All eyes on YOU: Pattaya’s state of the art CCTV system watches the city’s every move

snoop1130

All eyes on YOU: Pattaya’s state of the art CCTV system watches the city’s every move

65234670_670677126730209_7142741268508966912_o.jpg

Read a news story about necklace snatch or a gang of pickpocketing ladyboys in Pattaya and invariably there will be something about how the suspects were apprehended after cops checked CCTV footage.

On Monday, the Pattaya City Facebook page gave a rare insight into the thousands of closed circuit television cameras that cover most of the popular resort destination.

There are now thousands of CCTV cameras in Pattaya, which were installed as part of a government initiative to link 367,000 CCTV cameras throughout Thailand by the end of 2019.

Dubbed the “Third Eye” the cameras help to act as a deterrent to crime, as well as quickly helping to resolve existing cases by helping to provide much needed evidence needed to crack a case.

Cameras have now been installed on many major junctions, street corners and other important locations throughout the city, including the beach!

The cameras are monitored from the central control room pictured with footage accessible to the police and local authorities.

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Source: Pattaya City

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-25

I just can't understand how in Thailand, every single time a foreigner is a victim of crime, the cameras were not working. Are they getting the 199 baht ones from Lazada, or is that an easy way to say that they can't be bothered to take the matter further?

I think somebody decided to keep an eye on all those brothels (fronting as bars) and their farang/Thai pimps (bar owners/illegally working farang managers) giving opportunity only to Thais and denying equal opportunity to African ladies. 

13 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

opportunity only to Thais and denying equal opportunity to African ladies. 

maybe they heard "Once you have black, you never go back" and got worried they local economy would collapse.

4 hours ago, SteveK said:

When you need the footage, the cameras will be broken, 100% guaranteed.

What a silly thing to say , we have reported cases almost daily where CCTV have been used to solve crimes. In the old days they would get away with it. 

Gotta admit it's becoming a guilty pleasure .......

In general cctv (public and private) has solved quite a few mysteries of the Pattaya Universe so far, so there's no turning back to the old days of artist renderings.

I Just hope they don't catch me scratching my @$$ someday and post it all over facebook and youtube................

happy-stick-figure-woman-shopping-119403156.jpg

Screenshot 2019-06-25 at 2.19.35 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-06-25 at 2.20.04 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-06-25 at 2.18.41 PM.png

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the cameras help to act as a deterrent to crime

I do not think they act as a measurable or effective deterrent, mainly because the punishments and penalties for so many crimes are pretty small.  But they can help in solving some crimes

9 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Errrm, is this the same system that was reported to have more non functional than functional cameras not long back

All fixed now then?......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Until next time they can be bothered to look. How long before we read a surveillance camera as being out of service being used as an excuse?

I think that system anythingleft? referred to was the one that didn't have footage of suspects of Erawan Shine bombing some years ago. Could be wrong.

What could be off here?

Lack of maintenance

not enough staff and/or staff too busy on social media to look at CCTV feed

Putting cameras in must have been a cash cow for certain people.

6 hours ago, balo said:

What a silly thing to say , we have reported cases almost daily where CCTV have been used to solve crimes. In the old days they would get away with it. 

Not necessarily silly as history proves. It all depends on how rich and influentual you are. Just imagine a certain deceased godfather's son killing someone in a drunken fit. Do you really believe the cctv cameras will be working? No, they won't, and we all know it. And let's not forget that the massively expensive cctv system for Bangkok - a few years back it was found that 60% were not working, and history once again points to the same happening here in Pattaya in a year or two. Sorry mate, but confidence in the police and assorted authorities will never happen.

12 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Errrm, is this the same system that was reported to have more non functional than functional cameras not long back

All fixed now then?......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

yeah months ago it was reported that less than 50 percent of cctvs actually worked.....

Archived