Bulging Disc

JimmyTheMook

As a disk sufferer, I had a l5 laminectomy in 1971 when I was 14.  Back felt fine, but for months my right leg hurt so much I could not touch my knee, cough or laugh or sneeze was torture.  Bone doctor was a Dr Bombay.  Finally went to the family doctor and he got close to the problem.  Saw a neurologist they did an old fashioned mylogram (die injected into the spine and and xrays.  No CAT scans or MRIs back then. The disk was herniated and was literally over by my kidney pressing on the sciatic nerve, ergo the pain.  They literally cut and sutured up the disk.  No disk fusion.  I went on to play every sport, was in the USAF and today at 62 no real problems.  There are many treatments for bulging disks.  I strongly suggest you start with the simpler remedies, watch your weight, watch your posture, work on straightening up your spine, how you sit, how long you sit, etc.   Much depends on which disk it is, Cervical, Lumbar, etc.  Get a complete and thorough diagnosis and evaluation.   Even disk surgery today is not necessarily a big deal as they do so much arthroscopically.  Even some anti inflammatory treatments can mediate things.  

In Pattaya:

Dr Suradet (orthopedic doctor) for first diagnosis

Dr Somroth (rehab department) for physical therapy

Dr Pisit (anesthesiologist) for epidural injection,  he is very good at this

All at Bangkok Pattaya hospital.  Dr Somroth also works at a clinic,  the days he is not in the hospital. 

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

As a disk sufferer, I had a l5 laminectomy in 1971 when I was 14.  Back felt fine, but for months my right leg hurt so much I could not touch my knee, cough or laugh or sneeze was torture.  Bone doctor was a Dr Bombay.  Finally went to the family doctor and he got close to the problem.  Saw a neurologist they did an old fashioned mylogram (die injected into the spine and and xrays.  No CAT scans or MRIs back then. The disk was herniated and was literally over by my kidney pressing on the sciatic nerve, ergo the pain.  They literally cut and sutured up the disk.  No disk fusion.  I went on to play every sport, was in the USAF and today at 62 no real problems.  There are many treatments for bulging disks.  I strongly suggest you start with the simpler remedies, watch your weight, watch your posture, work on straightening up your spine, how you sit, how long you sit, etc.   Much depends on which disk it is, Cervical, Lumbar, etc.  Get a complete and thorough diagnosis and evaluation.   Even disk surgery today is not necessarily a big deal as they do so much arthroscopically.  Even some anti inflammatory treatments can mediate things.  

Thank you all for the replies and especially the above.

I've suffered for some time (over a year) and have been thru physical therapy, anti inflammatory meds and the issue is ever present.

Will seek some of the doctors suggested here and see what they may suggest.

I'm active and that sets it off - if not active with playing sports the issue sort of becomes dormant.

I'm active and that sets it off - if not active with playing sports the issue sort of becomes dormant.

Consider changing sports, i stopped playing golf, now cycle a lot and my back is much stronger, probably a combination of both things

4 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

A Dr named Bombay you say

:sorry:

A great article except the name of the doc is  a bit dodgy 

3 hours ago, monkeycu said:

A Dr named Bombay you say

:sorry:

A great article except the name of the doc is  a bit dodgy 

His name was Scala and he lived around the corner from us and he was an orthopedic leg guy.  Had this happened today, would have been a huge lawsuit.  Anyway, the Dr. Bombay name of course was a tongue in cheek reference to the Bewitched TV show character, who also was Col Crittendon on Hogan's Heroes.  A fine British comedic actor

10 hours ago, JimmyTheMook said:

Any suggestions for a good doctor in Pattaya or even Bangkok?

Have you considered a good Chiro? personnally I steer well clear of regular Doctors for back problems, prefer Chiro or acupuncture.

Have you considered a good Chiro? personnally I steer well clear of regular Doctors for back problems, prefer Chiro or acupuncture.
I went to see a "good" Chiro in the UK, after 7 sessions of basically a click and hope methodology it didn't work at all, depends what's wrong with the back. My Physio/Osteopath helped with advice mainly

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I went to see a "good" Chiro in the UK, after 7 sessions of basically a click and hope methodology it didn't work at all

So you didn't go to see a "good" Chiro! ???? 

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:
15 minutes ago, CGW said:
So you didn't go to see a "good" Chiro! emoji20.png 

Are you a Chiro? I'd try it if payment was based on results

No - but I have had a lot of success with them, I have had back problems for 40 years, they keep me moving, I have seen a lot of different Chiro's in different countries, only about three total I would recommend, I saw a few in the UK, none of them were "good".

Archived