BANGKOK 19 July 2019 03:00
YangYaiEric

How can I obtain PR status(Permanent Residency)

Have you been working and paying taxes in Thailand for the last 3 years ? If so I understand one of the conditions is having a 5 year history of it. Also you need to be aware only 100 of each nationality is accepted for PR application every year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You only have to be working with a work permit and paying taxes for 3 years not 5 and it has to be 3 years on continuous extensions of stay.

Thanks for the correction.

Many thanks for the info guys! Since I DONT work or pay income tax in Thailand, I guess I cannot get PR! I've been retired for last 3 years and work with my wife in our property rental business(unofficially!). So much for that then!

• Like 2

I thought you could get PR with marriage also, but I'm unsure about the requirements.

23 minutes ago, YangYaiEric said:

I've been retired for last 3 years and work with my wife in our property rental business(unofficially!).

How many property rental companies are there in Nakorn Rachasima? Asking for a friend 5555

1 hour ago, geoffbezoz said:

But Thais have the right to make their own rules so it is what it is

Of course they have. What about your country of origin? Do they make their own rules, and have a legislation that originates from the country?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, YangYaiEric said:

Many thanks for the info guys! Since I DONT work or pay income tax in Thailand, I guess I cannot get PR! I've been retired for last 3 years and work with my wife in our property rental business(unofficially!). So much for that then!

As long as you have a non-immigrant visa, and have extended your stay (visa) for 3 consecutive years, there are five categories under which applicants can apply. That said, if you're not working, probably the only other way you could apply would be investment based.

"There are several options open to foreigners in Thailand who wish to apply for permanent residency status. The first one is based on investment, which consists of two components: presenting proof of investment both before permanent residence is granted and after it is granted. Before the permanent resident status is granted, the applicant must have invested at least 10 million baht into the country. Thereafter, the applicant must maintain the investment for three consecutive years after the permanent resident status is granted. Specifically, that amount of money must be invested in one of three targets:

(1) a Limited Company or Public Limited Company 

(2) a bond issued by the government or a state enterprise in which the Ministry of Finance or Bank of Thailand is a guarantor or

(3) shares or other instruments in the Thai stock market which has been certified by the Securities and Exchange Commission.

[snip]"

https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-law/thai-permanent-residency-category-investment/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ExpatDraco said:

I thought you could get PR with marriage also, but I'm unsure about the requirements.

Working with a work,  paying taxes and etc for 3 years. Minimum salary is 50k baht unless that has changed in the last few years (not shown in the list of requirements)

See page 11 of the PDF file I post a link to in my previous post ( https://www.immigration.go.th/download/1560937657542.pdf ).

• Like 1