How can I obtain PR status(Permanent Residency)

On 7/4/2019 at 5:21 PM, ubonjoe said:

There is no minimum salary for an extension based upon teaching. To apply for PR based on marriage they still would need a minimum income of 50k baht.

For PR based upon working it is 80k baht minimum income.

For most jobs, the minimum salary is 80K/mo, and 50K if married, but if you are a teacher there is no minimum salary?

3 hours ago, ThLT said:

For most jobs, the minimum salary is 80K/mo, and 50K if married, but if you are a teacher there is no minimum salary?

Yes. He's referring to a professional teacher at a government approved educational institution.

On 6/27/2019 at 12:57 PM, elviajero said:

If the investment option also requires you to work and earn 80K pm, what is the point of tying up 10M when you can simply apply based on work?

https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-law/thai-permanent-residency-category-investment/

I contacted Sunbelt Asia, 'Thailand's Largest Business Services Network', using their free consultation link, which seems to link to their contact form:

I've been reading https://www.sunbeltasia.com/investment-visa and https://www.sunbeltasia.com/permanent-residency (based on investing 10 million in Thailand). 

However, from reading https://www.immigration.go.th/download/1560937657542.pdf (page 7 deals with Investment Category) it also lists a number of requirements related to work, such as #5 (employment history), #6 (employment certification), and #13 (many photos of applicant's workplace).
Is permanent residency available solely based on investment, or is work required as well? Does your company have experience with permanent residency based on investment?

A 'Foreign Legal Advisor' very kindly replied:

This  https://www.sunbeltasia.com/investment-visa   for the investment visa talks about investing in  a condominium or bank deposit or buying government bonds and this type of investment is not for working in Thailand. This visa is not allowed to apply for Permanent Residence because there are no company documents involve. 

To apply for a Permanent Residence permit, a foreigner must be working here through the investment visa ( where a Board of Investment company was registered) or the normal business visa which is used when employed under a Thai company limited. 

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

The second half of their answer, about permanent residence, seems to assume applying under the investment category requirement 10(1) instead of under 10(2) or 10(3) (relating to government bond/stock market investments). However, my questions/use case might not be their target market.

On 6/25/2019 at 7:36 PM, ubonjoe said:

You only have to be working with a work permit and paying taxes for 3 years not 5 and it has to be 3 years on continuous extensions of stay.

Jo,  from what I read being married and on 3 consecutive visas for humanitarian basis qualifies me, no?

8 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

Jo,  from what I read being married and on 3 consecutive visas for humanitarian basis qualifies me, no?

Not since about 2008. That was written in a ministerial order done in 2003 but was more less rescinded then but in reality it was never allowed.

38 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not since about 2008. That was written in a ministerial order done in 2003 but was more less rescinded then but in reality it was never allowed.

I worked and paid taxes for 3 years but had to stop for health reasons las 1st of March...

Extending visa in December... can I qualify for residency anyway?

I've read this entire thread but the investment approach seems unverified and unclear to me. Assuming the investment pathway is real and requires 10 million THB investment for 3 years this would seem an ideal way to get PR assuming you have 10 Mil THB you can do without for 3 years and that you can reclaim the 10 Mil THB and ideally some investment return after this period?

For me personally if I am able to invest 10 Mil THB in Thai government bonds and reclaim it after 3 years and get PR that is something I want to understand more. I am not fluent in Thai but I can read, write and speak it at a significantly advanced level. It'd be great if someone on this board had personally gotten the Investment PR and could talk more about it. A Second consideration is if I could also get PR for my wife using that same 10 million or perhaps that requires an additional 10 Mil THB?

28 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

I worked and paid taxes for 3 years but had to stop for health reasons las 1st of March...

Extending visa in December... can I qualify for residency anyway?

Only if you can meet all the requirements shown on page 11 of this PDF. Permanent Residency Requirements June 2019.pdf

• 1 year later...
On 6/26/2019 at 8:58 AM, ubonjoe said:

Working with a work,  paying taxes and etc for 3 years. Minimum salary is 50k baht unless that has changed in the last few years (not shown in the list of requirements)

See page 11 of the PDF file I post a link to in my previous post ( https://www.immigration.go.th/download/1560937657542.pdf ).

Last I checked was 30K if married to Thai lady.

On 6/26/2019 at 12:38 PM, scorecard said:

Plus, to be clear 'investment' doesn't mean buying an expensive house and car etc., it does mean establishing a real business and employing larger numbers of Thai workers.

You have to Invest 10 Mill THB in Thai Govt Bonds and maintain that investment for 3 yrs even after you are granted the PR.

Good thing = your money is refundable.

3 hours ago, JAFO said:

What are the perks of becoming a PR?

Perks - 

1. No visa required to stay in Thailand.

2. Can use Thai Passport Only lane at the Thai Int airports.

3. You can put your name in the Blue House Book.

4. Can become Director of a Thai public company ( I highly doubt it tho)

5.You may get loans from Thai banks (Not credit cards)

6.Can apply for extension of your Non Thai family members.

7. Can apply for Thai citizenship after holding PR for 5 Years.

On 9/10/2019 at 11:22 AM, wasabi said:

I've read this entire thread but the investment approach seems unverified and unclear to me. Assuming the investment pathway is real and requires 10 million THB investment for 3 years this would seem an ideal way to get PR assuming you have 10 Mil THB you can do without for 3 years and that you can reclaim the 10 Mil THB and ideally some investment return after this period?

For me personally if I am able to invest 10 Mil THB in Thai government bonds and reclaim it after 3 years and get PR that is something I want to understand more. I am not fluent in Thai but I can read, write and speak it at a significantly advanced level. It'd be great if someone on this board had personally gotten the Investment PR and could talk more about it. A Second consideration is if I could also get PR for my wife using that same 10 million or perhaps that requires an additional 10 Mil THB?

You still need to work in Thailand and hold a WP , even for Investment category.

Best is 80,000 THB salary route, if not married to Thai lady.

21 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Perks - 

1. No visa required to stay in Thailand.

2. Can use Thai Passport Only lane at the Thai Int airports.

3. You can put your name in the Blue House Book.

4. Can become Director of a Thai public company ( I highly doubt it tho)

5.You may get loans from Thai banks (Not credit cards)

6.Can apply for extension of your Non Thai family members.

7. Can apply for Thai citizenship after holding PR for 5 Years.

Thanks Dr Joy. I was serious with my question. I have been living and working in Thailand since 2016  and paid in Thai Baht and pay Thai taxes. 

Another question. Lets say I decided to resign from my job after my PR is in place, is that PR status stopped?

Thanks

15 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Another question. Lets say I decided to resign from my job after my PR is in place, is that PR status stopped?

Once granted, PR status is not linked to your work permit, marriage or anything else. This is probably the best single reason for obtaining PR.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 4:28 PM, JAFO said:

Thanks Dr Joy. I was serious with my question. I have been living and working in Thailand since 2016  and paid in Thai Baht and pay Thai taxes. 

Thanks

Once granted is granted. This is the case only If you dont leave Thailand. You still need to do Re entry permit and Endorsement of your Alien Book (PR) without these you PR will lapse upon exit and there is absolutely no way of getting it back. You can stay out of Thailand only for 364 days to be exact.

• 3 months later...

My friend is going through the PR process and will take the interview soon. She really wants to quit her job after the interview (toxic environment) and both the agent and the immigraiton officer have said this is fine to do after extending the 'under consideration for pr status' for another 6 months. If she resigns while still under consideration, but after the interview and after renewing it on the 'under consideration status, will the company send a notice to immigration when she resigns to cancel the non-b and thus trigger a cancellation of the under consideration?  Or can she trust the case officer and agent that it will be fine