Police chief transferred for allowing prostitution in Pattaya, foreign bar owners deported and blacklisted

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:38 PM, z42 said:

Where to even begin with this. Probably the most pathetic part is that trusty "damaged Pattaya and Thailand's reputation" line.

Unless they're shutting down the 1000 plus other bars and gogos in Pattaya I am not buying whatever reasoning they give.

What a complete $#it show as usual ????

IMO it's the "foreign owners" that is at the root of this farce. Only Thais should be allowed to run bars offering prostitution.

Over decades, I've watched the circus go on, but it seems to have entered a dark place recently.

Could it be because most of the best lookers go on line now, instead of shuffling around a pole for hours every night, and the bars are losing customers at a great rate of knots?

On 6/30/2019 at 8:16 AM, petemoss said:

I did. Not my fault that you didn't understand it or, more likeley, didn't fit in with your absurd urban myth.

Peter, let me spell it out for you; the question was 'where did you get your information from regarding ownership of bars?'  I got mine from frequenting soi 6 twice a week for ten years.  Again tell me where you got your urban myth from.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO it's the "foreign owners" that is at the root of this farce. Only Thais should be allowed to run bars offering prostitution.

Over decades, I've watched the circus go on, but it seems to have entered a dark place recently.

Could it be because most of the best lookers go on line now, instead of shuffling around a pole for hours every night, and the bars are losing customers at a great rate of knots?

Undoubtedly TF and similar apps have had a part to play in the decline in quality. It's not the only reason though. TF itself has also suffered from a decline in quality. Young Thai women have more job opportunities than in the past and there is a definite trend for Thai women in general to become fatties. Also, bar work is relatively less lucrative than in the past, as customers decline and salaries for non P for P work increases.

8 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Peter, let me spell it out for you; the question was 'where did you get your information from regarding ownership of bars?'  I got mine from frequenting soi 6 twice a week for ten years.  Again tell me where you got your urban myth from.

The Flower seller and the Greek kebab seller.

On 6/26/2019 at 2:30 AM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Police chief transferred for allowing prostitution in Pattaya

All well and good, but did they retrieve the contents of the brown envelopes he have received?

On 6/28/2019 at 7:14 PM, petemoss said:

I think you are missing my point. If the deed doesn't take place on the premises then no prostitution takes place in the bar/gogo. No on site rooms in Walking Street but most bars on Soi 6 have them.

ok thats an interesting technicality I had not considered - LOS - certainly doesnt stand for Land of Clear Statistics.

On 6/28/2019 at 12:10 PM, Jimbo2014 said:

Thanks Pete - I do - having been here about 25 years and being able to read, see and hear.  However as any local will tell you the term 'illegal' and 'enforced' dont really align well - particularly when police are often shareholders in businesses promoting the practice.  Walking street has freelancers active in many of the clubs and bars, and it has gogo bars with bar fines.  Soi 6 - yes no attempt to hide it there - a one legged 90 year old with a colostomy bag could find love there with sufficient baht in the pocket.  However dont take my word for it - read the reviews.... and keyword search "Bar Fine"..  https://www.thailandredcat.com/top-6-best-go-go-bars-in-pattaya/

Redcat is frequently innacurate even referencing places that have been demolished.  But there are other sites dedicated to P4P in Pattaya.  I know the best Go Gos in Pattaya and they are not on the red cat list.

4 hours ago, petemoss said:

Undoubtedly TF and similar apps have had a part to play in the decline in quality. It's not the only reason though. TF itself has also suffered from a decline in quality. Young Thai women have more job opportunities than in the past and there is a definite trend for Thai women in general to become fatties. Also, bar work is relatively less lucrative than in the past, as customers decline and salaries for non P for P work increases.

Well run Go Gos still thrive. New ones are being open all the time. High bar fines kill go go bars. 

5 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Well run Go Gos still thrive. New ones are being open all the time. High bar fines kill go go bars. 

Indeed, although I tend to disagree that high barfines are always detrimental to the bar.  If the quality of the girls is good and the price of drinks & ladydrinks is reasonable, the bar will thrive.  High barfines might put some people off, but they also keep the best looking girls in the bar earning drinks.  Sapphire on soi 15 has it about right.

2 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Redcat is frequently innacurate even referencing places that have been demolished.  But there are other sites dedicated to P4P in Pattaya.  I know the best Go Gos in Pattaya and they are not on the red cat list.

I think its about Nuances.  Some punters claim that if the bar fine is paid at location A but hmmhmmm occurs at location B then location A is free from prostitution. Not sure this is a universally agreed standard ????

I think its about Nuances.  Some punters claim that if the bar fine is paid at location A but hmmhmmm occurs at location B then location A is free from prostitution. Not sure this is a universally agreed standard [emoji1]
Maybe not universally, but that's how it is considered under Thai law. Take a look at The Entertainment Places Act that regulates gogos and massage places. It even stipulates that service providers must wear numbers!

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I always felt it was more the drink prices and the sometimes underhand ways employed to get more money out of you. Some GGBs are aimed at the quick barfiners but I always felt they were immune to the high price. 

14 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Maybe not universally, but that's how it is considered under Thai law. Take a look at The Entertainment Places Act that regulates gogos and massage places. It even stipulates that service providers must wear numbers!

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I was curious about reading more so I followed up on it.  The entertainment places act to some extent contradicts the prostitution act and both are intentionally ambiguous and generally enforced poorly, the reason given seems to be that neither law was wanted in Thailand but American influence pressed for both.  The only law that seems to be enforced with enthusiasm and rightfully so is the law protecting minors.  In other words GoGo bars well violate the law on prostitution under its ambiguous definition in Thailand - but are vaguely protected under the Entertainment Places Act which was tacked on to protect the owners of the bars.  Sadly there are few elements in either law to protect the sex workers themselves - legalising prostitution and properly authorizing establishments as venues would allow for much greater protection of the girls as it has in Australia and other countries where this has taken place

I don't even know where to start with this. It falls apart wherever you touch.

better leave it alone as it's a waste of time to analyze this.

Instead I will say this:

Lion asks camel why his neck is all crooked.

Camel sighs and replies: Do you see a part of me that isn't !?!

51 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

The only law that seems to be enforced with enthusiasm and rightfully so is the law protecting minors

Let alone enforcing it, are you sure Thais give a flying duck about minors working as sex workers?is that why most of them work in provinces from their early or mid-teens to 18 and when they become "too-old" as they turn 18, they head to Bkk and Pats bars.

The only reason they pretend to enforce, ok ok! the reason they do enforce it in Pats is the international pressure.

22 hours ago, pattayadude said:

Let alone enforcing it, are you sure Thais give a flying duck about minors working as sex workers?is that why most of them work in provinces from their early or mid-teens to 18 and when they become "too-old" as they turn 18, they head to Bkk and Pats bars.

The only reason they pretend to enforce, ok ok! the reason they do enforce it in Pats is the international pressure.

Yes international pressure agreed. 

Archived