At 70 years old I’m looking for the antidote – Do you have it?

On 7/1/2019 at 11:56 AM, Benroon said:

and if that fever is meningitis you'll be dead !! Happened to a mate of mine at 41 - thought he would tough it out, his dad found him dead the next day.

See a doctor - its what they're paid for. 

you can blindly follow what a doctor tells you ( usually in a very quick and self assured manner as they need to get on to the next payer)

here is some info for you :  

According to a recent study by Johns Hopkins, more than 250,000 people in the United States die every year because of medical mistakes, making it the third leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer.Feb 22, 2018

I, on the other hand have been fortunate not to die,  though I have more than once been given bad information or handed the usual pills that I knew they would give me ..by doctors.  I now trust my self and my knowledge and have not become one of the statistics that you are sure to dismiss.  Doctors are but ONE source of information that I seek when I feel the need.  I do not recommend that everyone do the same as I do, as it is their choice.  One also should be intelligent enough to make decisions based on gaining knowledge about health .  Trying to discuss issues or raising questions with "doctors" is very very often met with disdain.    Same as my reaction to people who post simplistic responses based on their 

attitudes.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, rumak said:
  On 7/1/2019 at 11:56 AM, Benroon said:

and if that fever is meningitis you'll be dead !! Happened to a mate of mine at 41 - thought he would tough it out, his dad found him dead the next day.

See a doctor - its what they're paid for. 

Thank you.  I have now educated myself to some degree so that if I was in a situation where the doctor was going to prescribe the usual course of antibiotics and pain relievers that are given almost always .... I can be equipped with my own observations if they applied to possible meningitis. 

What is the first sign of meningitis?

Meningitis and septicaemia can kill in hours - know the symptoms. The first symptoms are usually fever, vomiting, headache and feeling unwell. Limb pain, pale skin, and cold hands and feet often appear earlier than the rash, neck stiffness, dislike of bright lights and confusion.

11 minutes ago, rumak said:

you can blindly follow what a doctor tells you ( usually in a very quick and self assured manner as they need to get on to the next payer)

here is some info for you :  

According to a recent study by Johns Hopkins, more than 250,000 people in the United States die every year because of medical mistakes, making it the third leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer.Feb 22, 2018

I, on the other hand have been fortunate not to die,  though I have more than once been given bad information or handed the usual pills that I knew they would give me ..by doctors.  I now trust my self and my knowledge and have not become one of the statistics that you are sure to dismiss.  Doctors are but ONE source of information that I seek when I feel the need.  I do not recommend that everyone do the same as I do, as it is their choice.  One also should be intelligent enough to make decisions based on gaining knowledge about health .  Trying to discuss issues or raising questions with "doctors" is very very often met with disdain.    Same as my reaction to people who post simplistic responses based on their 

attitudes.

Many years ago a Thai doctor got very upset with me for questioning her and asking whether perhaps there were other alternative treatments for my daughter. It was a government hospital and apparently doctors are not used to being questioned and patients are not expected to have a good understanding of their illnesses.  I did not raise my voice at all, but she obviously thought that by asking questions I was questioning her competence and she pretty much told the nurse to take me and my daughter out of her office.  

Luckily, my experience at private hospitals has not been the same and doctors seem much more willing to listen and reconsider treatments based on patient input/questions. 

If I am ever prescribed medicine, I always do research when I get back home before taking it. And on more than one occasion I have been prescribed medicine to which I have allergies/side effects and which were clearly listed in my hospital records. The doctors perhaps overlooked the allergy issue as they prescribed using the brand names, which were very different to the actual names of the medicines. Once it was caught by their pharmacy people but another time it was not. To me that in itself is inexcusable.  

On 6/26/2019 at 3:44 PM, lagavulin1 said:

You seem to be generating your own downward spiral. Might be time to visit the docs just to chat around with an expert. I was similar to you and also bipolar. Made my wife's life hell. 

Sorted out now. Nice young Psychiatrist dragged me back and I'm happy now. I have tablets but none of these opoids or addictive shit. Tablets are Serotonin reabsorption inhibitors. Keeps the happy hormone up. 

Give it some thought but good luck. 

Regards P. 

Mind saying what Serotonin inhibitors you use, and how long after taking did the benefits kick in?

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Mind saying what Serotonin inhibitors you use, and how long after taking did the benefits kick in?

Lexapro Escitalopram. 10mg.

1.5 per day at bedtime. 

I'm insured so I don't worry too much about the price but I've been told they are cheaper on the open market. 

1 minute ago, lagavulin1 said:

Lexapro Escitalopram. 10mg.

1.5 per day at bedtime. 

I'm insured so I don't worry too much about the price but I've been told they are cheaper on the open market. 

How long did you need to take before you felt the benefits and are there side effects?

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

How long did you need to take before you felt the benefits and are there side effects?

It was gradual for sure. Few weeks I guess. One day I realised that stuff was not bothering me anymore. 

I don’t have the antidote OP, but I think the Buddha might. Luckily for you the Buddha’s teachings are within easy reach in Thailand. It’s not the concepts of life and death that are faulty, only the way we perceive them.

Get a copy, or download one from the Kindle store, of ‘A Still Forest Pool’ written by Ajahn Chaa. Extremely powerful stuff.

I’m not pushing religion here, merely philosophy.

Good luck in your quest to make sense of it all, I hope you find happiness.

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:53 AM, rumak said:

Thank you.  I have now educated myself to some degree so that if I was in a situation where the doctor was going to prescribe the usual course of antibiotics and pain relievers that are given almost always .... I can be equipped with my own observations if they applied to possible meningitis. 

What is the first sign of meningitis?

Meningitis and septicaemia can kill in hours - know the symptoms. The first symptoms are usually fever, vomiting, headache and feeling unwell. Limb pain, pale skin, and cold hands and feet often appear earlier than the rash, neck stiffness, dislike of bright lights and confusion.

Sounds like a good night out in Nana Plaza.

But of course Dr Rumak, fever, vomiting, headache, feeling unwell. limb pain and cold hands and feet that can be attributed to numerous afflictions including stiff neck, joint pain and confusion are all you criterion for diagnosis.

By the time the rash appears you are pretty well stuffed.

You do know what causes the rash don't you? 

Goodbye fingers and toes.

In hours.

I'll go to a proper doctor thanks.

13 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Sounds like a good night out in Nana Plaza.

But of course Dr Rumak, fever, vomiting, headache, feeling unwell. limb pain and cold hands and feet that can be attributed to numerous afflictions including stiff neck, joint pain and confusion are all you criterion for diagnosis.

By the time the rash appears you are pretty well stuffed.

You do know what causes the rash don't you? 

Goodbye fingers and toes.

In hours.

I'll go to a proper doctor thanks.

i think most members understood that i was posting some basic information obtained from a google search.

Your RASH attempt at sarcasm is definitely the first signs of someone who has been on too many Nana excursions which might explain the emptypockets.   You might try Google sometime.  Feel free to ignore Dr Rumaks posts and by all means see a doctor.

Feb 22, 2018 - More than 250000 people in the US die every year because of medical ... there was a pooled incidence rate of 251,454 deaths per year — or ...

Apr 17, 2014 - A new study reveals that around 12 million people in the US are misdiagnosed in outpatient clinics each year - the equivalent to 1 in every 20 ...

...try doing something for others less well off than you.. that will put your situation in some perspective.  Find yourself a routine, something physical, something mental, something else with spice.  

Always towards victory...

There is no antedote, you simply have to accept that we are born, grow old and die. It really is as simple as that, and if you are having a problem grasping this fact, try doing more with your time that you have left.

7 minutes ago, geronimo said:

There is no antedote, you simply have to accept that we are born, grow old and die. It really is as simple as that, and if you are having a problem grasping this fact, try doing more with your time that you have left.

exactly, 'it is as it is' no amount of mind activity will change anything, accept the grace of inevitability, you can't fight what you can't change, there is only acceptance left.

On 7/9/2019 at 4:49 AM, bkk6060 said:

Just have to move on.

Golf

Sex

Good food

Enjoy all.

and if you live long enough that you can do none of the above except eat, you will have those wonderful memories to savour.

• 2 months later...

Has any one here who has come to realize that they like myself are on the final stretch managed to find an antidote that at least makes you feel better , less stressed out and more acceptable of the  approaching inevitable outcome.   If you have found an antidote could you please share it :thumbsup:

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Has any one here who has come to realize that they like myself are on the final stretch managed to find an antidote that at least makes you feel better , less stressed out and more acceptable of the  approaching inevitable outcome.   If you have found an antidote could you please share it 

Planning on moving to Thailand with my Thai wife of many years when retired in a few years. First thing is to take lessons in Thai. I want to translate eventually. Second is to join a TAI chi or Qi gong group, maybe in Lumpini Park to add to my health regimen. This especially good for the elderly. Once settled in, the trick of being able to translate might just be the thing that keeps the mind and spirit intact with the intelligent choice of literature for translation. What do you think?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, Marpa47 said:

Has any one here who has come to realize that they like myself are on the final stretch managed to find an antidote that at least makes you feel better , less stressed out and more acceptable of the  approaching inevitable outcome.   If you have found an antidote could you please share it :thumbsup:

Cannabis, it's not an antidote, but you no longer care about the problem.

Archived