Thais warned: If you get a bone stuck in your throat don't suck on a cat's paw!

Jonathan Fairfield

Thais warned: If you get a bone stuck in your throat don't suck on a cat's paw!

Screen Shot 2562-06-25 at 12.07.00.png

Image: Daily News

Thais have been warned to go to see a doctor if they get a bone stuck in their throats. 

And they have been told not to resort to a traditional remedy - sucking on a cat's paw.

Daily News reported on two cases that were doing the rounds of Thai social media in which people had got fish bones stuck in their throats.

"Dee Song Teh" reported the saga of her mum's fish bone getting well wishes from many people on Monday after reporting that it was now out. 

But Phee Ut Sai Pheuak" advised people to go to the doctor and not believe an old wives' take about putting a cat's paw in your mouth to solve matters. 

Daily News said that cats' paws were dirty because felines use them to clean themselves. People might even need rabies shots after stuffing them down their throats. 

Be warned!

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-25

I think that it is the sucking action that is seen as something that draws out the fish bones. However, I can think of something much more entertaining to suck on and it brings relief to two people at the same time.  

14 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

i think the translators a bit off, the cat massages the outside of ur throat with its paw, you dont suck on it lol

อมตีนแมว om teen maew - suck on a cat's paw. 

I find massaging the outside of the throat to be highly ineffective by comparison. 

Rooster

18 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I think that it is the sucking action that is seen as something that draws out the fish bones. However, I can think of something much more entertaining to suck on and it brings relief to two people at the same time.  

Are you referring to the two ends of a snake? No way - I'd probably get the head.

Rooster

47 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

อมตีนแมว om teen maew - suck on a cat's paw. 

I find massaging the outside of the throat to be highly ineffective by comparison. 

Rooster

Your translation is right, my misses read the original article, but her story is she had a fish bone stuck in her throat and her grandmother used a cat to massage her throat to bring the bone into the stomach.  She said its from old traditional methods out Surin way.  This story however may be from another part of Thailand and may be true, but funny none the less.

No weirder than our lot back home.

this is a strange one: 

old medical remedy.

Take a turf of green grass, and lay it to the navel, and let it lie till you find ease; the green side must be laid next to the belly. (The Lady Drury’s medicine for the colic). ????

52 minutes ago, Myran said:

They held an exorcism at the Thai Labour Department's HQ in Bangkok a few years back, soooo...

And there was that "spirit condo" they built at swampy after those planes slid off runway.

54 minutes ago, Inepto Cracy said:

Eat toast or bread.

Yes, maybe good.

I had a fish bone stuck in the throat, about 18 years ago, at the old open air restaurants on Third road pattaya. 

It was getting a bit, oh shit i will have to go to hospital soon and have the forceps down the throat job,  or worse.

But the girls came through, they ordered some sticky rice.

rolled it up into small balls about the size of 10 baht coin, then got me to swallow them, with out chewing, it worked,  bone got dislodged and went down. well relieved, about that, and they were latter. big tip day for them both.

good job. 

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

I am sitting here, after reading this, shaking my head in disbelief, and laughing, have to now forward it to all friends overseas.

Careful! You may start a global trend!

i agree with the 'Bread' way (for that was the way what was  embedded into our head, as kids...)

- brother back then was even silly enough to put it to the test, and well... he's still alive!

but for now; imagining what it would be like,

- to forgo one fish bone, for instead 5 furry angry fish hooks

How about looking for bones before you consume a bony fish,i have had a few in my mouth[fish bones before someone gets smart],but have managed to spit them out,though you have to be careful there as one once went into a girls drink,and she accused me of witchcraft,i assumed she was joking until a pickup of disgruntled relatives turned up,i managed to settle them down by ordering beer and fish for all,then i snuck out the back door,have not been back to that area since.

Archived