USA banking and credit cards

On 6/26/2019 at 8:56 AM, Sheryl said:

Ditto, I have 2 US credit cards and my Thai address is on file with both, no problem. I even get my statements buy mail here in Thailand.  Ditto my US bank account.

I am not really clear why you want to maintain a US address? 

If your address with the CC company is in the US then you will probably need to do a "travel notification" to avoid them flagging Thai charges as potential fraud. Most major credit cards let you do this online.

While it may be that you haven't had a problem so far with your US credit card issuers' knowing that your physical address is in Thailand, that may change.  After the next revision of the Patriot Act following the next 9/11 incident, for example.  At any time the issuers may decide to rescind cards held by expats for which your address history will incriminate you.

Might not happen, but why take the chance?  I think it is better to use a US mail forwarding address in the hopes of ducking the next expat purge whenever that may be.

If we are in this for the long haul we have to anticipate future changes as much as possible.  Some brokerage firms, such as Fidelity, turned a blind eye to expat-owned accounts for a long time and then suddenly changed their minds and closed them down.  

I have never notified any card issuer of any travel plan including Thailand.  They have never complained.  I think that practice has gone away as international travel has increased.

On 6/28/2019 at 9:13 PM, riclag said:

I'm in the states preparing to come back .Maybe I spoke to soon! I tried to add another  outside bank to link with Capitalone banking.I was under the impression Cap1 sent codes to verify who you are through email,sad,they stopped doing that,sad. I have a google voice number,it won't recognize voip numbers! I had to call customer service they attempted to send a code through google voice several times,the txt code comes through but disappears in two seconds(new security measure with 5 digit codes by banks). They switched me over to either a MGR or the fraud dept. He sent a email with a link for me to take a picture of my passport using my phone and uploading it to him. Presto I'm verified.

I started asking questions about doing  future transactions online while out of the country. He tells me I would have to go through 2 way verification and that was the only way.I have to call back tomorrow to get a second persons answer! If that is the case ,how the hell can one fund their account!

I spoke to another person in the security dept of Cap1 .He assured me that I will be able to carry on as usual in Thailand  as long as I have a Internet connection! They have  a difficult time verifying me right here in the states.

On 6/26/2019 at 5:43 AM, Pib said:

You may know, but your Cap1 Mastercard debit card allows $5K per day/transaction "at the counter."  Another $1K at an ATM.   I use the Cap1 debit card for counter withdrawals....periodically I withdraw $150K (approx $4700) at the counter and have it directly deposited to my Thai bank account.  Absolutely zero fees on both ends....full MC exchange rate...money immediately in my bank account....beats any money transfer service such as Transferwise/SWIFT/ACH for most baht at the least cost and definitely the fastest.

Thanks, this looks very interesting. I was looking into another internet bank since I don't need B&M bank such as my BOA with their high fees.

I was looking into NFCU, SDFCU, USAA and PenFed. I currently have Ally, Schwab and BOA. Any other bank or CU do you recommend?

I love and use NFCU, i get rebated ATM fees with my active duty checking.  When i send wires it takes two hours to hit my kasikorn bank and the fee is 25.00 USD.  I have never had a single problem using my debit or credit cards anywhere here in thailand.  Anytime i need to talk to them, i hit them up on facebook and they call my thai cell phone. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 9:38 PM, gt162 said:

Thanks, this looks very interesting. I was looking into another internet bank since I don't need B&M bank such as my BOA with their high fees.

I was looking into NFCU, SDFCU, USAA and PenFed. I currently have Ally, Schwab and BOA. Any other bank or CU do you recommend?

How is Schwab working out for you ,does voice recognition satisfy their security gods ? Have you ever had problems verifying yourself?

NFCU is great.  No hassles, no foreign transaction fee, no cash advance fee (but they do charge interest) and I get pennies back on every dollar I spend.  I pay it off at the end of every billing period.  I' m careful to never charge in dollars and get suckered by the proprietary rates of stores, restaurants, etc.  I use Fidelity for my monthly 65,000 transfer.  It will cost me $30 a month until I get the medallion signature for my cash management account back in the US later this month.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:18 PM, jimmyyy said:

I love and use NFCU, i get rebated ATM fees with my active duty checking.  When i send wires it takes two hours to hit my kasikorn bank and the fee is 25.00 USD.  I have never had a single problem using my debit or credit cards anywhere here in thailand.  Anytime i need to talk to them, i hit them up on facebook and they call my thai cell phone. 

Can wire transfers be done  completely on-line with NFCU?  

Can an account be set-up on-line while outside the US?

I'm trying to establish worry free access to my Schwab account with Internet banking and fee access to ATM machines while living in Thailand on a yearly marriage extension.

I just recently bought a cheap phone in the states and joined a phone network(Ting)  that gives me a USA #,It charges $6 a month to join. I don't use data and I don't plan on calling the US on it. The best part is Txt messages to Thailand from the USA are free but the Ting guy said, the USA has to include a 1 in front of the area code.

My plan was to satisfy these banks who insist to send txt codes to verify their clients through txt message as opposed to codes being sent through  email . If I could get away with it I prefer not giving them permission to send me txt messages period. They give  a security token  device (2 tier verification ) when you open a account,I have push notices shut off and txt on. They allow  some alerts through email such as atm withdrawals, online purchases and  POS purchases.

Besides the fact that I'll be wasting $72 a year, does  this sound good that I left receiving txt on anyway when the phone is on ? Oh , forgot to mention ,I do have another phone that I use In Thailand with a Thai sim card. I use that locally 

Edited by riclag

• 9 months later...

I'm about to change the mailing address for my Aviator AAdvantage Credit Card issued by Barclaycard US. from my USA mailing address to my address here in Thailand,using online access . I don't even know if I can do this because their online form only allows for a USA state! 

It expires in August  and they will only send it to the address on file ! They issue new cards in June

I tried to look at their membership policy ,if they allow for a foreign mailing address  but couldn't find anything !

I'm very cautious of causing suspicious activity that might put up red flags which could possibly block my access! I don't need any drama  during covid!

Anybody's thoughts?

Please be serious !

Edited by riclag

19 hours ago, riclag said:

I'm about to change the mailing address for my Aviator AAdvantage Credit Card issued by Barclaycard US. from my USA mailing address to my address here in Thailand,using online access . I don't even know if I can do this because their online form only allows for a USA state! 

It expires in August  and they will only send it to the address on file ! They issue new cards in June

I tried to look at their membership policy ,if they allow for a foreign mailing address  but couldn't find anything !

I'm very cautious of causing suspicious activity that might put up red flags which could possibly block my access! I don't need any drama  during covid!

Anybody's thoughts?

Please be serious !

Ok, I called CS and they said they would send it to my Thai address, in June !

Edited by riclag

I have a Capital One credit card obtained in the US prior to coming to Thailand and I put a travel alert on it over 5 years ago,  and have never removed it  

I leave it here when I leave for the summer and my girlfriend uses it for gas and certain groceries and so far they have never said a word, so long as I pay my bill every month via my online US bank, since it is swiped no one has ever checked the back for signature,  which I have left blank  

3 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

I have a Capital One credit card obtained in the US prior to coming to Thailand and I put a travel alert on it over 5 years ago,  and have never removed it  

I leave it here when I leave for the summer and my girlfriend uses it for gas and certain groceries and so far they have never said a word, so long as I pay my bill every month via my online US bank, since it is swiped no one has ever checked the back for signature,  which I have left blank  

You no longer need to set a travel notification with Cap1 credit cards....in fact, when you go to the Set Travel Notification selection, click it, you then get this pop-up notice.

image.png.a8ea3c619b59720ba9b901ee0dc3816c.png

• Like 1