Bangkok cabbie fined 2,000 baht for taking Filipino tourists to Chonburi instead of Petchaburi Road!

Jonathan Fairfield

Bangkok cabbie fined 2,000 baht for taking Filipino tourists to Chonburi instead of Petchaburi Road!

js1.jpg

Image: JS100

A Bangkok taxi driver has been fined after taking a group of tourists to Chonburi province instead of a short hop to Petchaburi Road. 

The Filipino tourists had got in the green and yellow taxi at Chatuchak on Sunday and requested to be taken back to their hotel.

They thought something was up when they were on the motorway headed for Chonburi so they contacted a Thai friend with their GPS location. 

The friend contacted the JS100 radio station and the regular and tourist police as he was concerned that all the Filipinos were wearing gold and the driver may have been thinking about robbing them. 

When they finally reached their hotel at 10pm the driver demanded 3,000 baht. (If on the meter from Chatuchak it would have cost 200 baht or less). 

js12.jpg

Driver Rangsan undergoes a three hour training video. Image: JS100

The tourists refused to pay and when the police arrived the driver fled the scene.

Now the Department of Land Transport has caught up with the driver who was named as Rangsan. 

He was fined 1,000 baht for each of two offences - making a contracted journey without the meter and taking a circuitous route. 

He was also required to undergo 3 hours of training.

He was pictured watching a video while an official kept watch on him. 

Source: JS100

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-25

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

still... he sorta comes out even?

has to return the illgotten 2000 baht,

and ill-filo-wasted 3 hours behind the wheel...

maybe blames brake faliure, for driving them partway back to filoland

25 minutes ago, tifino said:

35 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The tourists refused to pay and when the police arrived the driver fled the scene. 

He didn't get anything and surely wasted a lot of time.

I am not paranoid but I always have my gps open when I use a taxi, because :

- Some of them have no clue where they're going

- I like to estimate my travel time

Also taxis are thirds on my no-trust list after gov and the BIB.

4 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

He was fined 1,000 baht for each of two offences - making a contracted journey without the meter and taking a circuitous route. 

He was also required to undergo 3 hours of training.

He was pictured watching a video while an official kept watch on him.

Yep, and then off you go to drive the next one to Phuket. Good boy!

4 hours ago, tifino said:

still... he sorta comes out even?

and ill-filo-wasted 3 hours behind the wheel...

maybe blames brake faliure, for driving them partway back to filoland

Return what 2000?

Is is possible that because the two destinations mentioned -- Chonburi and Petchburi -- have a "buri" as part of the name, that this may have been a case of PH accent related confusion?

Or, the taxi driver was just a flat out crook, and it's merely a coincidence that the two mentioned destinations sound a bit similar?

15 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

He was fined 1,000 baht for each of two offences

A completely inadequate fine, as usual.

The fine should be 100 times the prejudice incurred, not half the prejudice incurred.

And he should be required to remove any objects in the taxi that are related to the Great Teacher or other revered personages. The driver is the lowest of the low...A thief by deception.

28 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

OK the taxi driver was bang out order but what about the passengers not knowing where they were going...?

Why does a passenger need to know where they are going? Thats the cabbies job, to know where to go.

16 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Is it absolutely ridiculous, 2,000 Baht for a lack of respect for its customers?
It can only be a bad joke, how do you hope these criminals stop doing what they want?

How about for taxi drivers like that. For the next number of months number according to how many 100 or 1000 of baht try to scam they have to work for free. They can not accept any money and they get a wrap put on their car that says this cab is free. 

Petchburi came out sounding like Cholburi?  What’s the cabbie’s explanation?

I once hailed a taxi to the Sheraton Heathrow only to be taken to another Sheraton near Heathrow and ended up paying a bit more but that was an innocent mistake.  

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Is is possible that because the two destinations mentioned -- Chonburi and Petchburi -- have a "buri" as part of the name, that this may have been a case of PH accent related confusion?

Or, the taxi driver was just a flat out crook, and it's merely a coincidence that the two mentioned destinations sound a bit similar?

Why not take them to Saraburi then?

Archived