Wine at 7-11.

ExpatNP

39 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Do you have a Makro near you? if so go there and look for "Hulu" not bad at all for 350 Baht

I do, but I'm temporarily disabled, so I'm stuck with 7-11.  I saw a Youtube video that suggests that they have bottled Peter Vella, which is reasonably drinkable.  

Anyone else seen it there?

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

No boxed wine that I know of, but have Jacobs Creek which is drinkable, if grossly overpriced.

Hey....Jacobs creek are undervalued here  in AU...not a bad drop...but thats bottled wine ..

3 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

Hey....Jacobs creek are undervalued here  in AU...not a bad drop...but thats bottled wine ..

Except you are paying at least 3 times the Aussie price. AFAIK 7/11's don't sell cask wines.

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Except you are paying at least 3 times the Aussie price. AFAIK 7/11's don't sell cask wines.

oh well such is life...buy the bottles instead if you look around its not so expensse there...

On 6/25/2019 at 4:40 PM, ExpatNP said:

I do, but I'm temporarily disabled, so I'm stuck with 7-11.  I saw a Youtube video that suggests that they have bottled Peter Vella, which is reasonably drinkable.  

Anyone else seen it there?

Yes, Peter Vella in a 750 ml bottle (A label from Gallo Winery of Modesto, CA), is available from time to time in various 7s, at least in Chonburi Province.

It is readily available at Central Supermarkets, and at some Big C Extra outlets when you can get around. It comes in boxes as well, and is quite drinkable. A good nose, delicate on the palate and a versatile accompanyment to many dishes.

Best wishes on your recovery.

(From a former 6 year employee and recipient of their generous profit sharing program that allowed me to retire in Thailand. lol).

1 hour ago, Benmart said:

Yes, Peter Vella in a 750 ml bottle (A label from Gallo Winery of Modesto, CA), is available from time to time in various 7s, at least in Chonburi Province.

It is readily available at Central Supermarkets, and at some Big C Extra outlets when you can get around. It comes in boxes as well, and is quite drinkable. A good nose, delicate on the palate and a versatile accompanyment to many dishes.

Best wishes on your recovery.

(From a former 6 year employee and recipient of their generous profit sharing program that allowed me to retire in Thailand. lol).

Do you mean Tops?

the last time I was in Tops up here they had stopped selling Peter Vella and weren’t getting any more - so said the lady in charge of that aisle. 

I buy "Laughing Bird" a 1.5 litre bottle, Australian wine, at Tesco Lotus Express, not the best wine in the world, however drinkable, at about 575 baht, and that is a 2 bottle size, works out under 300 baht for 750 mil. bottle, go for it

5 minutes ago, rob48 said:

I buy "Laughing Bird" a 1.5 litre bottle, Australian wine, at Tesco Lotus Express, not the best wine in the world, however drinkable, at about 575 baht, and that is a 2 bottle size, works out under 300 baht for 750 mil. bottle, go for it

bet your laughing after a bottle or two???!!!

Depends on what your used to? If drinking very cheap local, young wines in US or European countryside is normal for you then maybe you'll find them ok. But I ask myself about the equation: Stockist =  7-11, Thailand, country low in understanding and appreciation of good wines, cheap prices = crap.  

I mean come on people in LOS drink reds chilled in the fridge for God's sake!

14 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Reminds me of that old saying, “It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt”.

https://vinepair.com/wine-101/right-temperature-serve-every-type-wine/

The most common misconception with red wine is that it is ideal to serve it at room temperature, when in fact serving it cool is the best way to enjoy it. To cool red down to its proper temperature, we like to place it in the fridge an hour before serving it.

Teaching moment over.

25 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Depends on what your used to?  
...... .....  

if room temperature is 30+, there is nothing wrong with a rouge petit frappé.

46 minutes ago, rob48 said:

Laughing bird is back after a few months holiday and a 146 baht increase regards Mr sober????

On 6/25/2019 at 4:23 PM, ChipButty said:

Do you have a Makro near you? if so go there and look for "Hulu" not bad at all for 350 Baht

Hulu is 299 thb everywhere in Thailand...

at 350 you get a lot better !

17 hours ago, Nemises said:

Australian wine at 7-11? Yes!!...and only SIXTY (60) baht!!!

But from an Australian 7/11 sorry ???? 

1DBCFFE4-0F1C-472F-8F92-FFD89B8EF59C.jpeg

Didn't know you could buy wine in an Australian 7 Eleven.... and not wishing to spoil a good story, but Precious Earth is an Aldi label which is where the photo looks to have been taken... ????

Aldi.jpg

Archived