Minor Motorbike "accident" - should I be worried of anything?

I was driving my scooter earlier yesterday and was approaching a stop light and was riding slowly between the two lanes cutting my way up to the front as usual for motorbikes here. A Toyota van up ahead had just switched from the left lane to the right land and was correcting himself straight again but in doing so proceeded to continue moving forward with the wheel turned to the left, thus starting to block my path as I was coming up. I was going slow and actually had to result to a near stop as to make sure i could get through smoothly. While scooting past slowly, i happened to slightly "ding" the car to my left just barely with my scooter's side mirror. It was very very minor, and it only hit the side mirror of the car as well and all it did was push it back a tad like they are made to do. I immediately stopped, the local man rolled down his window and I expressed my apology multiple times, he didn't give me any cues of if he was mad or not just blank. I pushed the mirror back to it's place, i didn't notice any damage and he never actually said anything and then the light turned green so I rode off. I feel slightly guilty for some reason because I'm worried of some sort of "hit and run" in a foreign country since they always side with the local, but it was extremely extremely minor. I would almost think this is normal with how tight people get here, yes or no? Should I be worried of anything, as in him writing my plate down and filing a police report? Or him seeing me around another time and start yelling up a storm next time he notices me? Lol might sound silly, maybe I'm just paranoid. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

Don't worry at all.. 'Mirror on mirror' dings or even 'handle bar on mirror' dings are very common when motorcycles are filtering through traffic. 

My mirror gets dinged from time to time - the motorcyclist usually puts up a hand or nods an apology... no big deal. I have also 'dinged' mirrors a couple of times when filtering through traffic on my motorcycle, I do the same, nod an apology or put up a hand... there's never an issue. 

A perfectly common everyday occurrence need not be worried about. 

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Don't worry at all.. 'Mirror on mirror' dings or even 'handle bar on mirror' dings are very common when motorcycles are filtering through traffic. 

My mirror gets dinged from time to time - the motorcyclist usually puts up a hand or nods an apology... no big deal. I have also 'dinged' mirrors a couple of times when filtering through traffic on my motorcycle, I do the same, nod an apology or put up a hand... there's never an issue. 

A perfectly common everyday occurrence need not be worried about. 

Ok this is settling, have just heard so many horror stories of the tourist always being at fault and people trying to get money from them lol. Thanks for the insight!

That was my vans mirror you hit and upon checking properly the electronics have been damaged to the tune of 10,000 baht....how soon can you refund me this................:whistling:

p.s. just joking OK...as the others have said forget about it :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, petermik said:

That was my vans mirror you hit and upon checking properly the electronics have been damaged to the tune of 10,000 baht....how soon can you refund me this................:whistling:

p.s. just joking OK...as the others have said forget about it :thumbsup:

LOL sorry booked an early flight, im gone now! 

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

... My mirror gets dinged from time to time - the motorcyclist usually puts up a hand or nods an apology... no big deal. I have also 'dinged' mirrors a couple of times when filtering through traffic on my motorcycle, I do the same, nod an apology or put up a hand... there's never an issue.  ...

And if there is an issue when driving your car, you have the advantage. THUMP, THUMP!  "Oh, he cut across in front of me suddenly." 

9 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

And if there is an issue when driving your car, you have the advantage. THUMP, THUMP!  "Oh, he cut across in front of me suddenly." 

Good reason why I have dashcams on the bike and the car, there will be no question in an accident, all of it is being recorded. Those dashcams have saved me 3 times now, especially since all 3 times I've been hit the Thai drivers lied about what happen, should be everyones first investment after purchasing a vehicle of any kind here. I haven't had a motorcyclist ding my mirror yet, which is surprising, but most mirrors fold, so I doubt any damage would happen.....maybe a scuff, which is easily buffed out, get those in parking lots on occasion.

Archived