BANGKOK 20 July 2019 14:39
Briggsy

Border bounce with denial of entry stamp

"Computer records are not as available, accessible and complete as some posters here make out"

I've often wondered about this, how (if at all) is a denial of entry logged into their system? We know they have several different databases; maybe a denial of entry won't be shown in the list of latest entries that a front line IO gets to see? It would obviously make sense to show it there, but then again, sense is in short supply in the officialdom.

Interesting report.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Ever thought about getting PR, you've been here a long time.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Briggsy said:

The immigration officer inevitably saw my denial of entry at Bangkok followed by an entry stamp at Nong Khai.

He and his colleagues were mystified as to why I was denied entry with a valid visa 2 months before. They were equally confused as to the written reason on the stamp "ไม่มีปัจจัยยังชีพ" - no means of supporting himself. They had no record on their computer.

So, they passed me up the chain to the lieutenant (?) who asked why I was denied entry at Bangkok (Suwannaphum). I told him what Immigration had told me. That is "I had spent more than 6 months in one year in Thailand [on tourist visas]". The lieutenant was even more confused and turned to the colonel (?) and asked, "Is that a law?" The colonel said, "Do you mean 6 entries?" The lieutenant confirmed, "No, 6 months."

I was passed up the chain to the colonel who was also at a loss to understand Bangkok's actions. The colonel eventually said, "Well he has a visa. Stand there while we take your photo," and he stamped me in. He also strongly advised me (3 times!) to get a new passport and then I wouldn't have any further problems.

Very amusing account, and speaks volumes about what seems to be going on at immigration in 2019.

Posted (edited)

The lieutenant was even more confused and turned to the colonel (?) and asked, "Is that a law?" The colonel said, "Do you mean 6 entries?" The lieutenant confirmed, "No, 6 months."

And all this was in the English language?

Edited by anchadian

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

Ever thought about getting PR, you've been here a long time.

Have to work three years and only 100 from your country given it a year, can take years to get.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, anchadian said:

The lieutenant was even more confused and turned to the colonel (?) and asked, "Is that a law?" The colonel said, "Do you mean 6 entries?" The lieutenant confirmed, "No, 6 months."

And all this was in the English language?

It's not beyond the wit of man that Briggsy understands simple Thai phrases, such as shown in the quote 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, simon43 said:

.... and it's stories like this that make many of us nervous about entering the country after an overseas trip, even with a valid visa.  This uncertainly is surely leading to decisions to leave Thailand (as I have), or for new expats to not even consider coming to Thailand. 

I have been here on a Non-Imm. with annual extensions. (Often refered to a Retirement Visa). I am not worried as I comply with the law, even though it may be confusing or inconsistently applied.

Decisions to leave Thailand are a personal matter and the experience of others has no bearing on my decision making to stay or leave, particularly from a person who has already left.

5 minutes ago, simon43 said:

It's not beyond the wit of man that Briggsy understands simple Thai phrases, such as shown in the quote 🙂

We don't know that...

21 hours ago, Briggsy said:

3. Computer records are not as available, accessible and complete as some posters here make out. High-level permission may be required to gain access. (not surprised at that)

Yes they are - your denial was not put into the system - there is nothing unusual about that with these kind of denials at the Airport

I know for a fact that the head Officer at the Kanchanaburi border has the Password for the main Immigration database so I would imagine all senior officers at every checkpoint throughout Thailand does also - it would make sense that they do have it

The Officers there were confused because there is no such law regarding the 6 months in a year and your denial was not put in the system

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Yes they are - your denial was not put into the system - there is nothing unusual about that with these kind of denials at the Airport

I know for a fact that the head Officer at the Kanchanaburi border has the Password for the main Immigration database so I would imagine all senior officers at every checkpoint throughout Thailand does also - it would make sense that they do have it

The Officers there were confused because there is no such law regarding the 6 months in a year and your denial was not put in the system

There was a good few years ago but it was taken off the books. Maybe the word hasn't filtered down yet to some areas.

Denial of entry is not even put in the remark section of IO. These guys at airport or Poi Pet make up their own set of rules. Sadly.