Anyone experienced getting driving licence in Nong Khai

Brer

Just went to Nong Khai immigration office to get a certificate of residency to obtain my driving licence, they told me I had to go to the land office and apply for a licence and that the land office would give me a letter to bring back to immigration.

I spent one hour at the land office made copies of my passport, copy of reporting to immigration, copy of international licence, copy of Aussie licence, done a test identifying different colours on chart then got my letter and drove back to immigration to be told they could not issue a residency certificate unless I converted my O/A visa to a full retirement which would cost 1900 baht.

They even showed me someone else’s application on how easy it is and seeing I told them I had 800,000baht in a Thai bank for a long time they could do it promptly once I produced bank statement, medical certificate, bank book, some photos of me in the house etc.

Is this normal practice?

The office was manned by two women in uniform and two young girls who seemed quite helpful in giving advice but why send me to the land office when they full well knew I did not have a retirement visa only a one year O/A.

I think like Chaeng Wattana a retirement extension is not enough. As long you not have done a 90 day report they will not give you a certificate of residence.

Can you not go to your embassy and ask there for a residence certification. It's more expensive but that one should be enough for most to receive a driving licence. Easiest ask if this would be allowed! as sooner you have them you not have to think further for it (or at least for the next 2 years till renewal)

Just a real pain to travel to the big smoke, suppose I could do it in a day, the chances are they will then say they want it translated into Thai when I get back.

A friends wife from Thailand got her driving licence in Australia so easy without all the totally unnecessary paperwork, no wonder trees are disappearing in Thailand.

I know heaps of people who got a licence without this hassle however they live in Udon or Bueng Kan why is Nong Khai so difficult.

Archived