Thai May factory output falls 3.99% y/y, worse than forecast

snoop1130

3 hours ago, RobboR said:

It's common knowledge and the documentation is there to see. 

proper journalism here is unwise.  People at the very very top do not welcome it at all.

If the allegations are untrue there could be a discourse, but passing on knowledge is a crime.

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Interesting. https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2019/06/25/eu-vietnam-council-adopts-decisions-to-sign-trade-and-investment-agreements/

It's been in the works for a long time but was delayed because of the commie issues. Looks like EU bit the bullet and got in bed with them.

Do try and drag yourself out of the 1950's.

6 hours ago, Plus Esse Quam Simultatur said:

The European Union just signed a huge trade deal with Vietnam today, I will let you guess the reason why it wasn't with Thailand

Nobody signs a massive trade deal with Vietnam. They dont have the infrastructure, and most of their manufacturing is either Taiwanese or Chinese owned.

What does Vietnam sell?

Coffee. Rice. Timber. Clothing, Agent Orange. Abandoned munitions.

4 hours ago, djayz said:

Saying that Thais hate foreigners from comments you've stumbled across from a few anonymous sites, is like saying foreigners hate Thais based on comments you'd read here on this site. 

Lets not rule that out.

9 hours ago, RobboR said:

Do you think the 1% care about the great unwashed?

Not at all but the high baht kills exports and tourism and that is where Thailand's rich make a lot of their profit.  So if they were able to manipulate the baht it would be down not up.  

1 hour ago, RobboR said:

No it wouldn't, if they manipulated it down then they would get collared by the Yanks .

The Chinese yuan and baht are pretty much unchanged in several years so it won't affect tourism very much.

You must have missed something.  I said Thailand could not manipulate the baht.  But if they could it would be down and not up. 

Chinese make up 25% of Thai tourism.  https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/tourist-arrivals-in-thailand-by-country.html

Always wiser to have a lower currency. Reserve Banks can influence . Like  Australia. Dropping rates. But debt bubble increases. No easy answer. Buy Crypto ( Bitcoin). Stay minimalistic. Bubble will burst...

I see TOT now trying to woo tourists from Africa and Arab nations. Thais love em! Might sell a bit more skin whitening crap.

15 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

The fact it is a large drop from that previously forecast seems to add further evidence that the Junta staffed with inept Generals are totally out of touch with economic reality and are incompetent in all areas other than graft, the only business stream in which they apparently excel.

I think this double header sums it up.. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-politics-thai-airways/thai-airways-reform-to-test-business-credentials-of-military-government-idUSKBN0FP0T120140720

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Thai-Airways-posts-loss-in-high-season-signaling-bad-year-ahead

15 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

It's not the baht going up it's the dollar and pound going down.

Not quite. The GBP is a basket case agreed and continues its downtrend. The USD has been extremely strong until about the last few weeks after the Fed indicated rates will fall. Only the Yen was stronger than the Baht in 2018. This year the Baht remains one of the strongest, so far. So Baht has been going up.

11 hours ago, Traubert said:

Do try and drag yourself out of the 1950's.

Commies are commies no matter how the trolls like to sell them as fluffy little unicorns. Speaking of 1950's, that's when shit started to hit the fan. Lost Russia and China to the worst ideology known to mankind.

Seems the cure is in though, it's called greed. Good old capitalism FTW.

Just for your reference: https://www.a2globalrisk.com/analysis/asia-pacific/vietnam-opportunities-and-pitfalls-ahead-of-e-u-free-trade-agreement/

A general lack of transparency in Vietnam’s political and economic systems is also reflected in the legal sector. Under the EVFTA, commercial disputes will be settled through a new permanent investment court, referred to in the treaty as a ‘Tribunal’. The Tribunal will consist of nine members, with the E.U. and Vietnam each appointing three nationals, and the last three drawn from third-party countries. The Tribunal will be set up as an independent organisation designed to bypass the national judicial system, which is controlled by the ruling communist party and lacks both independence and transparency.

Commies be commies.

13 hours ago, RobboR said:

15 years and fluent in all aspects of Thai Language

Mastering a language does not make anyone an expert in other people or cultures. "Common Sense" is actually a better skill to have. I know lots of completely stupid farangs, who speak Thai very well. Knowing the language well, did not seem to make them smarter, happier or stop them from being cheated out of their savings by Thais.

But happy you found Thaivisa after 15 years. 

15 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Not at all but the high baht kills exports and tourism and that is where Thailand's rich make a lot of their profit.  So if they were able to manipulate the baht it would be down not up.  

The real elite are NOT factory or hotel owners, nor do they give a flying crap about them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 6:53 PM, marcusarelus said:

It's not the baht going up it's the dollar and pound going down.

US Dollar, Euro, Australian Dollar, New Zealand Dollar, British Pound, Swedish Kroner, Chinese Yuan and to a lesser extent the Japanese Yen.

These are just some of the currencies which the Baht had gained against recently ????

Are you sure it's not just a simple case of the Baht going up a bit as opposed to the entire industrialised world crashing against the Baht ?

I'd like to see the list of major currencies which are getting more Baht now than they were say 1 year ago.......but I won't hold my breath on that....

7 minutes ago, ukrules said:

US Dollar, Euro, Australian Dollar, New Zealand Dollar, British Pound, Swedish Kroner, Chinese Yuan and to a lesser extent the Japanese Yen.

These are just some of the currencies which the Baht had gained against recently ????

Are you sure it's not just a simple case of the Baht going up a bit as opposed to the entire industrialised world crashing against the Baht ?

I'd like to see the list of major currencies which are getting more Baht now than they were say 1 year ago.......but I won't hold my breath on that....

+1

Of course the Baht has strengthened - everyone knows that..... except the poster to whom you replied.

On 6/26/2019 at 7:53 AM, RobboR said:

No it wouldn't, if they manipulated it down then they would get collared by the Yanks .

The Chinese yuan and baht are pretty much unchanged in several years so it won't affect tourism very much.

You just made that up - here's the 5 year chart - does it look unchanged?

image.png.1acd1dacdda775016b130563cc30cb62.png

It's (CNY) lost 20% since the peak in 2015 over the last years due to the Baht rising.

On 6/25/2019 at 7:47 PM, geoffbezoz said:

Well I should think most of us can remember that flotation, or should I say a deliberate devaluation as it was only 22 years ago.  After that and the IMF support it took the economic acumen of Thaksin and his aides to repay that debt which to this day I believe is the only country to have repaid an IMF support function early. However all that was a result of a deliberate overheated economy of the decade prior. Manipulation did not work then and sure as eggs are eggs with the current crop of crooks, history could well repeat itself in some respects.

Not quite correct as the majority of the debt to the IMF was paid off from 1997 to 2001 by the Democrats under Chuan Leek Pai.

It is correct to say that Thaksin paid off the last few payments but he paid with the Thai Treasury money and NOT with his own money as some rumours had it at the time.

Here are some links to enlighten you.

https://www.imf.org/en/News/Articles/2015/09/14/01/49/pr03131

https://www.voanews.com/archive/thailand-repays-imf-loan-2-years-ahead-schedule-2003-08-01

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worldbiz/archives/2002/08/27/0000165803

https://www.imf.org/external/np/exr/ib/2000/062300.htm

There are more if you want to look for them.

Archived