money out of Thailand

I have an account with Siam Commercial Bank , I had 20.000 pounds sent here ten years ago .I was told by many expats i should

have received a receipt as (i did not get one ) if i try to transfer money back to the Uk i will not be able to do so (with out the receipt proof)

I visited my bank and told them sorry i not have a receipt will i be able to send money back to the Uk ? Yes that will be ok ??? what with

out the receipt for the money transfer ? Ok sir when did you deposit the money ? ten years ago .Sir that account has been closed for many years but wait please , I then spoke to Head office (Bangkok) he asked me security questions to confirm i am the owner of the old account .

One hour later sir you deposited 948.000 bahts july 2009 , we do not issue receipts back more than three years but not a problem you can send money back to the Uk . So as long as you have your old account number it seems not a problem, so if you like me never realised you needed a receipt do not worry it can be done , As long as you visit the branch you opened the account with you will be ok .

I hope that information will come in useful to other expats that face a similar situation .

Sorry I don't have any idea what you are on about, your bank is talking nonsense, I have received money from Uk into my Thai bank a/c and the only record is in the bank book or a statement I have never had a receipt sent or ever had one unless I send money out of Thailand.

Actually there was a thread about needing a “credit advice/receipt” once for proof that funds for immigration came from outside the country. It could also be helpful to export funds I assume as proof of the origin. IMG_0708.jpgI think you have to ask for it.
I saved the picture someone provided.

Yes you are correct they phoned me from Bangkok and asked why i wanted a large amount , i replied for my retirement visa

they said ok that is ok , i did not ask for a receipt as i did not know at the time .

If they are not bothered why did i have to talk to the head office in Bangkok and answer security questions so they could trace

the money ? they did find it paid in 2009 . I can send money out now not a problem but they do want to know where it came from in the first place ,I could be working ilegally laundering money selling drugs they just want proof .

Kwaski  , i realise now where you are coming from , i have money sent every two months via Bangkok Bank London ,

What the bank are on about is if you want to send a large amount money back to your home country , 20,000 they

want proof of where the funds came from , hence always ask for a confirmation letter when having large amounts

sent over to buy a house condo minium or like me retirement visa .I got lucky they traced the money to a long time

closed account .I am not sure what would happen if i could not prove i had the money sent over .That is why they

phone and ask what the large amount of money is for .I hope that puts you in the picture .

Archived