UK PM contender Johnson challenges rival to commit to Oct. 31 Brexit date

Jonathan Fairfield

UK PM contender Johnson challenges rival to commit to Oct. 31 Brexit date

Screen Shot 2562-06-26 at 08.40.06.png

Boris Johnson, a leadership candidate for Britain's Conservative Party, visits a tea shop in Oxshott, Surrey, Britain, June 25, 2019. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls

LONDON (Reuters) - Boris Johnson, front-runner in the race to become British prime minister, has challenged his rival Jeremy Hunt to commit to leaving the European Union on Oct. 31, whether he has agreed a Brexit deal or not.

“For my part, I have been clear that, if I am elected leader, we will leave on 31 October with or without a deal,” he said in a letter to Hunt, which Johnson published on Twitter. “Will you join me in this commitment to leave on 31 October come what may?”

Hunt responded in a tweet: “Hi Boris, it’s good to talk. But no need for snail-mail, why not turn up to Sky tonight and I’ll give you full and frank answers?”

Johnson has refused to debate head-to-head with his rival in an event that had been due to take place on Tuesday evening. Debate host Sky News canceled the event on Monday after Johnson declined an invitation to appear.

Reporting by Paul Sandle; editing by Stephen Addison

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-26

Tory Leadership is a matter for the membership now, so why play out the issue in public? I'm sure the 160,000 members already know who they are voting for. We had better assume that it's another shot across the EU bows, that Boris will stand up to his commitment, while closet Remainer Hunt won't be the one to stick our Brexit to the EU.

Boris is committed to leaving on 31 Oct even without a deal. He has admitted he will require cooperation from the EU for some time after 31 Oct if he leaves with no deal. I think he means some sort of back stop.

6 hours ago, Loiner said:

Tory Leadership is a matter for the membership now, so why play out the issue in public? I'm sure the 160,000 members already know who they are voting for. We had better assume that it's another shot across the EU bows, that Boris will stand up to his commitment, while closet Remainer Hunt won't be the one to stick our Brexit to the EU.

If Boris is elected the leader and therefore PM by the 160k true blue Tories he can't do whatever he pleases.

The PM isn't the sovereign body, neither is the cabinet. It's parliament. And parliament has repeatedly said that it won't accept a no deal Brexit. Tory MP's are already openly talking about bringing down a Boris led government if necessary to avert a no deal Brexit.

May failed in her crafty plan to use the RP and this liar will do to.

6 hours ago, Loiner said:

You think the EU really take Boris seriously?

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

I reckon Boris has the brains and the drive to get Britain out by the end of October. With Hunt it will be kicking the can down the road again, and again, and again.....

Actually, it would be the lack of brains and the drive to get Britain out by the end of October.

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

If Boris is elected the leader and therefore PM by the 160k true blue Tories he can't do whatever he pleases.

The PM isn't the sovereign body, neither is the cabinet. It's parliament. And parliament has repeatedly said that it won't accept a no deal Brexit. Tory MP's are already openly talking about bringing down a Boris led government if necessary to avert a no deal Brexit.

May failed in her crafty plan to use the RP and this liar will do to.

Quite. The brexit tories have effectively cut their own throat. They thought they were clever with these ideas on how to stop parliament having any say on the no deal fiasco.

What they didn't bargain on was the turkeys voting for Christmas, some tory MPs see losing their seat and a Labour government as a price worth paying.

Bit ironic NoNo Deal means NoNo Deal, whatever the cost.

7 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

I reckon Boris has the brains and the drive to get Britain out by the end of October. With Hunt it will be kicking the can down the road again, and again, and again.....

Fair enough, but a tall order. Johnson will look after Johnson as he always will. If that means kicking that there can down the road if it suits him, he will do so. 

He cares nothing about the issues, only himself. His wives and former employers will attest to that:

16 hours ago, puipuitom said:

whahahaha

The irony is that we don't want the EU to negotiate any more. As in your cartoon, sit there say nothing and Boris can take us through the door marked Brexit, No Deal.
Happy to discuss real trade terms without the shackles of your Surrender Treaty.

10 hours ago, baboon said:

Fair enough, but a tall order. Johnson will look after Johnson as he always will. If that means kicking that there can down the road if it suits him, he will do so. 

He cares nothing about the issues, only himself. His wives and former employers will attest to that:

I agree with your first para.

On 6/26/2019 at 4:40 AM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Boris Johnson, front-runner in the race to become British prime minister, has challenged his rival Jeremy Hunt to commit to leaving the European Union on Oct. 31, whether he has agreed a Brexit deal or not.

Why didn’t you offer to discuss the issue on the proposed sky televised debate?

hunt was up for it. 

Hair and brain of the LOGB (Liar of Great Britain) Johnson have one thing in common: being tousled. Easily to explain.

The biggest and unsolved Brexit problem is the backstop under a no-deal exit. That means - concisely said – customs between the 2 Irish states. And Johnson wants to solve this problem …. after leaving the EU = after Oktober 31  ????.  Incredible, but true.  Already May hasn't been successful. A typical (Johnson) swagger. Now idea at now to solve the problem and delaying it.

That confirms what a said in my first paragraph.

On 6/26/2019 at 3:22 PM, Loiner said:

I don't really care what the EU think. We'll only have them another four months.

Yeah good time to go now with Italy causing EU trouble hope others follow suit and let doomed club collapse.

I wonder when Germany will say enough is enough themselves. 

5 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Why didn’t you offer to discuss the issue on the proposed sky televised debate?

hunt was up for it. 

Because it would be pie in the sky, Boris just wanted an answer to the question he put to him.

Hunt won't commit to it. He's just talking tough to try and get the job and then he'll delay delay delay just like May did.

He's a Remainer. He will lose the leadership contest just as he lost the referendum.  

26 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Because it would be pie in the sky, Boris just wanted an answer to the question he put to him.

But was too scared to ask it to his face or answer other questions in a televised debate...

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

But was too scared to ask it to his face or answer other questions in a televised debate...

Poppycock.

Curiously Hunt hasn't yet replied to a proposal put to him yesterday but as yet no such moronic gibberish has materialized in his direction.

11 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Poppycock.

Curiously Hunt hasn't yet replied to a proposal put to him yesterday but as yet no such moronic gibberish has materialized in his direction.

From the op

“Hunt responded in a tweet: “Hi Boris, it’s good to talk. But no need for snail-mail, why not turn up to Sky tonight and I’ll give you full and frank answers?”

17 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

From the op

“Hunt responded in a tweet: “Hi Boris, it’s good to talk. But no need for snail-mail, why not turn up to Sky tonight and I’ll give you full and frank answers?”

lol it's been a long day, but the point stands re the constant sniping re 'Cowardice', 'Running Scared' etc which doesn't seem to be happening in the other direction and is frankly idiotic & you seem to be among the cheerleaders.

As I have pointed out elsewhere BJ will likely have a full itinerary until 22 July and is highly unlikely to be able to drop everything simply to suit his opponent & a remain-friendly channel offering to fit him up.

Johnson's public persona is that of a buffoon but he's nowhere near as daft as he'd have Joe Public believe.

4 minutes ago, evadgib said:

lol it's been a long day, but the point stands re the constant sniping re 'Cowardice', 'Running Scared' etc which doesn't seem to be happening in the other direction and is frankly idiotic & you seem to be among the cheerleaders.

As I have pointed out elsewhere BJ will likely have a full itinerary until 22 July and is highly unlikely to be able to drop everything simply to suit his opponent & a remain-friendly channel offering to fit him up.

Put up a link to the story you are trying to introduce into this thread and I will pour an equal measure of contempt on hunt. 

I have no illusions as to what he is. 

Still won’t change what johnson is though. 

28 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Put up a link to the story you are trying to introduce into this thread and I will pour an equal measure of contempt on hunt. 

I have no illusions as to what he is. 

Still won’t change what johnson is though. 

A school prefect that caught someone behind the bike sheds having a fag ????

(I won't bother uploading a link as it's highly likely the same story but I have only just realised it)

Edit: Hunts constituency won't like this very much, not least cos Armed Forces day is just 2 days away:

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

A school prefect that caught someone behind the bike sheds having a fag ????

(I won't bother uploading a link as it's highly likely the same story but I have only just realised it)

Edit: Hunts constituency won't like this very much, not least cos Armed Forces day is just 2 days away:

I agree that those accused of acts of terror on all sides, including the british army, should be treated equally under the law. 

I look forward to seeing how hunt answers questions on this in debate. 

And johnson of course.  

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Well I would not debate with Hunt either he should change his H for a C because most people in the NHS in UK think that is what he is and a useless one too.

Archived