BKK 90 day report w/o TM30

I live in BKK and submitted my 90 day report online today around noon

was approved when I checked at 6pm

I never ever filed a TM30 at Chaengwattana Immigration

Just came back to BKK from one of my frequent visits upcountry

This time I asked the Hotel there if they file a TM 30 for me and they confirmed

And this post has a second paragraph that's missing?

What's your question? So if your hotel does a tm30 you have no trouble with 90 day report. They are unrelated as far as I know

Edited by DrJack54

14 minutes ago, sirholly said:

hotel does a TM 30 every time I stay upcountry

but I never do a TM30 when I get back to BKK

Why that works is easy to explain. The address notification you have been doing one time in the past, was the same as a TM30. When you go and stay at a hotel, they only make a temporary (soft) registration of address. When you check out, the registration you made at your original home address (hard copy) is again valid.

9 minutes ago, sirholly said:

hotel does a TM 30 every time I stay upcountry

but I never do a TM30 when I get back to BKK

OK. This tm30 stuff is all new at CW. My take on it reading threads is that the tm30 will be needed for your next annual extension but not required for your 90 day report. 

Just do a tm30 just prior to your next extension. 

Mind you the blood suckers have found new cravy train. Take along 800baht for fine.

2 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Why that works is easy to explain. The address notification you have been doing one time in the past, was the same as a TM30. When you go and stay at a hotel, they only make a temporary (soft) registration of address. When you check out, the registration you made at your original home address (hard copy) is again valid.

You state that with such confidence. That does not match up with stated "rules". What is a "soft" registration? 

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You state that with such confidence. That does not match up with stated "rules". What is a "soft" registration? 

It simply means that that your are not obligated to make a new TM30 if you do not leave the country, and sometimes not even then out of the information I got around a day ago on this forum.

It has also been told to me in person by an Immigration officer at my local Immigration Office.

Edited by Matzzon

14 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

It simply means that that your are not obligated to make a new TM30 if you do not leave the country, and sometimes not even then out of the information I got around a day ago on this forum.

It has also been told to me in person by an Immigration officer at my local Immigration Office.

Read the official rules regarding returning to place of residence within 24hours of return. That applies to domestic as well as international. The fact that MANY imm offices have let it slide is not the point. 

I have done 7 extensions of stay based on retirement at CW. NEVER been asked for a tm30 in the past. Apparently now that requirement is required. 

I'm betting your local imm officer was not bkk. 

Edited by DrJack54

32 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm betting your local imm officer was not bkk.

You bet right. There is one thing, though. That is how good connection you have with your IO, and the Immigration Office you belong to. 

As I see it, many people on this forum just complain about the changes instead of rolling with them and deliver a smile. I guess they do not realize how much that smile is really worth, neither do they realize how easy it would be to give it at the same time as they comply with and embrace the rules.

I guess that was the last nail in the coffin that you needed. If not, I can buy a bigger hammer.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Matzzon said:

You bet right. There is one thing, though. That is how good connection you have with your IO, and the Immigration Office you belong to. 

As I see it, many people on this forum just complain about the changes instead of rolling with them and deliver a smile. I guess they do not realize how much that smile is really worth, neither do they realize how easy it would be to give it at the same time as they comply with and embrace the rules.

I guess that was the last nail in the coffin that you needed. If not, I can buy a bigger hammer.

Spare me. I am always polite with imm and people in general. As for imm offices in Thailand ....I read many posts re farang having cozy relationships with imm office. That does not apply in CW. Not because the officers have issues etc. Its due to vast number of folk attending that office. This post from op related to CW. 

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Spare me. I am always polite with imm and people in general. As for imm offices in Thailand ....I read many posts re farang having cozy relationships with imm office. That does not apply in CW. Not because the officers have issues etc. Its due to vast number of folk attending that office. This post from op related to CW. 

So, now you are talking Chaeng Wattana, before you were betting on not BKK. What´s next? So, you do not believe there is a possibility to have a good relation with IO´s working in an well visited office? Hmmmm.... what is your next misstake?

Edited by Matzzon

1 minute ago, Matzzon said:

@DrJack54I didn´t expect anything more than a laugh from you. That´s usually the last resort for the ones that can´t admit they ain´t got their portfolio under control.

Far from it. You do not even report to CW. 

Address the OP and spare us useless info from unrelated imm office. Every member on TVF is aware of different imm offices having their particular "rules"

BTW your original comment re tm30 rules is just plain WRONG. Fact your imm does not require it is irrelevant

4 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

So, now you are talking CW, before you were betting on not BKK. What´s next? So, you do not believe there is a possibility to have a good relation with IO´s working in an well visited office? Hmmmm.... what is your next misstake?

CW imm is BKK.

Geez. Did you read the OP.

Fella attended CW. Lives in bkk

Edited by DrJack54

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Far from it. You do not even report to CW. 

Address the OP and spare us useless info from unrelated imm office. Every member on TVF is aware of different imm offices having their particular "rules"

BTW your original comment re tm30 rules is just plain WRONG. Fact your imm does not require it is irrelevant

Guss that was the end of the discussion. Have a great one!

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

That doesn't match with the advice we've been getting here on the TM30 issue.

Rather, it's that if you have a home established, and then go and stay in a domestic Thai hotel that reports a TM30 for you at their address, and THEN you try to go to Immigration for an extension, it's not going to work because the TM30 system won't show you reported at your home address. Supposedly, the TM30 system only keeps the most recent report location for you, whatever that may be.

Also, I went to BKK CW Immigration today to apply for a new retirement extension. And in processing my paperwork, the officer asked to see BOTH my latest 90 Day Report receipt and a TM30 receipt. And once I provided those, she made photocopies of both, required me to sign them, and added them to my other passport photocopies in my pile of documents.

So at this point, for anyone going to BKK CW for an extension of stay, I advised today in my trip report thread on this to bring along a copy of your latest 90 Day Report AND a TM30 receipt, since at least BKK CW Immigration now appears to be enforcing both!

PS -- lots of folks at BKK CW today were being turned away from their extension applications until they had made a TM30 report in that adjoining section and were able to provide proof to the extension handling officers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sirholly said:

I live in BKK and submitted my 90 day report online today around noon

was approved when I checked at 6pm

I never ever filed a TM30 at Chaengwattana Immigration

Just came back to BKK from one of my frequent visits upcountry

This time I asked the Hotel there if they file a TM 30 for me and they confirmed

I don't think TM30 reporting compliance is required in order to do a successful 90 day report in Immigrations' ONLINE system.

I don't know if TM30 compliance is required if you just went to BKK CW Immigration ONLY to do an INPERSON 90 Day report.

But I'd say it's pretty clear at this point that proof of TM30 compliance IS being required at BKK CW Immigration when folks go there to apply for a new annual extension of stay. And I believe, 800b fines for those who have not reported as required when they go to do the report there.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That doesn't match with the advice we've been getting here on the TM30 issue.

Rather, it's that if you have a home established, and then go and stay in a domestic Thai hotel that reports a TM30 for you at their address, and THEN you try to go to Immigration for an extension, it's not going to work because the TM30 system won't show you reported at your home address. Supposedly, the TM30 system only keeps the most recent report location for you, whatever that may be.

Also, I went to BKK CW Immigration today to apply for a new retirement extension. And in processing my paperwork, the officer asked to see BOTH my latest 90 Day Report receipt and a TM30 receipt. And once I provided those, she made photocopies of both, required me to sign them, and added them to my other passport photocopies in my pile of documents.

So at this point, for anyone going to BKK CW for an extension of stay, I advised today in my trip report thread on this to bring along a copy of your latest 90 Day Report AND a TM30 receipt, since at least BKK CW Immigration now appears to be enforcing both!

PS -- lots of folks at BKK CW today were being turned away from their extension applications until they had made a TM30 report in that adjoining section and were able to provide proof to the extension handling officers.

Ok, Now it´s two. I stand corrected. It only works perfect, everywhere that I go.

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Not every, or perhaps even many, Immigration offices are enforcing TM30 reporting as part of the extension of stay application process.  But BKK CW IS....

So the only thing that would persuade me to your point of view would be if you reply that you've done an extension of stay application at BKK CW in the past couple months and they didn't care or ask you about your TM30 status.

If you're dealing with a different Immigration office and they don't care about whether you report TM30 or not, enjoy yourself and count yourself lucky!

PS - I should have been more clear above, that my prior post was in the context of BKK CW Immigration and their process. I can't speak to what other Immigration offices may be doing on the issue.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't think TM30 reporting compliance is required in order to do a successful 90 day report in Immigrations' ONLINE system.

I don't know if TM30 compliance is required if you just went to BKK CW Immigration ONLY to do an INPERSON 90 Day report.

But I'd say it's pretty clear at this point that proof of TM30 compliance IS being required at BKK CW Immigration when folks go there to apply for a new annual extension of stay. And I believe, 800b fines for those who have not reported as required when they go to do the report there.

Hi TallGuyJohninBKK -

this TM30 business is totally new to me. I've been renting and living in an apartment in same building in BKK for the last 5 years. During this time I made one trip abroad (back home USA) in 2016. Almost always do 90 day report online. My last (retirement) extension was done this past April (before Songkran.) All went well without any mention of TM30 ever, same goes for past extension renewals.  I have read your detailed report in your new thread of your latest trip to CW which also includes a portion dealing with TM30.

So, I looked at the TM30 template and it's a form for the owner of my building to file with immigration, in this case CW. On page 2 my name and pertaining info should be listed as a person living there. Is it possible that the owner has taken care of TM30 himself and I've been reported as living at this address as far as CW is concerned? And if not, what should I do to start the process. Of course to begin with I will ask building owner to do the TM30 report, all goes well he should get the  receipt back. Then I should ask for a copy of the receipt and include it with other documents for my next extension? Would that be enough or whatelse?

Thank you in advance of any tip/advice you could give, and also thanks for your very detailed and helpful report on your latest CW visit. In the meantime I would check with the building manager about my TM30 status. There is also a TM30 proxy form for "self-filing" but I am not going there yet, I guess last resort if the building owner haven't done and doesn't want to do the TM30 filing himself.

58 minutes ago, smo said:

Hi TallGuyJohninBKK -

this TM30 business is totally new to me. I've been renting and living in an apartment in same building in BKK for the last 5 years. During this time I made one trip abroad (back home USA) in 2016. Almost always do 90 day report online. My last (retirement) extension was done this past April (before Songkran.) All went well without any mention of TM30 ever, same goes for past extension renewals.  I have read your detailed report in your new thread of your latest trip to CW which also includes a portion dealing with TM30.

So, I looked at the TM30 template and it's a form for the owner of my building to file with immigration, in this case CW. On page 2 my name and pertaining info should be listed as a person living there. Is it possible that the owner has taken care of TM30 himself and I've been reported as living at this address as far as CW is concerned? And if not, what should I do to start the process. Of course to begin with I will ask building owner to do the TM30 report, all goes well he should get the  receipt back. Then I should ask for a copy of the receipt and include it with other documents for my next extension? Would that be enough or whatelse?

Thank you in advance of any tip/advice you could give, and also thanks for your very detailed and helpful report on your latest CW visit. In the meantime I would check with the building manager about my TM30 status. There is also a TM30 proxy form for "self-filing" but I am not going there yet, I guess last resort if the building owner haven't done and doesn't want to do the TM30 filing himself.

The whole TM30 thing is new to EVERYONE in BKK, because, even though the law has been on the books for years, it was NEVER enforced against farang tenants here by Immigration, until starting sometime toward the middle to fall of last year (after you would have done your last extension of stay).

There's an online website done by Immigration for TM30 reporting that's mostly in TH language, difficult to use even with Google Translate because some portions won't translate, and is really geared toward Thai hotel and other housing owners. But you could register for it and use it, especially if you read Thai or have someone with you who does.

In the absence of that, for me, the easiest way to report is to simply mail the required documents into CW Immigration using the same address you'd use for mailed in 90 day reports, but just changing the top subject line instead to something like "TM30 Reports section". Other threads here provide that address and a list of the specific documents Immigration wants.

As for the landlord vs tenant issue, IMHO, this really ought to be a landlords issue and not one for tenants. But because of the way the language in the law is written, it can be interpreted as making the tenant responsible also. And if the landlord (who if Thai never deals with Immigration) does NOT comply, then Immigration at CW has decided to start whacking tenants instead via fines for not filing and refusing to do extensions until the TM30 is done.

Earlier this year, I reported myself because I wanted to have the TM30 paper receipt in my pocket when it came time for me to go to Immigration for an extension.  But one part I'm unclear on in this mess is, if your landlord reports you online, I don't think they get a paper receipt, and even if they do, they may not pass it along to the tenant.

So then, in that example of landlord reporting, what happens when you the tenant go to Immigration. You won't have any documentation. But will they look up in their system and confirm that your landlord has meet the requirement? Or, will they fine you anyway and require you to go to the adjoining section and report yourself???  It would be great if someone who's had their landlord report for them online can clarify on that point.

In my case, my small-scale Thai landlord didn't know anything about the TM30 issue when I asked them about it last year. And they had never reported for me or anyone else in the past. So rather than leave the issue in their hands where I might not be sure just what's going on, I opted for certainty, told them I'd handle it myself, and not to worry about it, at least for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tallguy...you have posted a very good summary of this tm30 mess.

I also plan to post my tm30 as you outlined in your post as the "possessor". As I travel every week, I plan on only doing one tm30 which will be after my last reentry into los prior to my next extension. That way at least my passport stamp date will match my tm30 receipt. One problem with using mail is the reports on TVF of long wait for return slip from imm. More than couple of weeks. 

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I also plan to post my tm30 as you outlined in your post as the "possessor". As I travel every week, I plan on only doing one tm30 which will be after my last reentry into los prior to my next extension. That way at least my passport stamp date will match my tm30 receipt. One problem with using mail is the reports on TVF of long wait for return slip from imm. More than couple of weeks. 

Mine back in Jan. took about 2 weeks to be returned. And I'd imagine their mail in system is busier now than it was then, as more and more people are being forced into the TM30 system.

If anything, that's just an argument to do the mail-in filing well in advance of one's extension application. It's not like bank statements. The TM30s don't need to be filed just before you go to Immigration. Just as long as your latest TM30 filing is AFTER any international travel or domestic Thai hotel stays.

32 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If you are the owner of your condo, with yellow book, you should qualify for online tm30.

I used to do tm30 updates also just the once before extension, but from what I read it seems IO are now more careful and I don't want to run risks.

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So then, in that example of landlord reporting, what happens when you the tenant go to Immigration. You won't have any documentation. But will they look up in their system and confirm that your landlord has meet the requirement? Or, will they fine you anyway and require you to go to the adjoining section and report yourself???  It would be great if someone who's had their landlord report for them online can clarify on that point.

Ok things seem to have settled (I hope) rather quickly for me. I now have my TM30 "slip" courtesy of my building manager. We had a long productive talk this afternoon: around March this year the Immigration officer came on-site and told her that the building needs to get up-to-date with its large farang clientele ("we're cosmopolitan aren't we?") He gave her an appointment to come to CW to set up online registration. Since then she has been doing TM30 registration on line for which ever renter's need. There is a large wave of Japanese renters coming in recently and she has done quite a few of these prior to them making the trek to CW.

She asked me for my passport and made copy of my current extension, then she went on line and after a few, printed out my slip. ie a printscreen with my name and passport# in the big window (in the top small window is her username). I've seen these type of documents from the various threads I've been perusing the last couple of days and this seems to be an acceptable form (as long as your name shown up for the online process that's good enough to translate to your being registered, the dates being today date btw). An alternative to the receipt that you get if you did it by mail (after what appears to be a long wait for most.)

24 minutes ago, smo said:

She asked me for my passport and made copy of my current extension, then she went on line and after a few, printed out my slip. ie a printscreen with my name and passport# in the big window (in the top small window is her username). I've seen these type of documents from the various threads I've been perusing the last couple of days and this seems to be an acceptable form (as long as your name shown up for the online process that's good enough to translate to your being registered, the dates being today date btw). An alternative to the receipt that you get if you did it by mail (after what appears to be a long wait for most.)

As long as you've got management like that that's responsive, and you keep them up to date when you travel away or abroad, you should be gold. Just remember to get an updated slip from her before you go to CW, if you've been traveling.

• Like 1