SETV: Where is the best place to go? I've been recommended Malaysia but the requirements are confusing me.

On July 9th - I'm about to do my first border run.

I'm British, arrived here from San Francisco so I didn't have a chance to get a visa. So I arrived here on a visa exemption for 30 days which I extended to 60 days.

I need to stay until September so I'm about to leave the country and re-enter.

I was going to Singapore but find that Malaysia is a bit cheaper.

But I've found two links:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/en/services/99060-Visa-Requirements-I.html which links to this document

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/en/services/99061-Visa-Requirements-II.html which links to this document

They both link to different requirements. The first document is suggesting I need this:

The applicant’s recent bank statement(last 3 months)certified by the bank.The bank statement must show the account name and number, balance and history of transactions

Seems overkill for a Single Entry Visa? My bank is Chase in the US and I lost my debit card when I got here so I've been withdrawing money from my company card (linked bank account in my corporation's name). Either way getting a certified letter in under two weeks is going to be difficult - it took me 2 months to get the replacement card shipped here (via a friend).

Just wondering if anyone knows the drill here?

8 minutes ago, ThePugAndMe said:

But I've found two links:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/en/services/99060-Visa-Requirements-I.html which links to this document

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/en/services/99061-Visa-Requirements-II.html which links to this document

The 2nd one would be the one for you since the UK is not a listed country.

A listed country is one whose citizens can only apply for a visa in their home country.

See: http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/images/text_editor/files/listed country 2018_2.pdf

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A listed country is one whose citizens can only apply for a visa in their home country.

See: http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/images/text_editor/files/listed country 2018_2.pdf

5. A copy of reservation/confirmation of transportation ticket to and from Thailand >> Can  a train ticket (from penang) be used? since the safer option is to cross the border overland?

6. A copy of reservation/confirmation of accommodation for the whole stay in Thailand (If staying with a friend/relative, please submit his/her invitation letter and a copy of his/her identity card/passport.) >>  what if the rental agreement is in my name? can I use that?

I assumed they would require certified bank statements for SETV, but according to the checklist they need statements only for METV?

3 hours ago, falangUK said:

5. A copy of reservation/confirmation of transportation ticket to and from Thailand >> Can  a train ticket (from penang) be used? since the safer option is to cross the border overland?

That would be accepted for the for trip into the country since they do not say it has to be a flight ticket . You can also get a train from KL ot the border. Same for the ticket out of the country.

6. A copy of reservation/confirmation of accommodation for the whole stay in Thailand (If staying with a friend/relative, please submit his/her invitation letter and a copy of his/her identity card/passport.) >>  what if the rental agreement is in my name? can I use that?

A rental agreement in your name and a signed copy of the owners ID card would be accepted.

I assumed they would require certified bank statements for SETV, but according to the checklist they need statements only for METV?

You assumed wrong since they do not ask for it. Perhaps the assume immigration would ask to see 20k baht when you enter the country.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That would be accepted for the for trip into the country since they do not say it has to be a flight ticket . You can also get a train from KL ot the border. Same for the ticket out of the country.

A rental agreement in your name and a signed copy of the owners ID card would be accepted.

You assumed wrong since they do not ask for it. Perhaps the assume immigration would ask to see 20k baht when you enter the country.

Thank you SO MUCH ubonjoe,
As always I am very grateful! 

On 6/25/2019 at 7:22 PM, BritTim said:

Either Kuala Lumpur or Ho Chi Minh City would be appropriate choices (avoid Singapore). Note that, should your plans change again and you decide to stay past September, you will need to start taking greater care in how you continue remaining in Thailand on tourist entries.

Thanks BritTim, has the criteria from your previous post changed? 

On 6/26/2019 at 7:47 AM, ubonjoe said:

Ubonjoe ! ...I see you say rental agreement and signed copy of owners I'd ....I'm in an appt in Bangkok owned by a company ...the manager here tells me it's not possible to get owners I'd .

Where in the setv requirements does it say this and do you have any advice how I should get this , or get around it

Sorry to jump somebody's post

1 minute ago, philcol said:

Ubonjoe ! ...I see you say rental agreement and signed copy of owners I'd ....I'm in an appt in Bangkok owned by a company ...the manager here tells me it's not possible to get owners I'd .

Since it is a company the rental contract would show the company name so the ID card would not be needed.

• Like 1

You can use train ticket for visa application in Kuala Lumpur Thai Consulate, but I wouldn’t recommend you to use train border in Padang Besar, I did it few weeks ago with single entry tourist visa, first officer refused to give me stamp and sent me to her boss, there was line with 4-5 foreigners and all of them didn’t pass that border, she only gave stamp to me but asked for paid return ticket to home country and 20k bath cash, condo contract, many other questions.

• Like 1

Get someone to email a photo of your bank statement & print it off at an Internet shop,also you will need proof of a hotel or wherever you are staying, you now have to download & print out the application forms, do this as you do your bank statement, if not you can get the forms from a bloke nearby for RM10

• Like 1

Thanks for the help guys, I've booked flights and an AirBNB in Malaysia. I've also got an appointment set up as well.

Just need to get the requirements for the Visa application now.

[ ] A copy of reservation/confirmation of transportation ticket to and from Thailand

Since I don't want to book the flights until later (don't know whether I'll be traveling via the US or not) - is there anyway that I can just get a train ticket or something cheap? If so, where do I book the train ticket (and to which location?)

[ ] A copy of reservation/confirmation of accommodation for the whole stay in Thailand

I'm booking month to month - for example, I'm in a nicer AirBNB right now, but I might try and save costs next month. Do I need something for the entire stay or will one month do?

5 hours ago, ThePugAndMe said:

[ ] A copy of reservation/confirmation of transportation ticket to and from Thailand

Since I don't want to book the flights until later (don't know whether I'll be traveling via the US or not) - is there anyway that I can just get a train ticket or something cheap? If so, where do I book the train ticket (and to which location?)

They will accept a train ticket or bus ticket out of Thailand. Check here: https://12go.asia/en/about?gclid=Cj0KCQjwu-HoBRD5ARIsAPIPenfch8spfc9S-8wZNfGc5ERQLuGV9bpe0In0uvJh8OG_oOABVlb_RlAaAomYEALw_wcB

Check for a low cost for a one way flight to any nearby country from any airport here. 

5 hours ago, ThePugAndMe said:

[ ] A copy of reservation/confirmation of accommodation for the whole stay in Thailand

I'm booking month to month - for example, I'm in a nicer AirBNB right now, but I might try and save costs next month. Do I need something for the entire stay or will one month do?

Not sure if they will accept one month. You should be able book a refundable place to stay for the 2nd month.

On 6/27/2019 at 11:16 PM, JohnLast said:

You can use train ticket for visa application in Kuala Lumpur Thai Consulate, but I wouldn’t recommend you to use train border in Padang Besar, I did it few weeks ago with single entry tourist visa, first officer refused to give me stamp and sent me to her boss, there was line with 4-5 foreigners and all of them didn’t pass that border, she only gave stamp to me but asked for paid return ticket to home country and 20k bath cash, condo contract, many other questions.

Cheers John, 

Is there another border other than Padang Besar? 

I guess flying to BKK/DMK is still a no go?

Also why a paid return ticket to home country? not just out of Thailand?

43 minutes ago, falangUK said:

Is there another border other than Padang Besar? 

You can take the bus from Kuala Lumpur to Hat Yai (with onward travel by domestic flight, train or bus from there). I believe the buses still use the border at Sadao. In the past, there have been a few issues sometimes at that border, but it seems a much better choice than Padang Besar at the current time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/25/2019 at 6:43 PM, ubonjoe said:

Just so I am clear, if your country is "non-listed" (for me USA), then the requirements do not include a "certified" bank statement?

This is from the KL consulate website:

Nationals of a non-listed country

- Completed check list (downloadable from the link below)

- 1 x completed application form (downloadable from the link below)

- 1 x passport-size photograph (white or blue background and taken within in the past 6 months)

- 1 x copy of passport information page

- original passport, valid for not less than 6 months

- Copy of confirmed/reservation return ticket (in and out of Thailand). In case of using personal vehicle (copy of registration of vehicle and copy of identity card/passport of the owner) must be provided.

- Copy of hotel booking for the whole length of your stay in Thailand. In case of stay at house (copy of house agreement, invitation letter and copy of identity card/passport of the owner) must be provided.

Does this sound like it is correct and up to date? 

I see no requirement for certified copies bank statements.  Is that correct??  I can easily copy my bank statements from USA, but getting a "certified" copy from the bank would probably be difficult.

Any clarification would be most appreciated.

14 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Just so I am clear, if your country is "non-listed" (for me USA), then the requirements do not include a "certified" bank statement?

Not sure where you found that on the embassy website.

This page is for countries that are not listed. It has the links for the checklists and the appointment site.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/en/services/99061-Visa-Requirements-II.html

What you listed looks the same as what is shown on the checklist for tourist visas.

What is on the checklist is what they require now.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure where you found that on the embassy website.

This page is for countries that are not listed. It has the links for the checklists and the appointment site.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/en/services/99061-Visa-Requirements-II.html

What you listed looks the same as what is shown on the checklist for tourist visas.

What is on the checklist is what they require now.

So, then I can assume that no bank statements are required?

This is the page you linked me to (for a SETV)...correct?  And this is for a USA citizen?  The wording for the METV makes it sound like this is for a Malaysian citizen.

One final question, if you don't mind.  I see a lot of chatter about avoiding flying back into Thailand; particularly to Bangkok as you can get hassled by airport IO.  Is that a concern?  Is it just Bangkok, or would be also be a concern in Chinag Mai?

203355375_snapshot_2019-08-10at3_03_34PM.jpg.6fa6c0a946f1c56ee764907ee87ba5ba.jpg

Edited by WaveHunter

13 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

This is the page you linked me to (for a SETV)...correct?  And this is for a USA citizen?  The wording for the METV makes it sound like this is for a Malaysian citizen.

Yes is it for US citizens and any those from any unlisted country.

Only Malaysians and legal residents of Malaysia can apply for a METV is why it is like that.

14 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

One final question, if you don't mind.  I see a lot of chatter about avoiding flying back into Thailand; particularly to Bangkok as you can get hassled by airport IO.  Is that a concern?  Is it just Bangkok, or would be also be a concern in Chinag Mai?

The risk of being questioned in Bangkok depends upon your history of tourist and visa exempt entries.

Less chance of having problems in Chiang Mai than Bangkok.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes is it for US citizens and any those from any unlisted country.

Only Malaysians and legal residents of Malaysia can apply for a METV is why it is like that.

The risk of being questioned in Bangkok depends upon your history of tourist and visa exempt entries.

Less chance of having problems in Chiang Mai than Bangkok.

I had a METV issued at Thai Embassy in USA when I first arrive in the Kingdom, then got a Non-O with retirement extension (which will expire next month).  Now want SETV which I am hoping to extend to 90 days, and then repeat SETV's two or three times through Vientiane and Savannakhet land crossings.  Basically I want to stay here in Thailand until sometime next Spring or Summer.  In your opinion, does this sound like a good plan?

Edited by WaveHunter

11 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Basically I want to stay here in Thailand until sometime next Spring or Summer.  In your opinion, does this sound like a good plan?

Yes 

With your history you should not have a problem entering the country.

• Thanks 1

I'm afraid it's impossible to answer to your question, things are changing rapidly in all the consulate/embassy in the nearby countries, even places like Vientiane and Savannaket are rejecting SETV at first application there, and documents not listed on websites are being asked, especially for setv and ed visa.

I consider it a lottery atm.

Good like anyway.

1 hour ago, yuiop said:

I'm afraid it's impossible to answer to your question, things are changing rapidly in all the consulate/embassy in the nearby countries, even places like Vientiane and Savannaket are rejecting SETV at first application there, and documents not listed on websites are being asked, especially for setv and ed visa.

I consider it a lottery atm.

Good like anyway.

UbonJoe answered my question pretty succinctly.  I agree that Thai Imm is a crap shoot; always has been and always will be until long-term tourists finally decide it's not worth the effort.  I'm getting very close to that point. 

Still, you have to have some sort of intelligent plan of action, and a backup plan.  I now have both.

I love being here in Thailand but all the nonsense and hoops that longer-term tourists are put through just get more and more absurd.  Down here in ChonBuri it's still tolerable (barely) but up in Chiang Mai it had gotten completely insane in the last year.

If anything goes wrong with my upcoming SETV, I think I'll be heading for somewhere that has a little more respect for foreign visitors like Bali or Vietnam.

4 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

UbonJoe answered my question pretty succinctly.  I agree that Thai Imm is a crap shoot; always has been and always will be until long-term tourists finally decide it's not worth the effort.  I'm getting very close to that point. 

Still, you have to have some sort of intelligent plan of action, and a backup plan.  I now have both.

I love being here in Thailand but all the nonsense and hoops that longer-term tourists are put through just get more and more absurd.  Down here in ChonBuri it's still tolerable (barely) but up in Chiang Mai it had gotten completely insane in the last year.

If anything goes wrong with my upcoming SETV, I think I'll be heading for somewhere that has a little more respect for foreign visitors like Bali or Vietnam.

Yes, no doubt UJ is the master here.

Anyway, it's just my opinion, I would not be so sure you will get 3 or 4 consecutive SETV in vientiane and savannaket. Many reports of people getting denied atm, and it's probably only getting worse. Why dont you get another METV in your country before coming here?

Wish you the best anyway

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yuiop said:

Yes, no doubt UJ is the master here.

Anyway, it's just my opinion, I would not be so sure you will get 3 or 4 consecutive SETV in vientiane and savannaket. Many reports of people getting denied atm, and it's probably only getting worse. Why dont you get another METV in your country before coming here?

Wish you the best anyway

I am already living here.  Thought of going back for METV (had one when I first came) but METV's have some downsides.  Will hope for best, and if it doesn't work out, well, I always wanted to see Bali ????