In laws are retiring soon. Guess how much their monthly pension is?

ghworker2010

42 minutes ago, ghworker2010 said:

It seems that any thai who was lucky enough to land in a long term government job has a comfortable life in retirement. 

Knew a head teacher he was getting 60,000 bht per month but only lasted 3 years, his wife in a small village school get 35,000 per month but before hubby die they bought a wholesale business shop.

When thai works and pays social security, upon retirement they get either lump sum back or in monthly payments. Only those who hardly ever held a job or worked without paying SS , get 500 per month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, ghworker2010 said:

I speculate that the govt could sack 1/4 of all govt workers across all sectors and still function properly. Its a classic walking into an amphor office, for example, and seeing so many people sitting around with empty desks.

I agree with the above but, as far as I know, manning levels are based upon the size of the Amphur. The police manning levels are worked out in the same way. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

That is the majority of rural Thais. Working in a rice field doesn't qualify. I wouldn't say they've hardly ever held a job, it's back-breaking work.

Rice fields is one month work, indeed back breaking, only no one forced them to work in rice fields, they could go get a job elsewhere.

whats next self employed who never pay a cent in personal taxes or social security should be entitled to tax money? Its not the nanny West and thanks for that, but even in the nanny West low income pay taxes unlike Thailand

• Like 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 6

6 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Youre right but most Ive known have borrowed money against their payouts and pensions which was spent long ago. I think they actually get govt loans against their superannuation payouts

Which in fact encourages them to go into debt in the years before retirement day. Ultimately not a good idea.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Rice is cropped twice a year in my GF's village. The rest of the time, villagers look for work on building sites. Every time they buy a good or service, it is taxed somewhere in the chain.

If you are telling me they don't deserve a pension, and government workers who exist to be obstructive do, you're not making much sense to me.

When did I say government workers deserve more than anyone else?

people who work and pay taxes actual income taxes get pensions . People who pay taxes somewhere , somehow because they buy something  but not a single baht of personal tax or contribution to social security do not .

and yeah look for job on construction site they do not. Swing in hammocks is what they do, not all but a very large number. 

14 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

He is a director of a big village school. She is a teacher at a different village school. They are about to retire. 

He will get 40,000 baht a month and she will get 30,000 a month. Both have access to the govt hospital system. 

Interesting OP.  I'd always wondered what the typical pension in Thailand was, although I'm sure it varies a bit.  A Thai government job is about the only way a Thai can receive a pension.  The salaries for gov workers are not high, so the pension is the main incentive.  I believe the access to gov hospitals also extend to relatives....at least parents (+wife and kids obviously).   

My friend worked for a company become manager in a a dept.retired and got a lump sum.she Invested into making clothes and doing ok now I believe.not a government job so I don,t know if she receive a pension when she reaches that age.just a different system to west as far as I know

Sent from my SM-T580 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

All governments have money trees in their backyard. The only issue is who they give the money to.

Thai society has long been structured with the "Elites" at the top, then the "civil services", the rest have always been serfs or peasants - nothing has changed, in fact it has gone backwards, "governments" (Elite's & influential families) take care of the "civil services" as they are the "buffer" between them and the "serf's" that's how I see it!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CGW said:

I don't believe they see this as a problem, it is not an "education" system - more of an indoctrination system where they are indoctrinated to be serfs! The last thing they want is an educated population questioning what is happening, the few who are capable of asking questions are usually educated outside of Thailand.

Agreed-  but in the end it is not sustainable- the internet exists as well as social media and the World is becoming more and more dependent on technology.   Someone has to actually do the job and someone also has to grow food to sustain the masses. 

Wealth cannot logically be kept by a small number of people- it has to trickle down through the classes and people need to have some hope that they also will have access to some wealth if they work hard.

Thailand cannot continue the current status quo for much longer or it's economy will lag behind other Asian countries

• Like 2