"British" man fallen on hard times in Bangkok set to be repatriated

Jonathan Fairfield

55 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Homelessness is more a mental health problem than a lack of money problem.

If you relocate them, they just drift into the same life in another part of the world.

There is a need for "wraparound" services, housing, social workers, counsellors, financial counsellors, mental health workers, doctors and ancillary support workers, employment placement.

The need is growing in western countries. Lack of Social Services in Asia, is scary  

Roof over the head is just the begining

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I'd try the temple (if I were in Thailand).

Last year I returned to the UK and had to pay 6 months rent up front because I had no referee.

Also, because I'd spent more than 5 years outside the UK or EU, and hadn't had car insurance, one car insurance company refused to insure me at all, the one that did charged me £1500.

There are lots of things like this when considering returning to the UK.

As a simple UK accountant; I would say this:

Circumstances and situations change in life; sometimes self inflicted and some times just bad luck.

One can see the UK pound fall agianst the Thai bt.

One can see that the Thai government is changing the visa conditions; i.e.800,000 bt in a thai bank account and more than likely a Health Insurance with a Thai government approved insurance company.

In my opinion one is better to be on paper, still resident in the UK.

This enables you to be able to get medical care and build up qualifying years for the full state pension.

I would recommend any UK citizen under the UK state retirement age (66 now) to continue getting qualifying State Pension years (35 qualifying years required to obtain the full state pension).

8 minutes ago, Cashboy said:

As a simple UK accountant; I would say this:

Circumstances and situations change in life; sometimes self inflicted and some times just bad luck.

One can see the UK pound fall agianst the Thai bt.

One can see that the Thai government is changing the visa conditions; i.e.800,000 bt in a thai bank account and more than likely a Health Insurance with a Thai government approved insurance company.

This enables you to be able to get medical care and build up qualifying years for the full state pension.

I would recommend any UK citizen under the UK state retirement age (66 now) to continue getting qualifying State Pension years (35 qualifying years required to obtain the full state pension).

Yawn............

6 minutes ago, Cashboy said:

Thank you for that one, Sir.  Absolutely crucial to retain UK residency.  Despite all the uncertainties of living in Thailand, exchange rates, immigration regulations etc, the one thing I had thought I would always be able to rely on was health care at home. Then in 2015 that was removed for those, like myself, who are not normally resident.  I did not see that coming at all.

Yeah, we should all plan, but how do you plan for a war, or Brexit? How do you plan for your savings being worthless? When I was a teen, and got a job, the foreman brought along some papers for my retirement, I just laughed!! ME? RETIREMENT? Never!

This is a sad story and happened to a guy i knew,he was a nice okay guy when i first knew him,a few years back but a damn fool,he got progressivly more drunk on a daily basis,moving from beer to Gin,his wife kicked him out,took his car,then went to the Uk,where for some strange reason,he had a house also in her name,she took that. He went back to the Uk ,but soon returned here,by then he was yellow,his liver was failing,countless times we had to take him back to the hotel ,until they kicked him out,eventually he ended up in a short time place down the road,Christmas day he collapsed in the bar,we took him back to where he was staying,he then later tried to return,and the owner had ,had enough,so he staggered to another of the 3 bars in town,left,and collapsed in front of his lodgings,the owner of said bar was called by the hotel owner and found him sprawled on the ground having soiled himself.

The guy hosed him down and the Police attended,after 2 weeks in the local hospital,he was taken to immigration detention,after 2 months,he was somehow,i guess his kids payed repatriated to the UK,he died age 62 a month or so ago from liver failure.

I really hope this guy has family to look after him,being homeless in the UK is not pleasant and a lot colder.

I am fortunate,i have money,and anyone who has read of my recent struggles will know,you can protect yourself legally here,just get a good lawyer,my seperated wife tried to throw me out,but i had the required legal documentation,that meant she had too leave instead,plan for the worst,hope it never happens,but be prepared .

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Stop with your nonsense, i am speaking from personal experience.

Yes your hatred for anything i post is tedious.

Agree colin,this bloke is well named,anything i post he reacts confused,or negative,almost as bad as Yeah Siam,don't worry about the fool,plenty of us on here love your posts,hope your doing okay buddy.

Would it not be possible for TVFourm members to set up a baht fund that could help these poor unfortunates. I'd be willing to chip in 500 baht and provide some emotional support through PMs.

So much of what we read is heart-tugging. It's not always the fault of greedy, mercenary Thai ladies. Sometimes it's just plain bad luck. Or, indeed, the person could have brought it on themselves, through carelessness, drugs or drink even.

2 hours ago, pmh2009 said:

It is situations like this that we have all the restrictions for retirement visas... and it will be tighter and stricter in the future... due to incidents like these... always the farangs!!!

Very true... Take notice.... All those who complain about new visa requirements..

11 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Would it not be possible for TVFourm members to set up a baht fund that could help these poor unfortunates. I'd be willing to chip in 500 baht and provide some emotional support through PMs.

So much of what we read is heart-tugging. It's not always the fault of greedy, mercenary Thai ladies. Sometimes it's just plain bad luck. Or, indeed, the person could have brought it on themselves, through carelessness, drugs or drink even.

Dashed good idea Owl,but how could we be sure all cases are genuine, i certainley would be prepared to help this chap,but not some backpacker on the make.

This is a really sad state of affairs for the gentleman in question, and I feel bad seeing how he has ended up. I hope his family do come and collect him, help him with his repatriation and then give him some help to get back on his feet.

I would imagine his family are quite horrified at his desperate situation. I would be if that was my dad or my brother.

18 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

That's a great idea.

4 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

Dashed good idea Owl,but how could we be sure all cases are genuine, i certainley would be prepared to help this chap,but not some backpacker on the make.

Good points. I don't think that backpakers on the make would get involved. I believe human nature would sort it out.

I knew a homeless guy in Bangkok. Nice guy and friends took care to a certain point and we woiuld buy him some beers when around. But he kept cleaned up and eventually met a Thai chick who gave him a room to take care of here animals.. don't know what happened after that as it's been several + years since saw him. His ultimate downfall was beer and women and ran out of money.

poor bloke in many ways, as even if he is being rescued by his family and this is a mental issue there is no support network left in the UK, well not for UK people...

Their best bet would be to stop off in France on the way back, buy him a rowing boat and verse him to say "Asylum" and nothing else

As the elderly and mentally handicapped in UK have social support reduced to nearly nothing and more and more are becoming homeless you can wonder if he may just be exchanging his conditions for a colder climate and the risk of hypothermia.....

Good luck and my best wishes to him. As to setting up some sort of TVF fund what an excellent idea, it probably can't be legally done, however as an idea it's fantastically brilliant. NIce one Owl ????

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

If you are going down a slippery slope , get off before its too late

The sad reality, though, is that those to whom life deals a bad hand tend not to realise that they're going down a slippery slope until they hit the bottom.

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yes, those wrong turns are usually Females and alcohol .

If you are going down a slippery slope , get off before its too late  

7 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

That is being very judgemental as we do not know the facts surrounding this persons past private or business life.

Based on your apparent generalisation every destitute/beggars on the street of the world are there solely due to either/and being an alcoholic or having an unfortunate relationship with a female.

6 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

So to ensure your point has a sound factual basis, rather then a point based on your own personal prejudices perhaps, provide a link or links supporting your statement "usually guys in Thailand who fall into that state".

You guys like to argue.55555

Geoffbezoz is correct. If you read the Facebook it has the information.

No woman cheated him. =ไม่ได้โดนผู้หญิงหลอกนะครับ

He is very sick.

He has the urine and feces problem. Can talk, but not clear.

His daughter is England and will help him. Thai people help him now.

His visa finish 28/8/19

Good luck Mr Robert.

5 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

What ever happened you are responsible for your self and always have a plan b.  

He could just go embassy and contact family 

Why end up as a street bum??? 

There is more to the story that we know and hear of... 

To meny come here with little money and end up with nothing 

Remember this.. 

You can't live a champagne life on a water budget...  

So everybody deserves the bed they make for themselves? Even with mental health issues? 

Archived