Buying condo with thai translated name

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to buy an old condo (resale) but the owner wants to put my name in thai on all the documents and says it is mandatory. But there is no official translation for names, also my name is french and is not pronounced the same way in english... So if it's translated from french to thai, it'll be different from english to thai.

Also if the name is in thai, how can I proove it is me? I don't have any ID document with a thai name.

So how can I do?

The owner doesn't want to put my name in English alphabet and also says she can't.

Is it normal?

I had my passport and my driver's licence translated in my embassy (Swiss of course) and used THIS translation for all subsequent tasks, i.e. pink ID card, yellow book etc.

Yes, Thai offices - business office, land department etc - will only register contracts for ownership changes, if they are in dual language, mostly Thai / English.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The seller is correct in your name will be in Thai on the chanote. Whatever your name is on your passport will be translated by land office.

In the absence of an official MFA certified translation of your name, it will be as the land office translates it.

If later you get married or apply for a yellow book you will need an official MFA certified translation of your name into Thai, and it may end up being slightly different to the land office translation. Thats what happened to me, I bought a condo then later got married, then realised the translations were not the same. I was able to update the chanote at the land office with the official translation later, a 5 minute process.

I imagine discrepancies in translation happen from time to time but I doubt you would end up in a situation where the land office would question your identity based on a difference in translation, they did the translation.

Thanks for your answers.

But the owner asks me a thai name to make a contract before going to the land office.

Should I translate my name from french pronunciation to thai, or from english pronunciation to thai?

Or can I ask the owner to put my (english alphabet) name on the contract then Land office will translate it on the official documents?

Swiss1960, the owner doesn't ask dual language, she wants thai name only... She even asked me if I could find a thai person to put his/her name instead of mine.
Do I understand correctly? Contract will be only in Thai? And current owner suggests to put some Thai person in the contract - such a person of course then be registered as owner of the condo... did you do due diligence, is the condo in the 49% foreign quota?

Reading what you wrote, I recommend... WALK OR BETTER RUN AWAY FROM THAT DEAL!!!!!

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

She is not really clear, I don't mind if the contract is only in thai, my friend can translate, but she's clear about she wants my name in Thai only... As you guys said here, I told her she can use my english name for the contract then Department Land will translate it on the official documents. Seems she doesn't understand and strongly put in her mind she "needs" only my (or a) thai name.

I already transferred the money to my thai bank account but the bank won't give me the FET form if I don't have a contract (with the owner) with my english name (as stated on my bank account). They both are making it so complicated, lot of headaches.

1 hour ago, janemi said:

Thanks for your answers.

But the owner asks me a thai name to make a contract before going to the land office.

Should I translate my name from french pronunciation to thai, or from english pronunciation to thai?

Or can I ask the owner to put my (english alphabet) name on the contract then Land office will translate it on the official documents?

There is no requirement to present any contract to the land office, buyer and seller go together, buyer has fet and a cashiers cheque, seller has condo office letter etc. The only contract would be if a deposit was paid etc, but thats not much to do with the land office.

The contract is that you are both there for the sale. I have purchased 3 condos and never signed a contract for any of them.

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

There is no requirement to present any contract to the land office, buyer and seller go together, buyer has fet and a cashiers cheque, seller has condo office letter etc. The only contract would be if a deposit was paid etc, but thats not much to do with the land office.

The contract is that you are both there for the sale. I have purchased 3 condos and never signed a contract for any of them.

My bank, Bangkok bank, asks me a contract else they won't give me the documents I need from them. I'm pretty sure I don't need the contract but they didn't want give me the FET Form or letter without a contract...

5 hours ago, janemi said:

My bank, Bangkok bank, asks me a contract else they won't give me the documents I need from them. I'm pretty sure I don't need the contract but they didn't want give me the FET Form or letter without a contract...

Your bank should provide you with this without any other documentation as you are entitled to it.

The FET form just shows that forex was imported to your account and exchanged to THB within Thailand. It may also indicate the purpose of the transfer, but that is merely a declared purpose and is not binding.

But you haven't answered the most important question of all: are you sure that this sale would not put the building farang quota above 49%? Do you have the ratio document from the Juristic Person Manager confirming this?

You would simply not believe the property scams that are sometimes attempted here. Dont become a victim.

I'm waiting the document, the owner is really hard to reach... She told me 2 weeks ago she asked for this document and will send it to me, still waiting. I'm pretty sure the quota is good anyway, it's an old thai building with like 99% thai residents. And anyway I'll not give any cents if I don't have all the legal documents!

I went to the bank again today, they told me again I need a contract showing I'm buying the condo.

They called the owner and told her that she can put my english name on the contract, the owner doesn't want so they gave a "translation" of my name in thai... It's so stupid because my name is not pronounced in french or english, and it can be in english in the contract, but the owner didn't even listen the bank, so I don't have choice.

On 6/26/2019 at 9:16 AM, janemi said:

'm trying to buy an old condo (resale) but the owner wants to put my name in thai on all the documents and says it is mandatory.

No contract with the owner is required.

You go along to the land office with the owner, money and your FET.

Everything is done by the land office, or not if there is no foreign quota left.

No documents from you are required by the current owner.

Archived