The frustration of buying the new Accord

eisfeld

So I have been interested in the new Honda Accord for a good while now. There was a topic about the new G10 Accord opened in 2017. That's the year when it was introduced in the US. More than one and a half years later and we're finally seeing it available in Thailand (partially).

I was sure I wanted the 2.0 with 10 speed auto but they don't offer it in Thailand. Disappointing but par for the course here. Choices are 1.5 Turbo with CVT or Hybrid. I tested the 1.5 and didn't mind the engine much. Could use a bit of oomph but at least the CVT fakes gears and doesn't provide a constant droning noise. But the 1.5 is missing lots of features so my mind turned to the Hybrid. I know from Youtube videos that the Hybrid does make the constant droning noise at full throttle but I hoped under normal driving conditions that would not happen. The Hybrid does have a lot more torque down low which should be nice for city speeds.

Here's where the real frustration starts. Test drives according to dealers are "maybe" in August. And the dealer in Rama 2 said if I order now, I will get the car March of 2020! Honda advertises a promotion until the end of the month where you get a Garmin smart watch if ordering the Hybrid so I thought maybe I just take the risk and order without a test ride. Dealer says promotion finished already, they just give a little gasoline voucher worth a fraction. Called Honda HQ and they said that's not true and the dealer is BSing me. I guess because they want the smartwatch themselves.

Another frustration is that the exterior color dictates the interiour. If you choose white outside then you only get black inside. They advertise a nice brown leather on the top trim but if you dare to choose white outside then not for you! Pay 12k THB extra for white exterior and get downgraded interior. So I said fine, how much to at least change the console and front door panels to the white ones? Dealer said it's impossible. I said if I damage these parts, they will have to replace them so of course one can order the parts in a different color and change the black ones for white ones. Dealer said again, they wont do it. Fsck! I want to pay them and they don't want the business...

We tried the 1.5 Turbo and my GF found the passanger seat to be a bit low. Only the drivers seat could be height-adjusted. So we spoke to 3 different dealers and asked if the front passanger seat can do this on the Hybrid models. We got 3 different answers. First dealer said no, can not, only 4 way adjustment there compared to 8 for driver. Second one said on Hybrid the passanger can adjust 6 way but not height. Third one said Hybrid can do 8 way like driver. The spec sheet says 4 way. So who knows who is speaking the truth if everyone gives totally different answers. In the end I called Honda Thailand directly and asked them to file a ticket with HQ so I can get definitive answers in one or two days.

Same for the rear folding seats. Turns out the 1.5 can only fold the whole row as one piece. Nobody could answer if the Hybrid could split 60-40.

The other frustrating thing is that the Accord here lacks quite a bit of features compared to other countries like ventilated seats.

Icing on the cake was when my GF was on the phone with a dealer in BKK and as soon as they saw she spoke some words english just hung up on her.

The whole pre-buying experience is already total <deleted> so how will it be for actual after sales service? I don't want to even think about it. It's all "mai roo" and "mai dai". Sorry for venting a bit but I really hope if more people raise the public awareness of how bad the experience is then maybe, maybe one day things will improve a bit.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

The whole pre-buying experience is already total <deleted> so how will it be for actual after sales service?

I had some Idea already of buying vehicles in Thailand so wasn't bother much but you soon find out how little sales people know of what are selling & the extra money dealers want at services.

Yours reminds me our Isuzu truck we bought first it was colour choice and after 3 days, "mai dai" can only have colour with top of range !! OK so picked colour we could have. 

Then was the time trick, " You truck is on order and it may take sometime "   how long    "mai roo" OK  "we have one stock similar much cheaper" look at it and nah they were trying to palm us off with a more basic model.

Picking up the truck in the long 2 week wait ???? my Mrs told me after they were concerned we wouldn't buy the truck because I joked with the salesman looking under the hood who thought he knew everything, me saying where's the biturbo this has only got one. "He said no such thing my Mrs said". ????

The next thing was 10,000K service, they wanted to change the brake fluid and clutch fluid, I said no need, they said will affect warranty, I said bye-bye and went to Cockpit.

on the Thai Honda website the Accord spec sheets also has an English version (from page 5). I assume (dangerous i know!) that if there was a difference between the 1.5 and Hybrid that it would be say so. For the fold-down rear seat it seems to be the same in both models. For the front seats the driver has 8 way adjustment for both models, while the passenger seat has 4 way in both models. The only difference between the 2 models for front passenger seat is "Power front passenger's seat adjustment switch" for the Hybrid; whatever that means, as it already states power in "4 way Power front passenger seat".

https://www.honda.co.th/specsheet/Honda Accord Specsheet 2019_A4_TH-EN.pdf#view=FitH

I've been looking at new cars too, and it is frustrating that the interior colour is tied to the exterior colour. Might be worthwhile getting a quote for a retrim if it really bugs you. I had a Jazz done in leather (goat, i was told) for THB 10,500 including the door trim halves (lower part was the usual moulded plastic), and it was a nice job.

Sounds like you're better off buying the Camry 2.5G and swapping in a 3.5L V6 from Australia. Should be a simple process as Australia is also RHD and uses the same gearbox, I estimate the total cost of swapping the engine would be 200k baht. Dealers should have no problem servicing it because it's the same engine used in the 2006 Camry V6, which Toyota used to sell officially.

The Camry 2.5G has 8-way adjustable passenger seat.

Sales people are clueless, never ask them anything. People who know about cars and are passionate about them don't get into car sales.

19 minutes ago, taichiplanet said:

on the Thai Honda website the Accord spec sheets also has an English version (from page 5). I assume (dangerous i know!) that if there was a difference between the 1.5 and Hybrid that it would be say so. For the fold-down rear seat it seems to be the same in both models. For the front seats the driver has 8 way adjustment for both models, while the passenger seat has 4 way in both models. The only difference between the 2 models for front passenger seat is "Power front passenger's seat adjustment switch" for the Hybrid; whatever that means, as it already states power in "4 way Power front passenger seat".

https://www.honda.co.th/specsheet/Honda Accord Specsheet 2019_A4_TH-EN.pdf#view=FitH

I've been looking at new cars too, and it is frustrating that the interior colour is tied to the exterior colour. Might be worthwhile getting a quote for a retrim if it really bugs you. I had a Jazz done in leather (goat, i was told) for THB 10,500 including the door trim halves (lower part was the usual moulded plastic), and it was a nice job.

Yes I studied the spec sheet but regarding the Power Front Passenger Seat Adjustment Switch: Noone really could explain what this is, so I thought maybe some additional adjustment on top of the 4-way? Waiting for info from Honda HQ on that. And you never know if those spec sheets are complete or not. About the folding seats they just state yes can fold. But it's one piece in the turbo and I've seen in other countries they have trims with 60/40 split. Since there are no Hybrids in the showroom it's hard to tell, can only ask Honda.

About the interior color: that's exactly what I tried to have them do. But they said they wouldn't change the parts even though I would pay for them. I asked what if the parts are damaged, then you have to replace them so parts can be ordered right? "No, we don't replace them". It's like talking to a brick wall.

22 minutes ago, MatteoBassini said:

The Camry 2.5G has 8-way adjustable passenger seat.

Yea saw that. But the Camry has other issues like no Android Auto (the whole infotainment is outdated) and the rear seats can't be folded at all so no way to carry larger items. There's just a tiny hole behind the armrest. Not sure who thought that would be a good idea.

The sales guy at Toyota seemed much more knowledgable. They also have the same color nonsense going on where if you choose white (and pay extra) then you get only the black interior. Asked about if one can swap the interior he said yes but 1. It would be extremely expensive because of the airbags and 2. it would apparently void the warranty even if using OEM parts and done by Toyota itself which is a nogo.

I wouldnt swap the engine of a brand new car, not worth it imho. Warranty issues, import headaches, trusting mechanics to do it properly...

8 hours ago, eisfeld said:

The spec sheet says 4 way. So who knows who is speaking the truth if everyone gives totally different answers.

Believe the spec sheet. If you believe the seller and it´s wrong what he said, you will hear a "mai bpen rai", that´s it.

Generally: if the car is completely imported they can change anything - and don´t want. If the car is imported in parts (as usual) and completed in Thailand it´s the same as above. 

I was interested in the BMW X3 and full of hope that it will come, when the new model came out, with ventilated seats. But no, they have a useless huge panoramic glass roof but no seat cooling. More crazy: the brand new X5 is offered everywhere with the option "cooled and heated cup holder". Not in Thailand. Huge glass roof but no options they make sense in a hot country.

If I buy a crazy expensive car like the X3 for 3.7 mio. Baht, it must be an absolutely perfect dream car and not one where I have to put a towel on my seat that I don´t get wet trousers from sweat. Also at the 5.7 mio. Baht X5. 

6 hours ago, MatteoBassini said:

Sales people are clueless, never ask them anything. People who know about cars and are passionate about them don't get into car sales.

Sales people are clueless, ('Thai' sales people are clueless)

Da Roadrunner is offended... former car salesman and life long petrol head

1 hour ago, jaiyen said:

really don't know why you would want to buy an Accord. They are a crappy car, have always had very low sales and there is much better on the market. 

That’s your opinion, mine is the opposite. My experience with Accord has been excellent. Yes there are more Camrys on the road but low Accord sales?? Look around you!

1 hour ago, jaiyen said:

really don't know why you would want to buy an Accord. They are a crappy car, have always had very low sales and there is much better on the market. 

It would be traditional,certainly more helpful,if one included examples of the better options for a large saloon car in that price range rather than just an unsubstantiated negative. 

The 2.0 and 2.4 engines are very old technology units so the new more efficient 1.5 turbo should not be a disappointment in that respect. I certainly wouldn’t mess around swapping interior parts out - notwithstanding warranty issues any refitting (especially by a Thai dealer)would be of inferior workmanship to factory fitted, potentially leading to annoying squeaks and creaking. 

If it doesn't have the seat height adjuster in the Hybrid then the Old Skool work around would be to put spacers under the seat rails, not an ideal solution i know.

For the interior i was talking about an upholstery company, not through the dealer. Even if they can't give you a cost on the new Accord interior, they would know the cost to do the earlier model; just to give you a rough idea of cost if you want to eventually change it.

i had looked at getting the Accord but for me the Civic is enough for a run around. They seem to share the same spec 1.5 motor but the Accord has a bit more power; i assume through the ECU.

There are other brands ...........  When I came I had a Volvo 244 (yes, some distant past) which was not a fit car for this climate as assembled in Sweden at that time. Then I had a Toyota Crown, the dealership screwed me after they had the "booking money" of Baht 20K; arrived with seven months delay "solly Sil". A BMW was next; got tailgated and waited five months for spares. Then, a very exotic Opel came; that car spent more time at P.S.A. dealership than anywhere else as they could not find the problem (actually was an easy valve adjustment at the end). A Suzuki followed, the automatic gear box never functioned properly. A Honda was next, dealership in Pattaya = hopeless in fixing an electrical problem. Nissan sold me a CRV 18 months ago and promised an English manual which I, despite countless calls and visits, have not received until today = half the function unknown. The wife went for a Chevrolet Captiva = see gearbox issue which never got solved and we finally had to get a new automatic gear box. Ford is the latest brand, to this day I was unable to get an extra replacement key from Ford (as they cannot cut keys despite B 5300+ for the disassembled key) = got a copy.

In short, it has to do with the after sales; once the money is with them then you're history. They have not the faintest idea of customer service, latter being an attitude and not a department. But it will take light years for these ignorant idiots to understand ......... 

4 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

In short, it has to do with the after sales; once the money is with them then you're history. They have not the faintest idea of customer service,

I’d say most people will agree with that based on common experiences. Having said that I’ve almost always had good service and after sales from Honda. There was the time I went into my then local Honda and was impolitely told by a salesperson that she wouldn’t answer my question because I didn’t buy my car with her. She had in fact been the person I first looked at the car with. It was definitely MY fault that the day I ordered it she wasn’t there!

ive been waiting to see the new Accord. Showroom called me when they had one and said I could have one in July. Same boring colour/interior choices as always.

based on current FX rates I’ve decided no to change just yet. My current car is still very low mileage and looks and drives like new.

Your comments seem typical of the frustrations encountered when dealing with many of the car dealerships in Thailand - its always astonishing how useless they are, as if they don't care if they sell or not. 

In the market for a new car, last year my Wife and I visited a Honda showroom. The seat in the Accord was too far forwards, such that I couldn't get my knees under the dash. 

I asked the sales person if they could 'turn on the car' or at least connect something so I could move the electric seat back... the simply response... "Cannot".. My Thai is good enough to be clear that I didn't want to start the ignition etc... regardless, my Wife asked the same question, and gain was told "cannot"... when I asked why... "no key" was the answer... What? we just left and went to Ford (as similarly poor encounter)... we ended up getting a Mazda CX-5.

Just a thought but before you buy you might want to consider a CR-V.  We used to own sedans but after we bought our first SUV we would never go back.  We've had our new CR-V for about 10 months now and love it. Very comfortable, very stable, great in floods, and the interior is so useful and holds so much.

1 hour ago, Mansell said:

Check out the Suzuki Ciaz.....I have a two year old one and really enjoy driving this car, also very cold a/c. Also roomy inside and lots of oomph.

That car is not even remotely comparable to the Accord. 91hp@6000 and 119Nm@4800 lots of oomph? We probably have very different definitions of oomph. Maybe if you compare it to a Honda Click? Heck, the Click probably out-accelerates this ????

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

we ended up getting a Mazda CX-5.

The sales woman at Mazda in Phuket was much more knowledgable and helpful compared to any other dealership. I like the design of the Mazdas. Unfortunately the Mazda 3 Hatch has a super tiny trunk and the engine could have more power. The CX-5 has enough space but should get a completely revamped on in a year or so, wouldn't want to buy one now. If they brought the updated models this year then I'd likely end up with a Mazda.

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Just a thought but before you buy you might want to consider a CR-V.  We used to own sedans but after we bought our first SUV we would never go back.  We've had our new CR-V for about 10 months now and love it. Very comfortable, very stable, great in floods, and the interior is so useful and holds so much.

A friend of mine has the CR-V. Not a bad car but also getting a bit old in the tooth. An new version should appear maybe in a year. It desperately needs the infotainment of the Accord.

Honda Thailand just called me back and said even the Hybrid can only fold the rear seats in one piece and that the passenger seat can only be adjusted 4 ways (contrary to dealer infos). Reminded them that I wanted to know what the adjustment switch in the spec sheet is they said they don't know much about the Hybrid (lol who else should know if not Honda?) and that I should wait until the end of next month when the car is in dealerships to check and find out myself what it is...

They also couldn't tell me anything about delivery times. They just said every dealer has their own quota and they have no overview over these whatsoever.

•  
  22 hours ago, eisfeld said:

The whole pre-buying experience is already total <deleted> so how will it be for actual after sales service?

"..... I had some Idea already of buying vehicles in Thailand so wasn't bother much but you soon find out how little sales people know of what are selling..."

Yep, we visited the Chevxxxxx showroom on Mahidol Road in Chiang Mai to look at their vehicles, instantly approached by 2 'pretties' in short skirts, son asks a question about mileage per litre, answer from both pretties 'it's very beautiful'.

Son tries to talk to some real sales staff, they just abruptly refer us back to the pretties.

We walk out.

2 hours ago, eisfeld said:

The sales woman at Mazda in Phuket was much more knowledgable and helpful compared to any other dealership. I like the design of the Mazdas. Unfortunately the Mazda 3 Hatch has a super tiny trunk and the engine could have more power. The CX-5 has enough space but should get a completely revamped on in a year or so, wouldn't want to buy one now. If they brought the updated models this year then I'd likely end up with a Mazda.

The cx-5 is new, so only expect a minor model change as the next revamp. New engines are overseas; may take a while to get them here. 

2 hours ago, eisfeld said:

A friend of mine has the CR-V. Not a bad car but also getting a bit old in the tooth. An new version should appear maybe in a year. It desperately needs the infotainment of the Accord.

There may be a minor revision of the crv, no new model yet, as this one was new in 2017. I have the diesel version - been in Europe a few years and is known for reliability in that market. The 2.4 has been around a long time with minor revisions in each generation. It's known for reliability as well. I would have waited for the accord but it can flood in my area, so wanted a higher vehicle. 

16 minutes ago, myjawe said:

Accor has never been a good car,

Assuming you actually mean Accord...I couldn’t disagree more. Mine has been excellent. A couple of years ago I text drove both 3 and 5 series BMW having owned both back home. I couldn’t find any reason to pay double or triple the price of an Accord 

19 minutes ago, myjawe said:

You get what you pay for, right ?

Accor has never been a good car, so if you really want a good one, visit Lexus at least, but if you have some style, go to Benz and Bmw, stop thinking cheap !

No you don't. Buy a Benz or BMW, you'll pay 110% in import duty, plus 2-3 times in servicing costs.

Style is for people with more money than brains. Some of the Japanese and Korean brands kill the Germans.

If I had the money, I'd be buying a Kia Stinger. Pisses all over the Benz equivalent at half the price.

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

There may be a minor revision of the crv, no new model yet, as this one was new in 2017. I have the diesel version - been in Europe a few years and is known for reliability in that market. The 2.4 has been around a long time with minor revisions in each generation. It's known for reliability as well. I would have waited for the accord but it can flood in my area, so wanted a higher vehicle. 

Maybe it'll take 2 years but the Honda dealer told me they wont bother getting a CRV demo car anymore because a new one is on the horizon. Maybe 2021?

Archived