How can I obtain PR status(Permanent Residency)

1 hour ago, Requiem said:

Sorry, can someone list the advantages of becoming a Permanent Resident of Thailand?

This is list of benefits posted on another site. IMO it covers the main benefits. 

• Buy a condo without having to transfer money from abroad.
  • You can become a director of a public company.
  • You can apply for an extension of stay for a non-Thai family members.
  • Stay in Thailand permanently without a visa.
  • Circumvent visa runs, red tape and extended stays.
  • Obtain a work permit quickly and easily.
  • Obtain a permanent residence book and alien registration book.
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, elviajero said:

As long as you have a non-immigrant visa, and have extended your stay (visa) for 3 consecutive years, there are five categories under which applicants can apply. That said, if you're not working, probably the only other way you could apply would be investment based.

"There are several options open to foreigners in Thailand who wish to apply for permanent residency status. The first one is based on investment, which consists of two components: presenting proof of investment both before permanent residence is granted and after it is granted. Before the permanent resident status is granted, the applicant must have invested at least 10 million baht into the country. Thereafter, the applicant must maintain the investment for three consecutive years after the permanent resident status is granted. Specifically, that amount of money must be invested in one of three targets:

(1) a Limited Company or Public Limited Company 

(2) a bond issued by the government or a state enterprise in which the Ministry of Finance or Bank of Thailand is a guarantor or

(3) shares or other instruments in the Thai stock market which has been certified by the Securities and Exchange Commission.

[snip]"

https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-law/thai-permanent-residency-category-investment/

So put 10 mil in an SET tracker and your eligible ?? At any time after 3 years of extensions ?? 

9 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

So put 10 mil in an SET tracker and your eligible ?? At any time after 3 years of extensions ?? 

I don’t know what a “SET tracker” is, but in principle, yes.

7 hours ago, elviajero said:

No you don’t.

Work or investment are two separate options. The investment has to remain in place for at least three years instead.

Right so it will be no problem for you to come up with an example of an successful PR applicant on the basis of investment.

Only one will do.

Either in real life or referenced here in the TV forum will also be ok.

Of course, if you can't come up with a single real example, then it would tend to suggest that you're in fact wrong.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thedemon said:

Right so it will be no problem for you to come up with an example of an successful PR applicant on the basis of investment.

Only one will do.

Of course, if you can't come up with a single real example, then it would tend to suggest that you're in fact wrong.

What exactly am I wrong about?

FACT.

You can apply based on work OR investment. They are two separate options.

On 6/25/2019 at 9:57 PM, Matzzon said:

There is an option. It´s called planning your life and reading the rules and consider your options.

As 50 year old you can get retirement extension and live happily ever after. 

If married you can get extension based on your marriage, and live happily ever after.

Got thai children? No problem, get an extension based on child dependant, and live happily ever after.

Not have anything of that or just to young. Yes! then you have to try to cheat the Immigration everytime you wish to live in the country, which luckily is getting harder and harder.

If your only possibility to visit a country is to do it on a tourist visa, then you are not supposed to live in the countery, hence the name.

Well said if I may say so and despite the comments of many on this site not difficult.

If I was a 50 year old Thai male with 800,000 baht in the bank or a equivalent monthly income I couldn’t fly into Australia or I suspect many other western countries and stay indefinitely using one of the above methods.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, elviajero said:

FACT.

But if you look at the investment category requirements it still shows that you must supply work/tax history too.  Perhaps this category is more like the combo method for retirement/marriage extensions.

On 6/25/2019 at 7:36 PM, ubonjoe said:

You only have to be working with a work permit and paying taxes for 3 years not 5 and it has to be 3 years on continuous extensions of stay.

thanks, already found the answer to my question

Edited by Mavideol

5 hours ago, rwill said:

But if you look at the investment category requirements it still shows that you must supply work/tax history too.  Perhaps this category is more like the combo method for retirement/marriage extensions.

The main point is that the 10M is in place of the 80K pm income. You do not need to be working, but presumably they want you registered for tax and submitting tax returns each year. Your work history could include the fact that you’re retired.

If the investment option also requires you to work and earn 80K pm, what is the point of tying up 10M when you can simply apply based on work?

https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-law/thai-permanent-residency-category-investment/

Edited by elviajero

14 hours ago, elviajero said:

FACT.

Thing is you can apply.. and then theres being granted.. You can apply on the basis of being married to a Thai.. You just wont ever get approved. 

This is why I was suddenly interested.. I know theres a 10 mil investor visa, I had no idea that 10 mil invested for 3 years had any lead to a successful PR application.. And to be honest still dont. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rwill said:

Or perhaps the idea is the investment is supposed to being you a return, on which you would pay taxes.. 

16 hours ago, thedemon said:

Only one will do.

I know one.. But it was 40 mil.. Geoff the ex owner of the yorkshire inn in Patong, had PR on that basis.. And didnt speak any Thai at all, I mean barely a khop khun khrap.. 

I know that route was there post 97 asian currency crisis.. and he brought his sterling in at around 80 to the GBP.. But no idea if that system was formally closed or still exists, so few folks operating in the 40 mil cash to deposit range.. 

21 hours ago, Burma Man said:

In many European and Scandinavian countries , USA , UK , Aussie , you can apply for PR after some 3 or 4 years consecutive stay , no matter you have work or not. Here in Thailand , even after 100 years stay and 200 grand sons and daughters with Thai wife you have no chance to get PR if you have only marriage or retirement visa. Or else you need to win 1 st prize Thai lottery several times to get enough money to invest...Poor Us....

you guys didn't get the point yet.... they don't want us here, they just tolerate us. They give us hard time just getting extension of stay now imagine how more hard time they will give us for PR, don't bother they will find a way to reject it

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 8:58 AM, ubonjoe said:

Working with a work,  paying taxes and etc for 3 years. Minimum salary is 50k baht unless that has changed in the last few years (not shown in the list of requirements)

See page 11 of the PDF file I post a link to in my previous post ( https://www.immigration.go.th/download/1560937657542.pdf ).

Only 40k required if you want citizenship, which is much cheaper and more beneficial than PR.

14 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Only 40k required if you want citizenship, which is much cheaper and more beneficial than PR.

but the draw back may be the read, write and speak Thai or are you fluent?

7 minutes ago, Triton said:

I understand that

• 3 years on same Non Immigrant Visa
  • Marriage Certificate of Thailand
  • Address of own property

are the fundamental conditions to qualify PR.

That is way short of being all the requirements.

A visa entry is not acceptable. You have to be on extensions of stay for 3 consecutive years.

Marriage certificate not required unless applying for one based upon marriage to a Thai

Property ownership is not required. Foreigners cannot own property. They can own a condo.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Not required any more.

Really? I don't question your statement but it certainly seems odd that the language requirement is less onerous for citizen applicants than those for PR.

10 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Really? I don't question your statement but it certainly seems odd that the language requirement is less onerous for citizen applicants than those for PR.

I don't know about now. But even when it definitely was a requirement, it was not really enforced. I know a number of people who were assisted through this part of the process during the application. They could not hold a conversation in Thai and certainly couldn't read it.

3 hours ago, jayboy said:

You don't need to speak Thai for PR. 

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

Actually you do - although in my time the test was not that demanding.I understand in recent years it has become more stringent.So your comment is wrong I’m afraid.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just my experience, two friends got it. One was the first secretary at the US embassy though and had the order of the white elephant, which probably helped, CIA speaking 7 languages fluently but not a word in Thai.

Just my experience, two friends got it. One was the first secretary at the US embassy though and had the order of the white elephant, which probably helped, CIA speaking 7 languages fluently but not a word in Thai.

There will obviously always be exceptions but it’s misleading to suggest a knowledge of Thai is not required.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app