Bangkok cabbie fined 2,000 baht for taking Filipino tourists to Chonburi instead of Petchaburi Road!

Jonathan Fairfield

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Is is possible that because the two destinations mentioned -- Chonburi and Petchburi -- have a "buri" as part of the name, that this may have been a case of PH accent related confusion?

Or, the taxi driver was just a flat out crook, and it's merely a coincidence that the two mentioned destinations sound a bit similar?

Talking of all the 'buris', why is Buriram called Buriram and not Ramburi? Strange, that.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

OK the taxi driver was bang out order but what about the passengers not knowing where they were going...?

I think you missed this bit in the report:

They thought something was up when they were on the motorway headed for Chonburi so they contacted a Thai friend with their GPS location. 

OK the taxi driver was bang out order but what about the passengers not knowing where they were going...?

I'd hazard a guess that many tourists don't know where they're going.

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I think you missed this bit in the report:

They thought something was up when they were on the motorway headed for Chonburi so they contacted a Thai friend with their GPS location. 

nor does the driver fleeing prior to police arrival fit an innocent mistake. 

welcome to tvf reading comprehension 101

Funny how people say the fine is too low, while taxi drivers dont actually make that much money. For them it's a big loss. On the other hand ofc they shouldn't do this stuff.

To prevent this, just learn a bit Thai, step in the taxi and say some things in Thai, so they know or think you are in Thailand a while already and will be less likely to scam.

Also the 3hr video....anyone ever tried to get a driving license in Thailand? Watching videos of something like that which you know already, for hours, is definitely not something to look forward to!

19 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

He was pictured watching a video while an official kept watch on him. 

While he slept....
Why don't they just ban them for life... a 2,000 baht fine for an attempted 3,000 baht scam
Fines are obviously not working !

Guys, I have no love for Bangkok taxi's, but you really have to look at the picture objectively!

Do you all really think the guy was a crook, taking passengers to a different city than where they intended to go, and expecting payment?

Not even a Thai cab driver is that stupid!

It HAD to be an honest mistake, and when he brought them back to their hotel (presumably when the communication problem was cleared up in the cab) he wanted money for his extremely long and costly drive, that's normal, I'm sure he wasn't expecting all of it, but he had to try, well, because!

His mistake was fleeing when the BIB came, instead of telling the truth, which would have resulted in him perhaps getting a bit more than the actual THB 200 fare due to a misunderstanding.

Now, he is out a lot of money because well, you just don't run from the BIB and expect to get away with it!

I would blame it on those small smartphones internal and SD memory cards which can't have the capacity to install Google translate.

Tell me about the language barrier and Thai voules, Chon buri sounds like Petchaburi or lum and lom never ending battle. Bless Antichrist which made life much easier.. Google translate.????

How would you react to the same thing but on motorbike?

I had the same experience but with a motorbike.

I was used to take a 2 minutes drive for X THB

But one day the motorbike guy drove me around town for 10 minutes.

Then he asked me 10 times the X normal price justifying by the fact that he got lost and drove around a lot...

What should I have handled the situation?

19 hours ago, tifino said:

still... he sorta comes out even?

has to return the illgotten 2000 baht,

and ill-filo-wasted 3 hours behind the wheel...

maybe blames brake faliure, for driving them partway back to filoland

What is "ill-filo-wasted" ? Where is filoland?     Just curious, of course.

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

how about a 10,000 baht fine and no more driving a cab, ever.

I am in a good mood today, otherwise I would say execute him. :clap2:

plus 3hrs of watching replays of the famous Friday night speeches.

The tourists refused to pay and when the police arrived the driver fled the scene.

I don't understand this .

It is stated that when the police arrived the driver fled the scene.

So the police were there when the cabbie fled the scene, how could they have allowed him to flee the scene?

How is this possible, what level of incompetence would you have to be at to allow a criminal to just drive away?

At bus station , eastern terminal, i wantedto go to Lopburi, but a worker, tryingto help, thought i said Ratchaburi. That where i ended up, Ratchaburi. When i asked about a hotel that in Lopburi, then it was discovered that i was in the wrong place. I don't understand why there is so much negativity about Thai people. It was night time and no more buses back to Bangkok at that time.  A lady from a newly opened coffee shop, across from the bus station, which is hotel also. So the lady helping me explained to the hotel receptionists that I needed a room for the night. The receptionists seemed to have an attitude, probably because I am black. I accepted the room, but the lady helping me said she did like the way the receptionist talked, and she could find another hotel if I wanted to. The lady helping me made sure the hotel would wake me in time to have breakfast at the coffee shop before boarding the bus the next morning.  I had breakfast at the coffee that is owned by the pesron who helped me. Thw owner did not want me to pay for breakfast and took a photo of me to post on the wall of her coffee shop. Hard for you racists to believe the owner would post a photo of a black man on the wall of her business.  Bottom line,  i took the bus back to the Bangkok and caught the right bus to Lopburi,  not Ratchaburi.  Sorry for being long winded.

8 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

The tourists refused to pay and when the police arrived the driver fled the scene.

I don't understand this .

It is stated that when the police arrived the driver fled the scene.

So the police were there when the cabbie fled the scene, how could they have allowed him to flee the scene?

How is this possible, what level of incompetence would you have to be at to allow a criminal to just drive away?

Fled the scene is probably a rough translation from Thai. It could mean anything from 

driving away at 100 mph to walking away slowly.

12 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Did they even try to talk to the driver when they realized they were off course?

Maybe he ignored them??

Tourists, sometimes hard to know where you are going in unfamiliar places

36 minutes ago, tifino said:

Ummm the ill-wasted time lost by the filo tourists ???? 

OK, thanks, it's just that I've never heard Filipinos referred to as filos, only derogatorily as "Flips".  To me filo is a pastry dough. 

28 minutes ago, Ej2562 said:

Hard for you racists to believe the owner would post a photo of a black man on the wall of her business. 

I'm not a racist and do not find it hard that she would like to have a picture of a black customer on her wall. After all I bet she serves black coffee too. Glad you made it to Lopburi after all.

5 hours ago, Benmart said:

And he should be required to remove any objects in the taxi that are related to the Great Teacher or other revered personages. The driver is the lowest of the low...A thief by deception.

It could have been a misunderstanding.

3 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Whose military, I am curious.?

British Army.

We used it within our battalion but I don't know whether it is used by all regiments/arms of the British Army.

I don't even know whether it was an official acronym, we used it more for slang, as in 'looks like we are FILO, bloody rubber dicked again'.

Just now, Bert got kinky said:

British Army.

We used it within our battalion but I don't know whether it is used by all regiments/arms of the British Army.

I don't even know whether it was an official acronym, we used it more for slang, as in 'looks like we are FILO, bloody rubber dicked again'.

We may have even picked it up from the US military, as we use to drink in their mess (NCO Club) when we were stationed in Berlin.

8 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

We may have even picked it up from the US military, as we use to drink in their mess (NCO Club) when we were stationed in Berlin.

I bet you called the French squad LIFOs (Last In First Out.?

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Is is possible that because the two destinations mentioned -- Chonburi and Petchburi -- have a "buri" as part of the name, that this may have been a case of PH accent related confusion?

Or, the taxi driver was just a flat out crook, and it's merely a coincidence that the two mentioned destinations sound a bit similar?

So is Canterbury...now that would be a helluva fair

Archived