Patong tsunami-evacuation drill hailed a success, spurs an excited false start

snoop1130

Patong tsunami-evacuation drill hailed a success, spurs an excited false start

By The Phuket News

1561464669_1-org.jpg

The tsunami-evacuation drill conducted in Patong today (June 25) was hailed a success. Photo: Patong Municipality Fire Dept

PHUKET:-- The tsunami-evacuation sirens sounded the alarm at Patong Beach at 1:30pm today (June 25), marking the start of the mass evacuation drill which was joined by more than 600 people this afternoon.

The evacuation drill was hailed a success by organising officials, who orchestrated a slew of government departments, emergency-response agencies and medical staff in providing the disaster-emergency that would be required in the event that a genuine tsunami would strike our shores again.

Enthusiasm in taking part led several participants into making a false start, running from the beach before the alarms sounded, explained Patong Deputy Mayor Boonma Aeapsap, responsible for the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation at Patong Municipality (DDOM-Patong).

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-tsunami-evacuation-drill-hailed-a-success-spurs-an-excited-false-start-71911.php#eCwZoCd8Gf9fHARc.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-06-25

I posed a question to Thai students what they would do in response to a Tsunami in the event of it happening again.

They all said call the emergency service who would pick-up the casualties and drive them to hospital.

I asked what would they do if the roads had been wiped out with debris, no vehicles were around, the local hospital was destroyed by the Tsunami.

I got a lot of blank stares !

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I posed a question to Thai students what they would do in response to a Tsunami in the event of it happening again.

They all said call the emergency service who would pick-up the casualties and drive them to hospital.

I asked what would they do if the roads had been wiped out with debris, no vehicles were around, the local hospital was destroyed by the Tsunami.

I got a lot of blank stares !

Surprised they didn't enquire " would Facebook still work"?

Archived