Top Ten tips to tipping in Thailand

snoop1130

I'm an American and my wife is a Thai. She pays all bills and I see where and how she tips. She often gives to the "real" poor and pays 500 Baht per day (Thais lucky to get 350 Baht/day) to laborers she hires for work I can no longer do which is just about anything now at 79. No more bars so that problem has gone away. In a younger foolish period I spent foolishly and enjoyed it foolishly.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Isn’t that just an alternative way to say I’m too stingy.

no, the tipping culture is a pecking order culture,

it doesnt belong in modern world,

leave the bad manner in USA if you are hellbent on coming

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 9:05 AM, CNXexpat said:

... In better restaurants I saw Thais leaving the coins on the table. That´s it. The tip idea of 10% or more came with the western tourists. 

I had a good Thai teacher back in 1977.  No tipping.  Order one bottle of a beer for 4 guys and keep the waitress running back for another cold bottle every 5 minutes.  He took a bunch of us to a great cat house in Khon Kaen one time.  One of those with bleacher benches in a booth and the gals had number badges on them.  Gave us pointers about selecting, he did. 

image.png.ee64893e60ff70b806ddd1ed0aec453b.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, brokenbone said:

no, the tipping culture is a pecking order culture,

it doesnt belong in modern world,

leave the bad manner in USA if you are hellbent on coming

If I have the opportunity to help improve someone’s life in some small way because they’re doing their job well then I will pass on that opportunity. Tipping IS the norm in Thailand in many ways. I’ve never been out with Thai friends and not seen them tip.

Tipping is as much a part of the modern world as driving a car or having a smart phone. It’s your way of justifying stinginess to say that it isn’t.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

25 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Thais might tip in an upmarket, expensive establishment. Isn't that to do with 'making face', to show how well off you're claiming to be?

However, if you're eating food in a cheap Thai restaurant - maybe at the side of the road, I have yet to see one Thai tip one Baht in that situation.

“However, if you're eating food in a cheap Thai restaurant - maybe at the side of the road, I have yet to see one Thai tip one Baht in that situation.”   Obviously .

when I go for a coffee at Amazon 2x cappuccino 90 baht, pay with 200 baht so 10 baht hoes in the tip box. Is that me showing off in an upmarket establishment?

Edited by Fairynuff

There is one place in Pattaya I go almost every week. The bill is usually around 800 baht and I leave 200 baht more for the one and the same waiter. Important: I hand the tip straight to him. For this money I get the highest level of service from the man, never getting disappointed with anything. 

Regarding Pattaya girl bars - you are expected to leave all your belongings while there. 

Edited by Zikomat
  • Sad 1

On 6/25/2019 at 1:09 PM, bluesofa said:

Interesting that tipping immigration isn't mentioned.

BJ had signs to say no tipping, Now from what a lot of posters have said, some of the signs seem to have disappeared.

The 'tips' are done by middlemen AKA agents.

13 hours ago, cobra said:

We tip, because we can, 

Do this in China and Japan and you insult the people and show yourself as an ignorant tourist who knows nothing about the local culture and you are not interested in it, because tipping is totally unknown. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Do this in China and Japan and you insult the people and show yourself as an ignorant tourist who knows nothing about the local culture and you are not interested in it, because tipping is totally unknown. 

Good advice. I already knew about Japan. However, we're in Thailand and Thais do leave tips at nice places. They might not say anything outloud but they'll think of you as cheap or as an ignorant tourist. 

1 minute ago, GroupA said:

Good advice. I already knew about Japan. However, we're in Thailand and Thais do leave tips at nice places. They might not say anything outloud but they'll think of you as cheap or as an ignorant tourist. 

Yes, at tourist places. As written before, at one Thai place they refused my tip because they had no idea for what and at a second place the owner brought the money I left on the table to me on my way to the car because he thought I forgot it. 

12 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Yes, at tourist places. As written before, at one Thai place they refused my tip because they had no idea for what and at a second place the owner brought the money I left on the table to me on my way to the car because he thought I forgot it. 

I would then tip them again for bringing my money, ????

Seriously, never saw that happen but if it did I would explain the service was great and it is the custom from where I come from to acknowledge that by leaving a tip, 

I think at that point they would graciously accept.

Edited by cobra

2 hours ago, cobra said:

I would then tip them again for bringing my money, ????

Seriously, never saw that happen but if it did I would explain the service was great and it is the custom from where I come from to acknowledge that by leaving a tip, 

I think at that point they would graciously accept.

Why do you want to bring your culture to another country? In China and Japan tipping is also very uncommon. So they also don´t tip in Thailand. But ok, that´s what you mean: bringing their culture in another country ????

On 6/25/2019 at 7:58 PM, lapd said:

I know a British guy who never tips anything anywhere, including the tourist/girly bars.  He thinks it's stupid when we do it.  I'm trying to follow his example as much as possible.  Just tell them you're British. ????

Like in a film Reservoir Dogs????

On 6/27/2019 at 7:22 AM, FredGallaher said:

Thais also tip for good service. If I can't afford an appropriate tip I don't go. Its a nice way to say thank you, but I'm not a cheap charlie. 

i can always afford to go because i dont tip ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brokenbone said:

see it as a strength of character to not give in to lowlifes bitching and blackmail for a tip,

you really dont owe them anything

I find your attitude really quite nasty. I can only imagine that your life has been tough for you to be this bitter

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

You brag about your strength of character and then call them lowlifes in one poorly written sentence. Classic. Bitching and blackmailing for a tip? Never seen it. But maybe they see your true 'character' for what it is.

no, i dont have the strength, i gave into the insults,

but i hope others are stronger then me,

blackmail must be fought back

6 minutes ago, Puwa said:

{snipped}

9) Thai people sometimes use the term "tip" as a euphemism for payment for a "special service," as at a massage parlor.

As long as you're not suffering from leprosy. "Keep the tip" might not be an appropriate phrase in such circumstances.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Puwa said:

Here are 10 actual tips for tipping:

1) It's optional.

2) It is as much a social transaction as a financial one. Giver and receiver have roles to play. The giver tips nonchalantly (never ostentatiously), and the receiver wais upon receipt, regardless of the amount. It's ok to simply smile or nod in return.

3) Personally, I never tip anyone who asks for a tip outright, a huge breech of decorum.

4) Traditionally, tipping for meals was a "keep the change" situation. If that's a few coins at a simple shop, fine. Obviously, at nicer or more expensive places, a bit more thought is required when paying for 990B bill with a 1000 note. First get your 10 baht change, then add whatever you want to it. 

5) You always give a tip directly to the person, rather than just including extra when you pay, and they always must acknowledge it. This reported phenomenon of servers deciding for themselves to keep the change is entirely unacceptable and no Thai person would stand for that.

6) For most taxis, it's ok just round up to the next 10 baht, or 20, so a 47 baht fare is 50, a 49 becomes 60.

7) A generous tip is appropriate when you rent a van and driver for something like an interprovincial excursion. 

???? At a 3-4 star hotel, 20-40 baht per day for the housekeeper isn't required but is greatly appreciated; 5-star maybe 50 and up.

9) Thai people sometimes use the term "tip" as a euphemism for payment for a "special service," as at a massage parlor.

10) This goes a bit beyond tipping. I know there's a popular belief among farang that Thais will do anything for money, but in fact there are a lot of cultural sensitivities around money, especially the handling of cash. Maybe I'm a bit traditional/conservative when it comes to these things, but I tend to follow this old-school practice. In some situations, overtly taking bills from your wallet, counting it out conspicuously, and giving cash hand to hand is considered vulgar and insulting--especially if it is someone with whom you have a personal, professional, intimate, or ongoing relationship. Instead, when possible put the money in an envelope (a great use for hotel-room envelopes). The receiver will will appreciate the gesture. 

Wow .., an invaluable guide ... thanks

• Like 1