths earlier in the week, and my leg was hurting, but I carried on, and hours later I got to his office. It was closed.

Sat by the doorway all night. It turned out not to be a good pitch and my hat got filled with nothing. The next morning a lady came to open the office. I told her that I'd been active in the Army, and had seen better days. I explained what had happened with the solicitor guy and apologized for having to open the wallet, which still had all the dosh in it. She said not to worry, everything would be OK, and took the wallet from me. The solicitor would be pleased with your honesty; she said.

I went back to my Leyton spot and just carried on. The following day the solicitor came to me. "Thank you for returning the wallet" he handed me a carrier bag and walked away. I looked inside and there was a sign and an envelope. The sign said 'War veteran - please help' I opened the envelope and inside was a little note. "Make good use of the 500 quid you thieving <deleted>

But, the sign worked well and I never looked back. And here I am in Thailand.

He probably believed her. Like many of us do.

The irony of your story is quite incredible....considering that the British man in the subject title, allegedly, used to be a solicitor who cheated his clients.

At first glance it appears that he was ripping off his clients and hiding his ill gotten gains offshore. The Panama Papers being leaked in 2015, probably put paid to his shenanigans. 

Cannot imagine anyone he has ripped off letting that lie.

the link to the panama papers told quite a story, the last company was 2015, so he went down hill fast, Mossack's list of entities looks more like a list of scam share companies aka boiler rooms

10 hours ago, BoBoTheClown said:

I wonder how much sympathy he would receive if he wasn't a white man? We live a crazy world. 

i have sympathy , the road to ruin can come in different ways, as 'kneedeeper' has posted maybe Karma plays a hand, or maybe as i saw yesterday, inside 7-11, a non-fair skin foreigner expat being rudely searched by a plain clothes cop, can start a spiral into ruin, can be many ways on this land, especially under current circumstances

21 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

What a shocking state of affairs, horrendous, and sad state to be in.

Hopefully his family will take him back to UK, he can try and get back on his feet.

agree , but i think once you get past a certain age your get up and go has got up and gone. sad to find anyone in this position at a older age.

17 hours ago, mooping20Baht said:
20 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Not sure if I would prefer being homeless in the US, or here. Both are horrendous thoughts. The homeless population in America is exploding, as the middle class continues to get decimated by fiscal policy, the lack of benefits from corporations, stagnant wages, dramatically rising prices, especially for housing, and policies that favor the wealthy.

In the US, many people are one paycheck away from being homeless. 63% of the population has three months wages, or less, for savings. We like to think ourselves immune from such a tragic state of affairs, but a series of calamities can put people on the street, without warning. Many homeless were hard working souls, who were living in a home they rented for years, at $1,200 a month, barely getting by. The home gets bought by a new owner, the rent gets increased to $3,500, and they have no hope of paying that. They start looking around, and see that there is nothing affordable. Had they planned for it, they would be able to survive. Some do not plan. If it were me, I would stiff the landlord for three months rent, save my earnings, sell everything I own, and move to a small town in Idaho, rent a house for $500 a month, and start all over again. But, some do not think rationally, when faced with an emergency situation. 

Here it helps, that the standard of living is alot more reasonable. It is alot easier to afford a 6,000 baht a month room, or a 10,000 baht a month home in a small town, than it is to pay $3,500 a month for a 2 bedroom house or apartment in Los Angeles. But still, running out of money like this guy is tragic. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maggiemcgrath/2016/01/06/63-of-americans-dont-have-enough-savings-to-cover-a-500-emergency/#150845464e0d

Apparently,  LA  has $60k + unhoused   imagine that ........

Rome is seriously burning

Thanks for getting this back to the United States of America. All this talk on here about about Thailand, Whats with that?? Lets get it back to the country that matters.  :thumbsup:

The man is quite obviously mentally ill. He needs to be put in a hospital until he can be cleared to fly home. Cost to be covered as a good will gesture by the Thais. All the money they take from us justifies the little it would cost to sort this guy out. Karma and all that. 

Yes, maybe it is Karma - who knows.

Over 25 years ago where I was living there used to be a well known Porsche driving drug dealer. A nasty piece of work.

Around 6 year's ago, I was in my GP surgery waiting room, & who came hobbling in on crutches looking very ill?

The same person who was a scourge all those years ago.

I was gratified.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:40 PM, colinneil said:

Stop with your nonsense, i am speaking from personal experience.

Yes your hatred for anything i post is tedious.

What I said is not nonsense, you are the one using your one personal experience to generalise everything that involves the British Embassy and that is ridiculous.

I don't hate everything that you post, you don't have enough relevance to me for me to hate it all.  I have been know to give you "Likes" on many occasions but of course you have that tendency to generalise everything and ignore whatever doesn't suit you, don't you?

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:45 PM, faraday said:

True, they won't help financially.

That's not the only thing that they are there for!  The Embassy can help financially if they know that their assistance will be secured and paid back, say, by the family, I've seen it happen.  And there are other ways that they do help people.

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

What I said is not nonsense, you are the one using your one personal experience to generalise everything that involves the British Embassy and that is ridiculous.

I don't hate everything that you post, you don't have enough relevance to me for me to hate it all.  I have been know to give you "Likes" on many occasions but of course you have that tendency to generalise everything and ignore whatever doesn't suit you, don't you?

"Let's get ready to rumble....."

Think there's gonna be a scrap later.

:laugh:

Archived