TAT chief blames high baht and lack of Europeans for drop in Thai tourism

Jonathan Fairfield

TAT chief blames high baht and lack of Europeans for drop in Thai tourism

san1.png

Tourists in Thailand - file photo

The head of the Tourism Authority of Thailand has blamed the high value of the Thai baht for worse than expected tourist figures in the country. 

He has admitted that European visitors are being more careful over their money and that Thailand is looking to places like India to sustain growth.

And the Thai media has spoken of Brexit and US trade wars as contributing factors too. 

TAT chief Yuthasak Suphasorn was speaking to Daily News as figures showed that tourist arrivals in the first half of the year were 20 million that was less than expected. 

Though spending was 1,000 billion baht by foreign visitors and 560 billion domestically this was considered acceptable because of the current global economic outlook.

Yuthasak said that European tour companies had raised their prices anywhere between 10 and 20% meaning that many Europeans were looking to travel elsewhere for value. 

And he admitted that those who are coming to Thailand are being more careful about their spending as they are receiving less baht for their money. 

It was the first time that anyone at the TAT had mentioned the Thai baht was having such a big effect on the tourism industry. 

Daily News mentioned Brexit and the US trade wars with countries such as China as responsible for affecting Thai tourism negatively. 

Still Yuthasak said that even though there were less Europeans coming that shortfall would be made up by turning to India, South Asia in general and ASEAN countries.

The outlook remained positive in the future, he said, expecting tourism to generate 3,400 billion baht this year with 40-45 million visitors expected in 2019. This would compare favorably to 38.5 million last year.

He said that the current low season lull was normal - things would pick up in October when high season comes. 

He pointed to an increase of 5% in visits to secondary Thai cities as a good sign. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-26

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

at last someone is telling the truth, (until next week that is) when it will be *oh bugger, i need to safeguard my job* Thailand is booming, we are overrun with tourists, all of us who live  here only have to look around, even last christmas and new year, it was the quietest i have seen for many a long year.

I do not see the relationship between the brexit and the overvaluation of the Thai baht, but if the head of the TAT sees one ... ....:cheesy:

Contrary to the information issued by the newspapers "to orders", do not forget that they belong for the most part to billionaires who have made their "mistress" .. Brexit will certainly be a great moment in Britain;the pound will probably fall in the first weeks or even months to rise again and cock a snook to the euro and the US dollar.

15 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

It was the first time that anyone at the TAT had mentioned the Thai baht was having such a big effect on the tourism industry. 

Finally someone admitting what we all know .

Wait ..................... What  ????

Hey why not tone down the anti western (farang) bias in the media, improve safety, work on stopping the blatant scams, and hey I am going to say it ................................. 

Actively Encourage Western Euro Tourism. ????????????

I'll shut up now, it was just a wild idea.

14 minutes ago, BestB said:

Well that’s in total contradiction to our Thai visa experts who claim Chinese outspend Europeans. 

Would appear Chinese spending does not make up for loss of European money . 

I believe the Chinese make up 25% of Thai tourism.  Last I read.  Maybe a little more this year.  

Recent worldwide reports of Thailands cities leading the list of most the dangerously polluted had no effect of course. Chiang Mai's burning forests, Chiang Rai and Mae Hong Song cancelling flights wouldn't have induced people to cancel their trips would it? Where are these people living? I know:  Ivory Towers.

6 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I believe the Chinese make up 25% of Thai tourism.  Last I read.  Maybe a little more this year.  

Thailand has opened the Pandora's box with the Chinese;
I fear that they will soon have to cry all their tears when we see what is happening in Cambodia which is literally invaded, submerged by the Chinese;
everything is now for them; everything is written in Chinese.
Europeans who had found a haven of peace are asked to go elsewhere.

Wake up Somchai there's a Big wide world outside of Thailand, over the years Thai's have never stopped complaining about someone, long time ago Europeans you dont like, English you dont like then the Russians you hate them, then Chinese you dont stop calling them pigs animals ignorant What next? Indians smell.

To me the Chinese dont look like return visitors and only stay 2 or 3 days

Fascinating people. 

They do their best to repel Farangs, claiming every opportunity that Chinese are the only market worth worrying over. 

Then, the very next day, begging for Farang to come back. 

LOS Land Of Schizophrenia 

Or maybe that now, there're more don't do than do when it comes to tourists, what with all the penalties, police presents everywhere, immigration madness if you want to extend your stay or come back sooner than what they allow you to... Maybe... 

Why just name Europeans?, What about Americans Australian's New Zealanders Canadian ect, All not coming in equal numbers and going to other Asian countries instead.

But,....but I thought nothing effects Teflon Thailand,thats been

the story from TAT, for years,and now they admit this,things

must be quite serious....must be,they are now looking for new

quality tourists from N.Africa .

regards Worgeordie

Just now, nev said:

Why just name Europeans?, What about Americans Australian's New Zealanders Canadian ect, All not coming in equal numbers and going to other Asian countries instead.

They likely meant Europeans as White people or Farangs. They were trying to do better than Farangs, but still don't understand that White people come from many distinct countries. 

It's progress... 

3 minutes ago, nev said:

We are all the same , ie farangs. Perhaps using term westerners would have been more appropriate 

I think the exchange rate is certainly a big factor. I'm shocked by the value of the Pound Sterling and Aussie dollar lately, scared the US dollar will follow suit. Prices have certainly gone up at hotels, restaurants, tours. The Chinese do spend big here at restaurants and shopping. They're attractive because they come here year round, not just in high season. It may be true that they will seek new places and not be return visitors, but there are so many of them and Thailand is so accessible to them that they should be a viable resource at least for a few more years. I don't see Indians picking up the slack, and out of kindness I'll keep my reasons to myself.

1 minute ago, nickstav said:

I think the exchange rate is certainly a big factor. I'm shocked by the value of the Pound Sterling and Aussie dollar lately, scared the US dollar will follow suit. Prices have certainly gone up at hotels, restaurants, tours. The Chinese do spend big here at restaurants and shopping. They're attractive because they come here year round, not just in high season. It may be true that they will seek new places and not be return visitors, but there are so many of them and Thailand is so accessible to them that they should be a viable resource at least for a few more years. I don't see Indians picking up the slack, and out of kindness I'll keep my reasons to myself.

Prices gone up in hotels? Really? 4-5 star hotels for 1200 baht is price going up ?????

In the present climate the best strategy, would be to make the visa situation easier for the long stay tourists / winter travelers etc. However that would take logic ........

Northern Europeans seem to be heading to Portugal and Croatia. Both seem popular at the moment. it is hard to,pull the genuine tourist here due to the economy , however it is easier to facilitate the return visitor and long stay tourist.

25 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Wake up Somchai there's a Big wide world outside of Thailand, over the years Thai's have never stopped complaining about someone, long time ago Europeans you dont like, English you dont like then the Russians you hate them, then Chinese you dont stop calling them pigs animals ignorant What next? Indians smell.

To me the Chinese dont look like return visitors and only stay 2 or 3 days

Wake up Chip Butty.  Average Chinese length of stay 8.08 days. Average spend Chinese $192, Europe $125.

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourism-income-Thailand.asp

Westerners are slowly being priced out of Thailand. Falling European currencies are mostly to blame. 

Also, looks like the 3 categories of Westerners who visit Thailand, sexpats, low income foreigners, and lonely and sick old men looking to hire care of them, are no longer welcome in LOS.

15 minutes ago, BestB said:

Prices gone up in hotels? Really? 4-5 star hotels for 1200 baht is price going up ?????

The prices have gone down look on any OTA sites I was looking the other day and going through their calender's lots showing no bookings 

13 minutes ago, BestB said:

That's certainly true for some of them, can get a 4-5 even cheaper sometime. The beachfront and really top end ones can be considerably more. By comparison, I stayed in a fabulous hotel in Cambodia, with one of the best breakfast buffets I've ever had free, for under 1000 baht per. 

1 minute ago, nickstav said:

That's certainly true for some of them, can get a 4-5 even cheaper sometime. The beachfront and really top end ones can be considerably more. By comparison, I stayed in a fabulous hotel in Cambodia, with one of the best breakfast buffets I've ever had free, for under 1000 baht per. 

Should try Kenya but that has little to do with original statement that hotel prices gone up in Thailand 

Archived