Can anyone tell me what Siam Commercial Bank's (SCB) bank code is for the coveted "Foreign Money Deposit" now required by Thai Immigration

6 minutes ago, rwill said:

Looking at my bank book when I have wired money in it shows X1.

Same problem as with other banks.

Paid through HQ to your local account.

X1, X2 = Banking transfer does not use a
Transfer Deposit, Withdrawal Nobook.

That code does not infer it was an overseas transfer.

As with most other banks you'll probably have to ask HQ for a 12 month statement and hope they are coded as 'International', or request a statement of 'International transfers' for the previous 12 month period.

Hi Carken, I have been working on the SCB/documenting foreign transfers problem for some time. It is murky and inconsistent. My foreign income transfers (from the United Nations Federal Credit Union in New York) sometimes come in with a 'chanel code' FRCI, which is Foreign Remittance and Settlement. That's good. BUT some transfers (also from UNFCU) have the channel code ATS, which means Auromatic Transfer System. Not good. Don't know why it's inconsistent. My calls to SCB's customer Service haven't helped much -- the ATS transfers are coming through a correspondent bank that SCB uses in Thailand (see other posts), probably Bangkok Bank. SCB informs me that they cannot verify that these are foreign transfers for bank letter (extnsion of stay based on retirement or marriage) purposes.  Their suggestion is to take your overseas bank statements showing the origin of the transfers to Immigration, and if the dates and amounts match what has come into SCB, and if you refrain from becoming insulting and agressive with the Immigration Officer ????, that should be OK. Even better, get yourself a very smart Thai wife (expensive but worth it ????) who will tell you, as mine did, to use the 800K/400K method until the dust settles.

Removed more off-topic posts that were not specifically about the code shown on a savings account book or statement of savings account of Siam Commercial Bank for an incoming foreign remittance.

From here on, off-topic posts will be removed without individual notice.

Here is a list of their codes, not sure what code it would be, none of my Transferwise transactions come thru as international transfers, just as local bank to bank.

https://www.scbeasy.com/v1.4/site/presignon/en/srv/srv_mpg_tcd.asp

It’s X-1 actually which doesn’t actually say international transfer but that should be good enough I know just because I asked my local immigration office about it, I bank with SCB as well. If it’s not good enough for immigration just have the bank print out all of your credit advices for the whole year for each months deposit and get an official letter from your bank that specifies where your deposits are originating from and that should be all you need. But hopefully your pass book alone is sufficient if not then just get the credit advices for each deposit for each month throughout the year and the bank letter. I could be wrong but the bank letter I believe has to be done within one day of when you go to immigration to renew your extension.

Your best bet is to ask your local immigration office these questions.

As for your question about using your US debit card at the local bank to transfer the funds I can pretty much tell you right now that might not be accepted by immigration. I believe you have to prove that the funds are coming from your home country depending on your type of visa and situation.

You should be transferring the funds from your bank in the states to your SCB account, wire transfers that way the money can be easily traced back to your US bank.

Still your best bet is to ask your local immigration office these questions because your local immigration office might be different from mine as far as the little details such as the deposit code in your pass book. When you update your SCB pass book the code for your deposit should be X-1 and if that’s not good enough for immigration you’ll probably need a letter from your bank. My local immigration office said that the X-1 deposit code in my pass book every month was fine but that’s just where I live so you should really talk to your local immigration office.

22 minutes ago, Mel52 said:

It’s X-1 actually which doesn’t actually say international transfer but that should be good enough I know just because I asked my local immigration office about it...

This appears to depend on the individual  immigration office. Generally, when immigration procedures require written evidence of the foreign source of a deposit into a bank account, the official wants a signed letter from the bank explicitly stating the foreign origin.

Hi Carken, I have been working on the SCB/documenting foreign transfers problem for some time. It is murky and inconsistent. My foreign income transfers (from the United Nations Federal Credit Union in New York) sometimes come in with a 'chanel code' FRCI, which is Foreign Remittance and Settlement. That's good. BUT some transfers (also from UNFCU) have the channel code ATS, which means Auromatic Transfer System. Not good. Don't know why it's inconsistent. My calls to SCB's customer Service haven't helped much -- the ATS transfers are coming through a correspondent bank that SCB uses in Thailand (see other posts), probably Bangkok Bank. SCB informs me that they cannot verify that these are foreign transfers for bank letter (extnsion of stay based on retirement or marriage) purposes.  Their suggestion is to take your overseas bank statements showing the origin of the transfers to Immigration, and if the dates and amounts match what has come into SCB, and if you refrain from becoming insulting and agressive with the Immigration Officer [emoji846], that should be OK. Even better, get yourself a very smart Thai wife (expensive but worth it [emoji846]) who will tell you, as mine did, to use the 800K/400K method until the dust settles.

I’m sorry but some of this information is incorrect and I haven’t even done any extensive research on the matter either. I only spoke with my specific SCB branch and my local immigration office. Immigration definitely does not want to see your US bank statements that probably won’t work. According to my local SCB branch they indeed will verify foreign deposits in a bank letter to immigration, in fact the day I asked SCB about that they actually printed the letter for me lol [emoji2] even though I didn’t need it yet they just printed it. They thought I was asking them for the letter that day so I told them “no no I’m sorry I don’t need the letter today I’m just asking for future reference”.

Regardless my local immigration office already told me that the X1 code in my passbook every month is sufficient for my extensions.

I haven’t even done any extensive research on it but I have asked enough questions in my local city between my local bank SCB and my local immigration office. I also have my credit advice printed each month showing all the details of my monthly income for each international deposit every month throughout the year so I can 100% verify that my money is easily traceable back to the United States. I’m a pensioner as well.

So I guess maybe I have been researching it now that I think about all the information I’ve collected on the matter just to make sure that I’m prepared for my next extension.

20 minutes ago, Maestro said:

This appears to depend on the individual  immigration office. Generally, when immigration procedures require written evidence of the foreign source of a deposit into a bank account, the official wants a signed letter from the bank explicitly stating the foreign origin.

And many local branches can't or don't know, as the funds were deposited in the local account by their Head office. It's coded appropriately in your Passbook.

This an extract from my SCB June statement showing foreign transfer in code
SCB.PNG.80d2468be4b748e946468c4babb191aa.PNG

YES YES, that’s exactly what you should be seeing, THANK YOU! That is one of the several things printed on all of my credit advices from SCB regarding my monthly pension deposits in my account. That’s one of the things I was talking about above that’s the SCB code for international deposit (X1 FRCI). Although in just your pass book it’s only gonna show as X1 so some people might need the credit advices, bank statements, or an additional letter from the bank SCB. But immigration knows that each bank has their own codes I know my local immigration office does because I already asked them about a lot of these things for my next extension next year. My local immigration office told me that this X1 code is sufficient. But that’s just my local immigration office if you want to be sure talk to your local immigration office.
  • Like 1

You made a cash withdrawal using your foreign debit card.

That is not an International transfer and certainly not acceptable to Immigration.

That’s more than likely true. I never asked my bank or immigration about that specifically but that’s pretty obvious what you said and more than likely not excepted by immigration because it doesn’t exactly prove where your money originated from. I agree with you. I definitely would never do it that way using my US debit card because you’re probably right.

And many local branches can't or don't know, as the funds were deposited in the local account by their Head office. It's coded appropriately in your Passbook.

That’s also true. But just one thing my local SCB branch actually gets their information I request from their head office in their computer system right at my local SCB branch. Such as whenever I have a statement or a credit advice printed. Whenever I ask for information like that which could possibly include a letter from SCB in the future probably not according to my local immigration office because they said the X1 code in my pass book is sufficient, but so far I’ve only been asking for my credit advice every month at least one day after payday, just for my own personal records so far.

Whenever I have SCB print my credit advice for my current monthly international direct deposit international wire transfers before that they could only do it the day after my international deposit posted because that information comes from their head office and you know how banks are everything takes at least one business day not including weekends and holidays.

For example after my last payday on May 31st I couldn’t get my credit advice printed till June 4th because their head office was closed for the weekend Saturday and Sunday (June 1st and 2nd), plus Monday June 3rd was also a Thai holiday so the head office for SCB didn’t open till June 4th and I had to wait till their head office opened on June 4th till I could get my credit advice printed at my local SCB branch.

So my point is SCB local branches does have access to information from their head office as long as you ask for it on a day when their head office is open. It’s the same for Bangkok Bank where I have an additional account and all banks in Thailand and around the world.

Not where I live but I can get a letter from my local SCB branch if I need one. I asked my local SCB branch and my local immigration office. The X1 code is fine according to my local immigration office and according to my local SCB branch I can get a letter as well if need be and I’ve actually seen what the bank letter from SCB looks like.

SCB has access to all the information from their head office as long you ask for it on a day when their head office is open then they can print it for you. It’s the same whenever I have them print my credit advice every month I have to wait at least one day after payday and I can only ask for it on a day when their head office is open not on a weekend or a Thai holiday when their head office is closed.

For example my last payday via international direct deposit (IDD) was on May 31st, so I had to wait till their head office was open to have my local SCB branch print my credit advice for my last monthly international deposit. June 1st and 2nd was Saturday and Sunday plus Monday June 3rd was a Thai holiday. So my local SCB branch told me specifically that they could not print my credit advice for my current months payday until their head office opened up again on Tuesday June 4th. So I went back on Tuesday June 4th and they printed out my current months credit advice for my last payday. I do this every month at least one day after payday. So I’ve kind of figured these things out just by asking questions at my local bank and my local immigration and by trial and error.

12 hours ago, IraqRon said:

tanoshi,  the op stated in his second question that wanted to use his american bank debit card in just this way.  Not a bank wire transfer.

I have noticed you often get things confused in your posts, don't try to make me out an idiot when you misread a post.  I don't appreciate that. 

12 hours ago, Pib said:

Regarding using a foreign card at the bank counter to withdraw money from your home country bank account and have it deposited in your Thai bank account, it will be coded as any other deposit you would do at the counter.   I do this periodically with my US debit card at Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank where I have accounts.

When you do a counter withdrawal and tell the clerk to also deposit directly into your account with them the clerk will do a transaction that may appear to you as one transaction but it's really two transactions done in close sequence.  First, the withdrawal is done using your card and the funds placed in temporarily holding status until the clerk can accomplish the second transaction which is the deposit transaction where the funds are moved from the holding status into your account.  As mentioned it's coded as any other counter deposit; not as a foreign transfer or from a foreign source.   The only transaction that appears on your passbook/ibanking will be the deposit.

Thank you Pib .... excellent information ... I really appreciate your time and effort to help me

carken

10 hours ago, weelegs said:

Hi Carken, I have been working on the SCB/documenting foreign transfers problem for some time. It is murky and inconsistent. My foreign income transfers (from the United Nations Federal Credit Union in New York) sometimes come in with a 'chanel code' FRCI, which is Foreign Remittance and Settlement. That's good. BUT some transfers (also from UNFCU) have the channel code ATS, which means Auromatic Transfer System. Not good. Don't know why it's inconsistent. My calls to SCB's customer Service haven't helped much -- the ATS transfers are coming through a correspondent bank that SCB uses in Thailand (see other posts), probably Bangkok Bank. SCB informs me that they cannot verify that these are foreign transfers for bank letter (extnsion of stay based on retirement or marriage) purposes.  Their suggestion is to take your overseas bank statements showing the origin of the transfers to Immigration, and if the dates and amounts match what has come into SCB, and if you refrain from becoming insulting and agressive with the Immigration Officer ????, that should be OK. Even better, get yourself a very smart Thai wife (expensive but worth it ????) who will tell you, as mine did, to use the 800K/400K method until the dust settles.

weelegs ... excellent info and just the kind I need to figure out how to solve the SCB bank book "International transfer" code situation ... thank you for your time and effort to help me

carken

9 hours ago, Mel52 said:

I’m sorry but some of this information is incorrect and I haven’t even done any extensive research on the matter either. I only spoke with my specific SCB branch and my local immigration office. Immigration definitely does not want to see your US bank statements that probably won’t work. According to my local SCB branch they indeed will verify foreign deposits in a bank letter to immigration, in fact the day I asked SCB about that they actually printed the letter for me lol emoji2.png even though I didn’t need it yet they just printed it. They thought I was asking them for the letter that day so I told them “no no I’m sorry I don’t need the letter today I’m just asking for future reference”.

Regardless my local immigration office already told me that the X1 code in my passbook every month is sufficient for my extensions.

I haven’t even done any extensive research on it but I have asked enough questions in my local city between my local bank SCB and my local immigration office. I also have my credit advice printed each month showing all the details of my monthly income for each international deposit every month throughout the year so I can 100% verify that my money is easily traceable back to the United States. I’m a pensioner as well.

So I guess maybe I have been researching it now that I think about all the information I’ve collected on the matter just to make sure that I’m prepared for my next extension.

Thank you Mel52 .... that's exactly the type of info I was seeking and will dictate my actions to get an acceptable code in my SCB bank book ... I appreciate the time and effort you put in to help me :)

Thank you Mel52 .... that's exactly the type of info I was seeking and will dictate my actions to get an acceptable code in my SCB bank book ... I appreciate the time and effort you put in to help me :)

Well hopefully you realize that this information may depend on where you live as in which immigration office you use. The SCB branches are different just like all the banks but if one branch gives you a hard time there’s always other branches and other banks if necessary. I’m just providing my own personal experience and from what I’ve been reading on this forum it’s quite often different for each individual person living in Thailand especially for people living in the bigger cities in Thailand as I suspect you probably are judging by your tone and outlook. [emoji3]
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, carken said:

Thank you Mel52 .... that's exactly the type of info I was seeking and will dictate my actions to get an acceptable code in my SCB bank book ... I appreciate the time and effort you put in to help me ????

You will not be able to get the code changed in your bank book.

Request a statement for your account at a SCB branch and it will show the correct code and may enven state it is a international transfer.

I have not read  the 4  pages, I have just looked in my  bankbook ( I am at SCB ), and money from abroad ( Transfer wise and Xendpay ) are written " X 1 " ( transfer deposit .Withdrawal Nobook " in their Transaction and Channel Codes ) 

Request a statement for your account at a SCB branch and it will show the correct code and may enven state it is a international transfer.

Yes exactly that’s what myself and some other people were talking about above yesterday. I have my statements/credit advices printed every payday mostly for my own personal records and just in case immigration actually does need to see more than just my pass book or wants to verify more carefully that my deposits really are coming from the states. If need be I can also get a bank letter from my local SCB branch I asked them. According to my local immigration office I won’t need one just my pass book but I don’t have to do my extension again till January and you never know they might be more strict next year so I just like to be prepared for anything just in case.

But yes of course with SCB the code in your pass book for any kind of deposit is always X1, obviously you can’t influence that. So yes it’s a very good idea to have all your bank records handy when you visit immigration. On your SCB bank statements the full code for an international deposit from overseas is X-1 FRCI but the credit advices for each months paydays are a lot more detailed. My credit advices actually show specifically where my funds originated from. For example I just started using the international direct deposit (IDD) program for my VA pension payments and my last credit advice specifically said that my deposit originated from the Department of Veterans Affairs and a lot of other information about my deposits.

The credit advice verifies everything such as your name on the account, your Thai bank account number, the amount of each deposit, the date of each deposit which is the same in your pass book, it shows the exchange rate you received on your payment date, and most importantly it verifies exactly where your pension payments are originating from and the country of origin. The credit advice also verifies lots of other information but what I listed is the most important information that it verifies. The regular bank statements you can just print using your own personal computer at home through your SCB online banking just like in the states.

I’m sorry I just thought the person who replied to me was just being smart or something, yesterday we had a pretty long dialogue about the SCB international deposit code (X1 FRCI) which can be found on your bank statements and credit advices.
  • Like 1

And yes if you pull your SCB bank statements it will show the correct code or rather the full code for an international deposit (X-1 FRCI) and yes it most certainly does show it as an international transfer or international deposit I know because I pull my bank statements and credit advices from my local SCB branch every single month after I get paid. I don’t think I appropriately replied to the person you were talking to. Even if you do still need a bank letter it’s still a lot easier than traveling all the way down to the embassy in Bangkok to get the old income affidavits once a year, I like these procedures a lot better than the old way. I know some people don’t but I really do think it’s a much easier immigration system I’ll see exactly how it goes in January again.

I have not read  the 4  pages, I have just looked in my  bankbook ( I am at SCB ), and money from abroad ( Transfer wise and Xendpay ) are written " X 1 " ( transfer deposit .Withdrawal Nobook " in their Transaction and Channel Codes ) 

Just like Joe and I both said be sure and pull your bank statements every month after you get paid. I also pull my credit advices as well every month because they’re extremely detailed about each months international deposit.

Joe can probably give you more information because I’ve never used those apps like transfer wise. I’ve always done my international wire transfers manually over the phone with my bank and now I’m using the international direct deposit program through the VA so I don’t have to do anything anymore I just automatically receive my direct deposits in my SCB account from the VA. I’m retired military and a 100% disabled veteran.

2 hours ago, Mel52 said:

Just like Joe and I both said be sure and pull your bank statements every month after you get paid. I also pull my credit advices as well every month because they’re extremely detailed about each months international deposit.

I have transfer from abroad only one or two times a year, not every month: you mean after the transfer, I can go to my branch and ask for a bank statement ? I can't do that from my Internet scb account ? so far, my immigration never ask me anything, but who knows ? 

I have transfer from abroad only one or two times a year, not every month: you mean after the transfer, I can go to my branch and ask for a bank statement ? I can't do that from my Internet scb account ? so far, my immigration never ask me anything, but who knows ? 

You can get it through your online banking but I always get my bank statements and credit advices from my local SCB branch because they’re more detailed. I just keep them for my records and if my local immigration office ever wants to see more details about my monthly international deposits when I’m renewing my extension then I’ll have the documentation for them IF they ask for it when I do my next extension.

I don’t know if you’re on a marriage visa or extension or a retirement visa or extension or something else but if you only receive one or two transfers a year I’m assuming that you are probably going by the 800K baht in the bank method or the 400K method depending on what kind of visa you’re on. Remember for a retirement it’s either a minimum of 65K baht a month or 800K baht in savings and for a marriage or family visa extension it’s either a minimum of 40K baht a month or 400K baht in savings which must be in a Thai bank account coming in from abroad. If you are on a work permit or something then I’m sure it’s a lot different but I wouldn’t know anything about work permits in Thailand. If there’s anything you don’t understand the guy to ask is ubonjoe he pretty much has almost all the answers related to these things especially Visas and extensions he’ll give you the answer if I haven’t or can’t.

But anyway I always get my SCB bank statements and credit advices from my local SCB branch and yes they are very detailed about where your money is coming from and detailed about other things as well. I don’t think you can get the credit advice on your online banking so I just get both documents from my local SCB branch every month after payday the bank statements and credit advices every month. We have to go to the bank to update our pass books anyway so I figure might as well have them print it out for me while I’m there. It’s just a monthly errand we have to do it’s not really out of my way at all it’s in the mall and I usually go to the mall on payday anyway to pay my AIS bill. In fact when I go to the bank next week after payday I better remember to bring my passport with me because I’m on my last page in my bank book and I’ll need an additional new pass book next week and you need to show ID for them to make a new pass book, for us foreigners that’s always passport. I remember last time they told me that at the bank to bring my passport with me next time I update my SCB pass book because I’m on my last page in my current pass book. When I do my next extension in January I’ll probably have two or three SCB pass books by then. My wife and I like to get out and do a lot of things when we can but sometimes we’ll hangout around the house all day for days and spend no money. Then there are some times when we’ll be out spending money like crazy and doing and seeing stuff. But we still do pretty good my pension is good and Thailand is cheaper.

9 hours ago, Mel52 said:

...But yes of course with SCB the code in your pass book for any kind of deposit is always X1, obviously you can’t influence that...

In my SCB bank books, some deposits have the code X1, others have XD, and the explanations for the codes do not indicate what code applies to what type of deposit. For both codes, it says "Transfer Deeposit"

SCB codes - book.png

Contumelious... lmao... I had too look that up, and I love it.

i wonder if that’s the origins of the old saying...  to make a contume... 

anyway... to avoid being one.... and because I only saw page one of the thread, I’ll jump in and say... I believe the code is X1.

i received monthly wages for several years, coming from several cont trees, into a SCB savings account, and they all have the code X1 ( all? I checked several pages of an official summary prepared for a court case, so... maybe they changed it, and I’m simply out of date... but not out of cont...) ????????????

In my SCB bank books, some deposits have the code X1, others have XD, and the explanations for the codes do not indicate what code applies to what type of deposit. For both codes, it says "Transfer Deeposit"

1728130367_SCBcodes-book.png.57ca93e8c1486e2664bc32601560de42.png&key=5ab3e465868ee584b314d15813f8be41a229cbe8160d862263148692f32ab3ac

Huh that’s interesting my SCB pass book only has the X1 code I don’t have the XD code in mine maybe you have a different type of account I have no idea. I don’t know is yours a checking account or a fixed savings account or something like that? I just have a regular savings account with the MasterCard debit card and online banking I don’t know everything about Thai banks

As an afterthought.... I had several transactions that I was unsure about, so I went into the bank and asked. It took two weeks, but every question was answered by head office staff. In need, I’m sure your branch could explain every X1 transfer (or have the head office dredge up the info)

24 minutes ago, jany123 said:

...i received monthly wages for several years, coming from several cont trees, into a SCB savings account, and they all have the code X1...

It doesn't say so anywhere in the bank book but because I know where my deposits came from I know that X1 was used for inward transfers from abroad and XD for domestic transfers. I have both types in my SCB bank books.

• Like 1