In laws are retiring soon. Guess how much their monthly pension is?

ghworker2010

12 hours ago, BestB said:

Can not be bothered reading through all the hogwash justifying laziness.

Have i tried? why should i try? Did anyone force them? They could always get off their butt, go to city, get a job and work for 40 years with 1 day off per week, instead of whining and complaining and getting silly farangs to support them, but then i guess you would feel less important.

And yes, rice can be harvested only once per year due to drought, sometimes twice,possibly 3, so big wopti doo, 2-3 months a year of work and the rest 9-10 months of drinking and swinging in the hammock.

The never ending sob stories from silly farangs living in the jungles of Isaan justifying the laziness is what makes me angry.

Answer the question? If you are an uneducated rice farmer in an Issan village, you “get off your butt” and get a job ... what job would that be? 

16 hours ago, BestB said:

Once again for the slow ones, Thai who actually work, pay 5% to social security and company pays another 5%

For minimum wage earner its 10800 per year,ie 432000 at the retirement plus interest.

For the  educated, its 18000 per year, 720 000 at the retirement plus interest.

Not sure where you get your figures from, but they are not correct.

Social Security payments for the employee cap at 750 THB per month, no matter how high their salary is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Thais who don't go to school, start working as a kid work for peanuts. Thai's who make the effort to get a good education earn good money. 

Make the effort to get a good education? Implies that all Thais of low education have themselves to blame for not “making the effort”?

Where you where born and who you’re parents were has a huge influence on where you’ll end up in life. If Warren Buffett and Bill Gates had been born into poor Issan rural rice farming stock, instead of the families they were born into and the country they were born in, they would be feeding water buffalo right now.

• Like 1

A post in which the quoted content had been altered has been removed:

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.

Some troll posts and the replies were removed.

9 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Not sure where you get your figures from, but they are not correct.

Social Security payments for the employee cap at 750 THB per month, no matter how high their salary is.

750 being 5% of 15000. 

5% paid by employee and 5% paid by employer, total monthly contribution 1500 baht .

15 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Answer the question? If you are an uneducated rice farmer in an Issan village, you “get off your butt” and get a job ... what job would that be? 

Minimum wage paid job, after working for a while you can either get promoted. Or yearly wage rise or change to better paying job having some skill and experience or put yourself through weekend school

maids can earn 15000-20000 per month almost double the minimum wage, food provided by the company.

many also offer free rooms for staff

Just now, BestB said:

750 being 5% of 15000. 

5% paid by employee and 5% paid by employer, total monthly contribution 1500 baht .

As stated it caps at 750 THB regardless, so even if earning 400k you still pay 750 THB, the 5% is only on the first 15,000 THB earned, the government also contribute 2.75% to the fund.

To answer the other poster as well, if a person has contributed for 180 months or more, then the lump sum option is not available at retirement, if more than 12 months and less than 180 months, then you would get yours and your employers contribution plus interest.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mattd said:

As stated it caps at 750 THB regardless, so even if earning 400k you still pay 750 THB, the 5% is only on the first 15,000 THB earned, the government also contribute 2.75% to the fund.

To answer the other poster as well, if a person has contributed for 180 months or more, then the lump sum option is not available at retirement, if more than 12 months and less than 180 months, then you would get yours and your employers contribution plus interest.

Cap is on salary not on contributions . 

15000 monthly salary , again 5% paid by the employee and 5% paid by the employer making contribution 1500 per month . Employee or employer can opt to pay more if either one wishes, just as if employee leaves employment, they can continue to pay their 5% and receive all the same benefits 

2 hours ago, BestB said:

They should try working the full year , then they will be making 120000 a year instead of 50000.

plus yearly bonuses and if they worked little longer they would be making 150000-180000

one of my maids is putting her son through uni. How? By working overtime and taking on every available extra job. Single mother. 

Son also works part time to help pay . 

Another one , single mother of 4. One daughter started working in dental clinic, went to weekend college and 6 years later earning 30000 plus over time 

second daughter following in her footsteps .

YOU really have NO idea of rural life, do you? My son in law never stops, apart from three days after the rice harvest, no holidays, cows to be looked after, grass to be cut... never mind, when I tell my wife about remarks like yours she also gets furious. He CAN'T get a job at his age you buffoon, not in the provinces, even though he is an excellent builder and worker. Of course there are idle so and sos around the village, but not the farmers.

Leave it alone, your ignorance is annoying.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Rice fields is one month work, indeed back breaking, only no one forced them to work in rice fields, they could go get a job elsewhere.

Did you forget your meds this morning? It's not just one month work, my parents in law are rice farmers and it's quite a lot of work.

Would you please let me know where they could find employment elsewhere, I'm talking about rice farmers in the xxx generation. They just leave their houses and seek employment, but where? 

They always work, mom in law makes feeds silkworms, then colors the strings and spins some nice stuff. I've got some fantastic shirts made of her silk, a job i couldn't do for 5 minutes. 

Dad in law's always doing something on the rice-fields and he's there every day, leaves in the morning at 5 and comes back exhausted at 6 pm. 

Your post just shows that you've got no idea what they're actually doing.

I've done that with them for a whole year when I settled in the village and when we came back home around 6 pm, there's only a shower with a bucket, no matter how cold it was, very little food, then the TV and very early to bed.

Next day the same, without any machines, only a buffalo and some primitive tools to spread the rice from the straws. 

Have you ever tried to cut rice by hand? Please try it once and then write about farmers again, please. 

Your post is so negative that it makes me really angry. 

Where else would you get your rice from, if all farmers would think like you do? 

BestB is a keyboard farmer/warrior with little experience of living in Nakhon Nowhere.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, cooked said:

YOU really have NO idea of rural life, do you? My son in law never stops, apart from three days after the rice harvest, no holidays, cows to be looked after, grass to be cut... never mind, when I tell my wife about remarks like yours she also gets furious. He CAN'T get a job at his age you buffoon, not in the provinces, even though he is an excellent builder and worker. Of course there are idle so and sos around the village, but not the farmers.

You tell your wife what you post about on here? Must be a right hoot in your house.

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, cooked said:

Do you mean I really do not care much for lazy who can not be bothered to get off their butts? Yes you right I do not .

do they have legs? Arms? Well

then get off the butt, go into

the city and get s job Instead of whining and demanding hand outs, while doing as little as possible 

as simple as that 

27 minutes ago, billd766 said:

BestB is a keyboard farmer/warrior with little experience of living in Nakhon Nowhere.

Why would I live in the middle of nowhere and be surrounded by lazy parasites? And then not only expect but demand some kind of pity?????

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, cooked said:

If you can't get a job where you are , you move to where you can get one.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BestB said:

Minimum wage paid job, after working for a while you can either get promoted. Or yearly wage rise or change to better paying job having some skill and experience or put yourself through weekend school

maids can earn 15000-20000 per month almost double the minimum wage, food provided by the company.

many also offer free rooms for staff

Does Thailand have a “minimum wage”? But what type of job if you live in a rural Issan village? Put yourself through weekend school? What weekend school would that be, bearing in mind you are living in a rural Issan village? In a rural Issan village who is looking for a “maid” and is willing to pay 20,000 Baht per month plus food?

I’m guessing of course, but would you be American by any chance? Because your comments about “lazy” and “getting off your butt” sound very familiar. But when pressed on what a rural Thai with a low level of education could practically do your default answer is what you’d say in the US ... get a minumum wage job, put yourself through school, etc. Doable in a wealthy first world country, but not in a rural Issan village. These opportunities are not easily at hand to the son or daughter of a rural Thai farmer, no matter how hard they work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

If you can't get a job where you are , you move to where you can get one.

That’s what people are doing in Central America ... moving from home and family to obtain a better life for themselves ... there’s a recent photograph of a man and his young daughter, face down in the water dead having tried to cross the Rio Grande river and get into the US.

That man was “getting off his lazy butt” .... but the strange thing is that the very people who urge everyone to do that are the same people who want to “build a wall” to prevent them. 

It’s shameful for privileged people to criticise impoverished people for not being like them, whilst taking every step to protect their own privileges. Life’s a lot easier when you are raised in a country where there are lots of opportunities for advancement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

Does Thailand have a “minimum wage”? But what type of job if you live in a rural Issan village? Put yourself through weekend school? What weekend school would that be, bearing in mind you are living in a rural Issan village? In a rural Issan village who is looking for a “maid” and is willing to pay 20,000 Baht per month plus food?

I’m guessing of course, but would you be American by any chance? Because your comments about “lazy” and “getting off your butt” sound very familiar. But when pressed on what a rural Thai with a low level of education could practically do your default answer is what you’d say in the US ... get a minumum wage job, put yourself through school, etc. Doable in a wealthy first world country, but not in a rural Issan village. These opportunities are not easily at hand to the son or daughter of a rural Thai farmer, no matter how hard they work.

Maids, construction site, factories, restaurants, shops and list goes on

thailand does not have minimum wage? Really? Is that new sob story of the “rural”?

Rural is the only place in Thailand ? Rural can not move their ass to the cities? 

Let me guess , jobs should go to them. Not them moving to where jobs are?

what weekend schools ? Well

that would depend on what they wanted to study, would it not ?

but I keep forgetting , not only food needs to be cut for them but also chewed and spoon fed 

love it how you make it out as if rural Thailand was a jail and they just can not get out 

The staffing at the coupon-buying desk at Food at The Avenue is ridiculous. 4-5 girls doing nothing but talk. I stand there waiting for one to decide to take my money. Many times over staffing is counter-productive.

And the lack of English ability of the single staff member at each vendor (who is usually sleeping) is frustrating. I know the Thai but my tones suck.

Anyway, sorry to intrude but the staffing does relate to your post.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

He does seem to have a lot of experience in fending off inconvenient questions.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Maids, construction site, factories, restaurants, shops and list goes on

thailand does not have minimum wage? Really? Is that new sob story of the “rural”?

Rural is the only place in Thailand ? Rural can not move their ass to the cities? 

Let me guess , jobs should go to them. Not them moving to where jobs are?

what weekend schools ? Well

that would depend on what they wanted to study, would it not ?

but I keep forgetting , not only food needs to be cut for them but also chewed and spoon fed 

love it how you make it out as if rural Thailand was a jail and they just can not get out 

You're the type of person who fails to appreciate that you were born in a first world country with a decent education system and numerous opportunities to advance in life. You think that it was all down to you? And you are dead wrong, you just won a life lottery. And now you are on here telling people without your privileges that their life would change if they just worked hard like you, and stopped being lazy. In Dickensian England they sent illiterate kids up chimneys, they lived in impoverished conditions and had a lower life expectancy and quality than their contemporaries who lived in large townhouses with servants and tutors. 

It's a pity you weren't around in this days to advise those lazy little sods to heed your wise words?

• Haha 1

If you are employee and paying into the social security system you will get a monthly pension of 20% from your salary but salary capped at 15k , you need to have worked at least 15 years and can retire earliest with 55 years of age.

so it means 3k is starting pension (old age allowance), every year over 15 years working puts another 1.5% on top.

for my case I will get 5.000 THB (33.5% from 15) monthly pension after 24 years working at the current number (could be 6.7k (33.5% from 20k capped) if the number will rise as proposed). Lumb sum option is available as well - about 10k/working year - in my case about 240k but I will opt for the monthly pension.

This applies for Thais and foreigners as well.  No you can get an idea about the pension for normal employees in industries and other fields but not government.

e.g. 40 years at a car plant gets you currently 20+25x1.5%=57.5% out of 15k=8.625 monthly pension, so you should plan for further sources of income.......

For 432THB/month I will stay in the social system/health insurance as well after retirement.

3B140C9B-D622-4EE6-BE14-06CADCC0B305.jpeg

Edited by MrJ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexRich said:

You're the type of person who fails to appreciate that you were born in a first world country with a decent education system and numerous opportunities to advance in life. You think that it was all down to you? And you are dead wrong, you just won a life lottery. And now you are on here telling people without your privileges that their life would change if they just worked hard like you, and stopped being lazy. In Dickensian England they sent illiterate kids up chimneys, they lived in impoverished conditions and had a lower life expectancy and quality than their contemporaries who lived in large townhouses with servants and tutors. 

It's a pity you weren't around in this days to advise those lazy little sods to heed your wise words?

Oh I see, so first world countries do not have poor people.  Got ya????????

3 hours ago, BestB said:

Oh I see, so first world countries do not have poor people.  Got ya????????

First world countries provide an education to citizens and offer a far wider selection of opportunities for them to take advantage of. So it’s much easier for someone from a poorer background to move forward in their life. 

Instead of dealing with the point made, you decide to make something up ... I never made any comment about wealthy countries not having poor people? 

Just now, AlexRich said:

First world countries provide an education to citizens and offer a far wider selection of opportunities for them to take advantage of. So it’s much easier for someone from a poorer background to move forward in their life. 

Instead of dealing with the point made, you decide to make something up ... I never made any comment about wealthy countries not having poor people? 

Thailand provides education to its citizens in same way as all other countries.

It is not different for someone in the west than someone in Thailand, Some get off the asses and some do not.

Some work 7 days per week and some do not.

May be in your imaginary world, its different, but in real world, it is not.

Sure, in the West education system is different and kids are taught to think but Thai kids are born in Thailand and raised accordingly.

Some go to school and learn, some drop out of school. 

Some who did not finish school, work hard , go to weekend schools and improve their education and some stay in Isaan waiting for the hand outs.

On 6/25/2019 at 7:15 PM, ghworker2010 said:

It seems that any thai who was lucky enough to land in a long term government job has a comfortable life in retirement. 

Is that why I see so many police here driving Mercedes?

3 hours ago, BestB said:

Thailand provides education to its citizens in same way as all other countries.

It is not different for someone in the west than someone in Thailand, Some get off the asses and some do not.

Some work 7 days per week and some do not.

May be in your imaginary world, its different, but in real world, it is not.

Sure, in the West education system is different and kids are taught to think but Thai kids are born in Thailand and raised accordingly.

Some go to school and learn, some drop out of school. 

Some who did not finish school, work hard , go to weekend schools and improve their education and some stay in Isaan waiting for the hand outs.

Actually inherent wealth is much greater in 1st world countries, so westerners do have a better chance of being financially successful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BestB said:

... Here is a thought stop hanging around parasites and see how well  some folks do in Isaan.  ...

I'm amazed at how well some of my wife's cousins and old schoolmate friends in Loei have done.  Not farmers, but small-town dwellers and merchants.  Maybe net worths from 1 - 10 million $ US.  One has a large hotel complex on the Mekong river near Chiang Khan and another hotel in the main town of Loei. 

To be fair, many are of Vietnamese decent, so there's a certain get-ahead mindset involved. 

I think this is the hotel:

34030051_1564680596974477_56524710937813

• Like 2