Statins - sick of the side effects

myprivate

I was put on statins a while ago when my doctor informed me of high cholesterol.  After I did some research on my own I decided to find an alternative to statins, and yes my personal solution involved cutting down on table salt (among other dietary changes).  Too often, doctors turn to prescribed medicines when nutritional modification is the real solution.

Salt is simply salt (sodium chloride) BTW; all this to-do about Himalayan salt being better is just marketing nonsense IMO! 

I'm not advocating that anyone defy their doctor and avoid statins but I would advocate finding a doctor who is smart enough to think out of the box and consider nutritional changes as an alternative to prescription medication. 

I'm not going to go into my personal details except to say that when I cut out salt and processed foods, my "cholesterol problem" was solved, and it happened very quickly.

One thing I will say is that (as someone previously said) cholesterol is NOT the problem.  Cholesterol is simply the body's way of dealing with arterial inflammation; it is, in essence, nature's "band-aid" to repair arterial lesions.  The real problem is the underlying causes for those lesions to occur...and I have news for you; more often than not, the cause is nutritional!  There are so many myths about the dangers of cholesterol and most are just plain nonsense!

Just because people with heart disease tend to have high levels of cholesterol does not mean that cholesterol causes heart disease.  The true cause is the underlying metabolic condition that causes arterial inflammation.  Cholesterol is only responding to that inflammation and doing what nature meant it to do (a good thing, not a bad thing). 

To say that cholesterol is causing the problem would be like saying that whenever there is a house fire, firemen respond to the fire; therefore firemen must be causing the house fires. ????

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

I was put on statins a while ago when my doctor informed me of high cholesterol.  After I did some research on my own I decided to find an alternative to statins, and yes my personal solution involved cutting down on table salt (among other dietary changes).  Too often, doctors turn to prescribed medicines when nutritional modification is the real solution.

Salt is simply salt (sodium chloride) BTW; all this to-do about Himalayan salt being better is just marketing nonsense IMO! 

I'm not advocating that anyone defy their doctor and avoid statins but I would advocate finding a doctor who is smart enough to think out of the box and consider nutritional changes as an alternative to prescription medication. 

I'm not going to go into my personal details except to say that when I cut out salt and processed foods, my "cholesterol problem" was solved, and it happened very quickly.

One thing I will say is that (as someone previously said) cholesterol is NOT the problem.  Cholesterol is simply the body's way of dealing with arterial inflammation; it is, in essence, nature's "band-aid" to repair arterial lesions.  The real problem is the underlying causes for those lesions to occur...and I have news for you; more often than not, the cause is nutritional!  There are so many myths about the dangers of cholesterol and most are just plain nonsense!

Just because people with heart disease tend to have high levels of cholesterol does not mean that cholesterol causes heart disease.  The true cause is the underlying metabolic condition that causes arterial inflammation.  Cholesterol is only responding to that inflammation and doing what nature meant it to do (a good thing, not a bad thing). 

To say that cholesterol is causing the problem would be like saying that whenever there is a house fire, firemen respond to the fire; therefore firemen must be causing the house fires. ????

I agree with almost everything here - not got time to get into the need for salt (sodium) but the main point about cholesterol is spot on (in simplified terms) in fact cholesterol is ESSENTIAL for males.  

Archived