TM 30 Requirement at Chiang Rai immigration

From reading many posts it appears that the requirements for filing the TM 30 varies by immigration office.  Here is my experience at Chiang Rai immigration today.

i am on a retirement extension and live in Chiang Rai with my wife.  This past weekend I sent a few days in Bangkok and stayed at a large hotel chain so I assume that they reported me to immigration.  I returned yesterday and this morning my wife and I went to the immigration office to do my 90 day report and to get a re-entry permit since I will be going to the US at the end of July.  I had some time but I wanted to go today just in case we needed to submit a TM 30 after my stay in Bangkok.  After doing my 90 day report and getting my re-entry permit, my wife asked if it was necessary to file another TM30 if I didn’t leave the country.  The IO said yes.  It is required anytime I would spend the night away from home.  In preparation for this, we did have the TM30 filled out.  I also had my hotel receipt and boarding passes.  The IO only asked to see my boarding pass from BKK to CEI to confirm I arrived yesterday.

5 minutes ago, legend49 said:

My experiences at CNX IMO is never ask questions on what could be an issue, it wakes them up to find issues. Just smile and wait.

You neither read the OP properly, nor my reply. The topic is TM30 enforcement in Chiang Rai which has been extremely strict - your experiences in Chiang Mai are irrelevant. 

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

CR has been one of the more extreme offices on this for some time now. Commiserations. 

The IO did give my wife instructions how how to file the TM 30 on-line.  In the future I’m sure my wife will make me do it.  ????

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:
15 minutes ago, legend49 said:

My experiences at CNX IMO is never ask questions on what could be an issue, it wakes them up to find issues. Just smile and wait.

You neither read the OP properly, nor my reply. The topic is TM30 enforcement in Chiang Rai which has been extremely strict - your experiences in Chiang Mai are irrelevant. 

If I read the OP correctly, he managed to do 90d report and new re-entry permit successfully in a situation the local immigration office states is expired TM30. OP is that correct? Were you not asked for the TM30 receipt to get those service? And only after, he gave him self in, so to speak..

Doesn't that mean the office contradicted themshelves already in theory and practice.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, statman78 said:

This past weekend I sent a few days in Bangkok and stayed at a large hotel chain so I assume that they reported me to immigration.

I think this is a misunderstanding for many

Yes a hotel will report you were "there"

But sadly it is your job to yet report again that you are now "here" (meaning returned to CR or where ever home is in Thailand)

1 hour ago, statman78 said:

The IO did give my wife instructions how how to file the TM 30 on-line.  In the future I’m sure my wife will make me do it.  ????

I just did my TM30 using the "Section 38" app (as they call it), as I returned to CM yesterday from an overseas trip. You're gonna hafta read Thai pretty well to cope with it. Even then, it's confusing. When you think you have everything ready to submit, and you hit the submit button, there's another confirmation asking whether you really want to submit. Neither wife nor I was sure what they were asking, but clicked on "Agree." It seemed to work. You can see the data you've sent with a link from the home screen.

• Like 2

Did the hotel ask for your passport when checking in?  If not it was never reported.  I have only once been asked to show my passport checking into a hotel or resort.  My wife just shows her Thai ID.

12 hours ago, statman78 said:

The IO told me that it is required anytime I spend any time away from my house.

This is indeed what Chiang Rai office have been insisting on for some time now, to the obvious bafflement of some respondents to this thread. Chiang Rai have taken a more extreme line than many offices in the country by requiring this for any overnight stay away from home, even one in the same province. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:
15 hours ago, statman78 said:

The IO told me that it is required anytime I spend any time away from my house.

This is indeed what Chiang Rai office have been insisting on for some time now, to the obvious bafflement of some respondents to this thread. Chiang Rai have taken a more extreme line than many offices in the country by requiring this for any overnight stay away from home, even one in the same province. 

In this case though they didn't require it. He got his 90 day report done and after was told that new TM30 must be done because he asked. This is comparable to riding to a police station to inquire should I use a helmet while riding. The answer they give makes sense as it is the literal law but a very few offices have taken to enforce it such a demanding way. Phuket for one we know has, I don't know the details. The whole point of needing to make a new TM30 is to refuse all service, 90 day report, until you have made the new TM30 and paid the possible fine.

17 hours ago, rwill said:

Did the hotel ask for your passport when checking in?  If not it was never reported.  I have only once been asked to show my passport checking into a hotel or resort.  My wife just shows her Thai ID.

Yes, the hotel did ask for my passport.  I'm not sure if the looked at the TM 6 in my which is stapled in my passport.