BANGKOK 19 July 2019 02:09
Jonathan Fairfield

High-speed rail project linking three Thai airports to be signed next month

Airport-rail link project; Map Ta Phut port project to be signed next month

by Tewit Kemtong

high-speed-trains.jpg.7dfcfaeecac42801350992399f29dc56.jpg

File photo

BANGKOK, 25 June 2019(NNT) - The Eastern Economic Corridor Policy Committee has acknowledged progress in the high-speed rail project to link three airports and the Map Ta Phut industrial port development project. Contracts for both projects are expected to be signed between state firms and private concessionaires next month.

The Eastern Economic Corridor Policy Committee, chaired by Prime Minister Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha, acknowledged approval by the National Environment Board, chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Gen. Prawit Wongsuwan, for an Environmental Impact Assessment study on the high-speed rail project to link three major airports.

The State Railway of Thailand and the private concessionaire are expected to sign the construction contract next month. This is the first public-private joint venture of the Eastern Economic Corridor project.

The Eastern Economic Corridor Policy Committee also acknowledged progress in Map Ta Phut industrial port’s Phase 3 development project, the contract for which has been scrutinized by the Office of the Attorney General. It is to be resubmitted to the Eastern Economic Corridor Policy Committee by July 1 before being forwarded to the cabinet. The Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand and the private concessionaire are expected to sign the contract next month.

Source: http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG190625161120000

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-06-25
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

by July 1 before being forwarded to the cabinet

is there a cabinet?

• Like 2

Wouldn’t it be simpler just to expand Seampy and have one decent airport with sufficient capacity?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The big difference is signing is easy, implementation well that's a big problem.

33 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Who the hell transfers between airports?? Sure in unusual circumstance some people would, or when they screwed up a booking. But generally speaking people dont need to transfer directly between the two on the same day.

Every time I fly out of Thailand, or even simply going to Phuket, I have to transfer between Don Muang and Swampy. A large number of people using internal flights have to do the same.

I am sure this link, if ever completed, will be of great benefit.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Who the hell transfers between airports?? Sure in unusual circumstance some people would, or when they screwed up a booking. But generally speaking people dont need to transfer directly between the two on the same day.

Flying to BKK from Roi et. The only option is to fly into DMK. From there you must take alternate transportation to Suvarnabhumi. IE, taxi, bus. Takes about 45 minutes to an hour.  A high speed rail would be great.   

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Every time I fly out of Thailand, or even simply going to Phuket, I have to transfer between Don Muang and Swampy. A large number of people using internal flights have to do the same.

I am sure this link, if ever completed, will be of great benefit.

To be fair i had not considered that, but really i cannot believe the numbers are that high to justify the project.

No peak hour traffic to deal with when catching internal flight is a boon, being able to get to and from either airports will be a pleasure non stressful trip,

one service I will look forward to using.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

Much more than you think;
it is enough to read the questions on some other forums than  thaivisa to realize that many Western travelers who arrive at Souvanaphum (i) have a domestic flight and sometimes even an international flight in continuation but departing from Don Muang;
for the moment it is 1 hour to 2 hours taxi to reach the two airports;
with this train, if one day it exists , it will be maximum 30 minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

quite true...if i go anywhere it is either swampy or D M, so I would go to my designated airport...and fly out....a total waste of money this proposed project is....money better spent on health care !!