The owners all flee but the cops grab 500,000 baht of pirated goods in Pattaya

Jonathan Fairfield

The owners all flee but the cops grab 500,000 baht of pirated goods in Pattaya

77k.jpeg

Image: 77 Kaoded.com

Pattaya Update News reported on Facebook that a contingent of police from the Economic Crime Suppression Division conducted a raid at three shops in a "department store" on Beach Road Pattaya.

They were looking for pirated goods after complaints were received by members of the public. 

They found plenty of merchandise - but all the owners had fled the scene, none were to be found at the shops.

Some half a million baht worth of mostly clothes with designer names were taken away to be destroyed.

They included fake Louis Vuitton, Armani, Adidas and Channel merchandise. 

The department store was not named. 

Source: Pattaya Update News

27 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

They were looking for pirated goods after complaints were received by members of the public. 

What did the members of the public expect, original stuff for 10% of the normal price?

"They were looking for pirated goods after complaints were received by members of the public." I reckon "the public" means "nearby business owners". Few if any people buying pirate goods think they are getting the genuine article so wouldn't complain.

3 hours ago, Vacuum said:
4 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

What did the members of the public expect, original stuff for 10% of the normal price?

If you saw something selling for 1/10th the price that you had paid would you not complain?

Recall a few years ago I helped a colleague ID a lock as he could not find a stockist located in the UK for the brand name stamped on it. I noted it was the exact copy of one distributed by a company in the UK, he went straight to the company I had ID'd, seems after investigation this company had contracted a company in China to manufacture locks for them, after a disagreement the Chinese company had not returned the machine tools but continued to manufacture the the locks and had been supplying them to building company in the UK under a new brand name.   

13 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The department store was not named. 

I can name them , Mikes. The usual place. 

Monthly raids , all the owners were warned before they arrived. Business as usual next week when the cops have been paid. 

15 hours ago, Basil B said:

If you saw something selling for 1/10th the price that you had paid would you not complain?

Recall a few years ago I helped a colleague ID a lock as he could not find a stockist located in the UK for the brand name stamped on it. I noted it was the exact copy of one distributed by a company in the UK, he went straight to the company I had ID'd, seems after investigation this company had contracted a company in China to manufacture locks for them, after a disagreement the Chinese company had not returned the machine tools but continued to manufacture the the locks and had been supplying them to building company in the UK under a new brand name.   

Serves them right!

On 6/25/2019 at 11:56 AM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

clothes with designer names were taken away to be destroyed.

Of course they were.  My wife sold counterfeit shirts and was visited regularly by police officers helping themselves to anything they fancied.

Silly question but how do the put a price tag on fake goods? 

It’s not what it would be worth if original, 

is it based on price copies were sold ? If so, owners fled, so how they know the prices ?

Archived