Big Oud promises swift action against immigration officials over Fast Track scandal

Jonathan Fairfield

42 minutes ago, redsongthaew said:

Thai Airways wanted 144,000 baht for a round trip Bangkok to London for next year. Why would you pay that kind of money then be expected to stand in a queue for up to an hour?

At that price do you get to keep the seat to use at home?

Please tell me that's first class!!!!

Big Oud said that Region 2 immigration were investigating if any of his officers were involved in the scandal. 

He personally could not accept it if they were, he said, and he would ensure that they faced immediate action.

Need to get some more desks setup at the inactive position bureau....then after a few months of reduced media attention move along to a new position or retirement.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

As he said, no need to worry yourself...

"He said that the Fast Track facility is a standard feature at airports around the world and it would be hard to get rid of the service completely. 

But if it was scrapped entirely he promised that immigration would step in to provide that extra level of help and convenience to passengers". 

Having been through immigration, that "promise" rings hollow...

2 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Another dubious 'benefit' of the Elite Card goes down the swanny. 

About the only benefit left will be to use it to chop and line up your coke on the mirror. 

No one ever said that, and it won't go away - simply the fact that immigration officials and shady resellers resell and deal with fasttrack tickets will maybe go away.

In real airports in real countries like Heathrow for example you can simply buy fast track service for a fee directly from the airport, i suppose that's what going to happen here too... 

Business, First class, elite and elderly will still be able to use it..

3 hours ago, Ozman52 said:

Why should those who can afford expensive seats on planes be given priority at immigration?

Because Business and First class are subsidizing everything including economy tickets and airport facilities. 

It's totally normal to get fast track service with business class tickets, business travellers don't have time to wait in immi forever, that's why they are willing to pay more. 

I note that Oud is called 'the ACTING head of immigration'. That means that he is only temporary - standing in until someone else takes over.

Will the Biggest Joke make a triumphant return??? (I rather doubt it, but in Thailand, one never knows ...!).

Is anyone going to prison? Is anyone going to be asked to repay the funds they defrauded from customers? Will anyone important get in trouble? The answer is no.....they will get moved to another district with full pay, perhaps even a promotion. The system is rotten to the top....the fish rots from the head down. Makes you wonder what on earth Big Joke did to lose his job.

5 hours ago, redsongthaew said:

Thai Airways wanted 144,000 baht for a round trip Bangkok to London for next year. Why would you pay that kind of money then be expected to stand in a queue for up to an hour?

Why would anyone be crazy enough to pay that price in the first place ?

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

Why would anyone be crazy enough to pay that price in the first place ?

Some people just have a LOT of money and think nothing of spending that much money on a plane ticket (I'm not one of those people).  Or, they are getting their employer to reimburse the trip.   

"Big Oud said that Region 2 immigration were investigating if any of his officers were involved in the scandal."

That's the convenient thing about being police. If anything looks suspicious, they can simply investigate themselves. That guarantees a near complete lack of impartiality and transparency, obviously.

Have to say I came in to BKK on business class last night and was given a Fast Track voucher by the airline, but it wasn't worth all that much because at 11:30 PM the regular line per station was about 6 persons and mine was one person in front of me, not a big difference. And why spend for business class? 1. because at 80 of age I deserve it, and 2. I put oodles of money on an expense card that gives me lots of frequent flyer points:I'm not crazy enough (usually) to spend that much actual cash. (And certain FF programs offer deals that you can't find paying cash.)

12 hours ago, Ozman52 said:

Why should those who can afford expensive seats on planes be given priority at immigration?

Because, in life, you can pay for better service.  If you can afford it you can eat at better restaurants, stay in nicer hotels, go to nicer places, fly business class, and yes, pay for priority at immigration.  It is factored in to the ticket price and everybody wins.

It's pretty simple.

7 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

My mate said the no tips sign had been removed at our local immigration office the other day.

Did he??  Your mate said that - so has he started giving tips??   I assume he must have as the sign has gone.

21 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

He personally could not accept it if they were, he said, and he would ensure that they faced immediate action.

So the recruitment drive for new staff starts when ?

On 6/25/2019 at 10:25 AM, Bluespunk said:

Not good enough if you pay the prices charged for business and first class.

There is a certain level of expectation of a quick and hassle free experience when going through immigration. 

Why should there be? You may pay high prices for First and Business class on the flight, but the airline has nothing to do with the airport and immmigration. Let these wannabe "hi-so's" wait in the immigration queue like eveyone else!

32 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Why should there be? You may pay high prices for First and Business class on the flight, but the airline has nothing to do with the airport and immmigration. Let these wannabe "hi-so's" wait in the immigration queue like eveyone else!

Well, the airlines decided that it's cost effective for them to give away the fast track to some, at a wholesale cost for them of 18 baht per head.

As a "wannabe hi-so myself", I avail of this option as a frequent flyer in economy on Qatar. Which is one of the things that keeps me loyal to the airline (but not the most important).

So to answer your original question, "why should there be?", it's because Immigration is selling fast track to make additional profits.

1 hour ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Never said it should be [and have also said I never said that once in this thread already]

However, try doing that here and see what those who are more than wannabes react. Some have the influence and inclination to make life uncomfortable for others.

Archived