France's Mirazur crowned world's best restaurant, Denmark's Noma is No. 2, Thailand's Gaggan is No. 4

Jonathan Fairfield

France's Mirazur crowned world's best restaurant, Denmark's Noma is No. 2

Screen Shot 2562-06-26 at 08.17.14.png

Chef-owner of Mirazur restaurant Mauro Colagreco and his team react after receiving the award for Best Restaurant during the World's 50 Best Restaurants Awards at the Marina Bay Sands in Singapore, June 25, 2019. REUTERS/Feline Lim

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Mirazur, on the French Riviera, was crowned No.1 at the World’s 50 Best Restaurants awards ceremony held in Singapore on Tuesday, lauded for its fresh and seasonal cuisine.

The three-Michelin-starred restaurant in Menton climbed to the top from third last year, replacing Italy’s Osteria Francescana.

Mirazur’s menu, which includes dishes like salt-crusted beetroot from the garden with caviar cream, is inspired by the sea, the mountains and produce from its own gardens, which cascade over three levels.

Its Argentine-born chef Mauro Colagreco told Reuters he felt like he “was in the sky” after winning the award, which “showed the world when you have a dream all is possible”. He and his team accepted the prize carrying a banner that combined the flags of Argentina, France, Brazil and Italy.

Launched in 2002, the 50 Best list has grown in prominence to rival the long-established Michelin star system. The ceremony in Singapore is the first to be held in Asia.

After a change in the rules earlier this year, restaurants that previously topped the poll will no longer be eligible for the annual ranking. Past winners, including Osteria Francescana, joined a newly created “Best of the Best” category.

René Redzepi’s re-opened Noma in Copenhagen, Denmark, debuted on the 2019 list at No. 2. In its previous incarnation, Noma won the top title in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2014.

Spain dominated the top 10 list with three restaurants. Asador Etxebarri in Axpe was ranked No.3 for showing off simple ingredients by grilling them, while Mugaritz was seventh and Disfrutar came ninth.

Compiled by William Reed Business Media, the Best 50 list is based on the experiences of more than 1,000 restaurant industry experts around the world.

The only Asian restaurant in the top 10 was Gaggan in Bangkok, Thailand, at No. 4. Kolkata-born chef Gaggan Anand’s playful menu includes a curry dish that diners are encouraged to lick from the plate, while music by rock band Kiss plays in the background.

Another Copenhagen restaurant, Geranium, was fifth on the list, while Paris’s Arpège, where vegetables take center-stage, was No. 8.

Peru, which has emerged in recent years as a top culinary destination, featured twice in the top 10 — Lima’s Central remained sixth, while Japanese-Peruvian fusion outlet Maido, with its 50-hour-cooked beef short rib, was No. 10.

Reporting by Aradhana Aravindan; Editing by Catherine Evans

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-26

8 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Kolkata-born chef Gaggan Anand’s playful menu includes a curry dish that diners are encouraged to lick from the plate, while music by rock band Kiss plays in the background.

Sounds like a place I'd give a very wide berth !!

8 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

salt-crusted beetroot from the garden with caviar cream

That made my mouth water, but not in a good way.

I was curious to see how much salty beets costs at Mirazur's, so I went looking for a menu.  Of course their menus have no prices on them, which means I can't afford to eat there.  I did find a receipt for a dinner for two:

9.PNG.22d16905fdace0c150b2423ffe3b843e.PNG

$726 USD or about 22,300 THB.

Gaggan is great, if maybe not for everyone. Maybe too much "fusion".

The drawback is that it's a "thing" dining there, and the crowd maybe a tad pretentious.

Overall more of an experience, rather than a nice place to return to.

i've eaten once in one of those awarded restaurants in france,  the only thing worth remembering with pleasure was the excellent service. that's all! i didn't enjoy the food and  i still felt hungry when i left the restaurant yet i had just paid €190,00 for the dinner! unless you are very rich  and want people to know it, i don't see any reason to go and eat in those restaurants

4 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

i've eaten once in one of those awarded restaurants in france,  the only thing worth remembering with pleasure was the excellent service. that's all! i didn't enjoy the food and  i still felt hungry when i left the restaurant yet i had just paid €190,00 for the dinner! unless you are very rich  and want people to know it, i don't see any reason to go and eat in those restaurants

As Rumpole once said of someone "he is rich enough to be able to afford very small portions of food."

On 6/26/2019 at 10:45 AM, attrayant said:

That made my mouth water, but not in a good way.

I was curious to see how much salty beets costs at Mirazur's, so I went looking for a menu.  Of course their menus have no prices on them, which means I can't afford to eat there.  I did find a receipt for a dinner for two:

9.PNG.22d16905fdace0c150b2423ffe3b843e.PNG

$726 USD or about 22,300 THB.

Fresh plate? what was that for, sent back plate because it was dirty and get charged 6 euros for a clean one?

"Of course their menus have no prices on them" I have been to restaurants where it is customary to give the ladies menus without prices on them. 

Archived