Can anyone tell me what Siam Commercial Bank's (SCB) bank code is for the coveted "Foreign Money Deposit" now required by Thai Immigration

Since October of last year I have been following the threads on TVF concerning the shakeup that a few Embassy's caused by cancelling the "Income Affidavits" needed by expats to satisfy Thai immigrations requirements. One of the big concerns now is having the coveted "Foreign Money Deposit" code in/on one's bank book. I know that the Bangkok Bank's code for this is either FTT (Foreign Telegraphic Transfers) or GPSD (Bangkok Bank code for Global Payment & Services Dept). However I bank with Siam Commercial Bank (SCB). I can't remember seeing anyplace what SCB's code is for "Foreign Money Deposits" If it was mentioned in the past I either missed it or forgot to make note of it.
I have 2 questions ..... #1 What is SCB's code for "Foreign Money Deposits" ... #2 can I go inside my SCB bank branch, give them my American bank debit card and request that SCB uses it to transfer the required amount of money from my American bank and directly into my SCB account and will it show up as a "Foreign Money Deposit" This procedure/action was talked about in a past TVF post/thread but I can't remember which thread or which bank it was. Sorry about that. I would appreciate any info/help I can get to clarify both questions. Thank you in advance for any info you may have

5 hours ago, ocddave said:

Here is a list of their codes, not sure what code it would be, none of my Transferwise transactions come thru as international transfers, just as local bank to bank.

https://www.scbeasy.com/v1.4/site/presignon/en/srv/srv_mpg_tcd.asp

This one, maybe?

FRC = เงินโอนต่างประเทศและชำระเงิน
Foreign Remitance & Settlement

Or does this relate to transfers out of Thailand from an SCB account?

6 hours ago, ocddave said:

Here is a list of their codes, not sure what code it would be, none of my Transferwise transactions come thru as international transfers, just as local bank to bank.

ocddave .... thank you so very very much for the time and effort you took to give me some help ... I appreciate it

It may be a good idea to request the US Bank to ensure that the Transfer Form from them has the 'reason for transfer' part filled in with a specific phrase to highlight the fact it is from overseas and for what purpose.  From my experience they usually want something written in there to tick the box for anti money laundering purposes.  They should be able to email that to you for your record purposes, depending on your arrangements with them and internet banking, and you will have further proof.

I must point out that I myself do not use the income method for my visa and am only suggesting this as a back up to whatever codes and stuff you get from SCB.  Just a thought, and may be OTT.

30 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

It may be a good idea to request the US Bank to ensure that the Transfer Form from them has the 'reason for transfer' part filled in with a specific phrase to highlight the fact it is from overseas and for what purpose.  From my experience they usually want something written in there to tick the box for anti money laundering purposes.  They should be able to email that to you for your record purposes, depending on your arrangements with them and internet banking, and you will have further proof.

I must point out that I myself do not use the income method for my visa and am only suggesting this as a back up to whatever codes and stuff you get from SCB.  Just a thought, and may be OTT.

Thanks animalmagic ... dood idea/suggestion(s) ... appreciate your time, help and patience

carken

in regard to your second question, i did this very thing at bbk, using their machine at the desk. and my wf bank debit card, transaction came out in my book as local atm, not foreign.  also got the 220 baht atm fee.

good luck at scb.

• Thanks 1

There was a long thread some time ago about International transfers.

One of the main issues is that individual branches do not have SWIFT codes, only the HQ.

Therefore when you transfer foreign funds they go through the HQ of the bank, who then forward the deposit to your local bank account, but not with the full details of the transfer.

Bangkok bank are the exception, where the details are forwarded, hence FTT transfer at local branch level.

For other banks branches, as far as they are concerned it was a transfer from their HQ to your local account and therefore a 'domestic' or 'local' transfer.

The required information for the International transfer must be requested from the banks HQ.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, IraqRon said:

in regard to your second question, i did this very thing at bbk, using their machine at the desk. and my wf bank debit card, transaction came out in my book as local atm, not foreign.  also got the 220 baht atm fee.

good luck at scb.

That was a cash withdrawal from an ATM, not an International transfer.

I think it depends on the transfer method used. I use TransferWise and the SCB code for the transactions is ATS which stands for Automatic Transfer System. This isn't the code used when I do internal bank to bank transfers. I'm hoping that come extension renewal time that the IO will accept this as being overseas transfers.

14 hours ago, ocddave said:

And they never will.

TW have 3 accounts with Bangkok bank, Kasikorn and TMB.

If you want proof of a foreign transaction ask SCB which of those 3 banks forwarded the funds to your account, then contact that bank for proof of the International transfer.

If using TW for your transactions, it's much simpler to open an account with one of the above 3 banks (BKK recommended) and ask TW to 'tag' your transfer from their matching account.

15 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Why not go into a branch and ask them yourself. 

Then go to 2 or more branches and if you get the same answer you then have a result.  If mixed answers from the branches go to the biggest in your area and ask to speak to the manager, with your partner/Thai translator etc if required to translate. 

Asking that question here on this forum is only going to get you nothing but "in my experience etc" responses which will be as much use as a cat flap in a Thai submarine! or an ashtray on a motorbike.

well said and put.....

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lazybones said:

I think it depends on the transfer method used. I use TransferWise and the SCB code for the transactions is ATS which stands for Automatic Transfer System. This isn't the code used when I do internal bank to bank transfers. I'm hoping that come extension renewal time that the IO will accept this as being overseas transfers.

It depends on the method and the Thai bank.

Read my post #15.

Using TW, your transfer to SCB will always be paid to your local account through BKK, Kasikorn, or TMB.

You need to find out which bank, then request the proof of International transfer from that bank, otherwise don't use TW if your not banking with BKK, Kasikorn or TMB.

I am not competent like Tanoshi, but for the last ten years, I have asked my bank, in Europe, to transfer a certain amount of money to my SCB account.
In 48H, maximum, I am credited (under the reference X1, on the livret thai) and the only expenses are those of my European bank.
eg for 7000 euros = 25 euros.
On request, (for extended long stay) the SCB gives me the details of the transfer, rate included.
Personally, I do not see any problem. Everything is done from bank to bank.

have 2 questions ..... #1 What is SCB's code for "Foreign Money Deposits" ... #2 can I go inside my SCB bank branch, give them my American bank debit card and request that SCB uses it to transfer the required amount of money from my American bank and directly into my SCB account and will it show up as a "Foreign Money Deposit"  

Regarding using a foreign card at the bank counter to withdraw money from your home country bank account and have it deposited in your Thai bank account, it will be coded as any other deposit you would do at the counter.   I do this periodically with my US debit card at Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank where I have accounts.

When you do a counter withdrawal and tell the clerk to also deposit directly into your account with them the clerk will do a transaction that may appear to you as one transaction but it's really two transactions done in close sequence.  First, the withdrawal is done using your card and the funds placed in temporarily holding status until the clerk can accomplish the second transaction which is the deposit transaction where the funds are moved from the holding status into your account.  As mentioned it's coded as any other counter deposit; not as a foreign transfer or from a foreign source.   The only transaction that appears on your passbook/ibanking will be the deposit.

tanoshi,  the op stated in his second question that wanted to use his american bank debit card in just this way.  Not a bank wire transfer.

I have noticed you often get things confused in your posts, don't try to make me out an idiot when you misread a post.  I don't appreciate that. 

15 minutes ago, IraqRon said:

tanoshi,  the op stated in his second question that wanted to use his american bank debit card in just this way.  Not a bank wire transfer.

I didn't answer the Op's second question or make comment on it.

#2 can I go inside my SCB bank branch, give them my American bank debit card and request that SCB uses it to transfer the required amount of money from my American bank and directly into my SCB account and will it show up as a "Foreign Money Deposit"

However it suggests he is asking the SCB to do a wire transfer from his US bank account, which would require his online banking details and is an action the OP should be performing himself.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IraqRon said:

I have noticed you often get things confused in your posts, don't try to make me out an idiot when you misread a post.  I don't appreciate that. 

You made a cash withdrawal using your foreign debit card.

That is not an International transfer and certainly not acceptable to Immigration.

16 hours ago, ocddave said:

I believe the OP Said nothing about TransferWise.

I am with SCB and transfer my pension each month from the UK, when it arrives they notify me on my phone. It arrived yesterday and the message stated IFT, or Inward Funds Transfer. This shows up on my statements as X1 but looks pretty general, not sure if it is good enough for the immigration office though !!

Edited by IssanMichael