Honest Thai cabbie saves the day for Bangladeshi lecturer and his sick son

Jonathan Fairfield

Honest Thai cabbie saves the day for Bangladeshi lecturer and his sick son

tpb1.jpg

The Thai Tourist Police produced evidence of yet more honesty of Thai taxi drivers after a shoulder bag containing 200,000 baht in foreign currency was handed in. 

The hero this time was driver Prasong Leelap who found the bag when he took his cab in for a clean. Being a scrupulously honest person he immediately contacted JS100 radio station. 

On Monday Prasong had taken Mr Shariful Islam from the Ambassador Hotel on Soi 11, Sukhumvit in downtown Bangkok to the Sirirat hospital. 

He was going there to seek treatment for his son who has a problem with his platelets. He only realised he had forgotten his bag when he joined the queue in the hospital.

The TPB helped along with the regular police and Shariful was soon pictured hugging the honest driver at the radio station. 

tpb2.jpg

He said he had virtually abandoned hope of getting the bag back - it contained Bangladesh and US currency, three passports, a laptop and Bangladeshi ID cards. 

He praised the Thais and the police who he said were "most impressive".

He gave a $ US 300 reward (about 9,000 baht) to Prasong.

The TPB explained that Shariful is a lecturer at the University of Dhaka and has a position as a special lecturer at Chulalongkorn University (Faculty of Political Science) in Bangkok. 

Source: Thai Tourist Police

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-26

Well it had to come after the other stories this week about cheating scumbag taxi drivers.

You would have thought a university lecturer would have better scruples than get involved in another T.A.T. organised charade.

4 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Well it had to come after the other stories this week about cheating scumbag taxi drivers.

You would have thought a university lecturer would have better scruples than get involved in another T.A.T. organised charade.

i especially liked the use of the adjectives "scrupulously" and "immediately" just to emphasize just how honest he is and how quick to find the owner he was. Cynic that I am. 

46 minutes ago, colinneil said:

The pay was too good to knock back

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

So the essence of the tale is :- 

if you are going to lose a bag full of dosh in the back of a taxi make sure you do it AFTER one of their breed has been caught kite-flying , taking sneaky photo's , rigging the meter or refusing to use the meter to be in with a chance of it coming back in a cheesy P R exercise .. 

Good positive story. Why everyone negative so much????

Some taxi guy bad, some good. This guy the good one or not? Complain if good, complain if bad.

Mr Islam happy and have the money for the Thai hospital care for kid. Maybe the hospital can not do it in Bangladesh. 

Good luck Mr Prasong (Mr Wish)

If this guy find it, you think he will give it back?.......

5897656B-2656-417F-B4C9-A2CFFD4F23EC.jpeg

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

Again, I am amazed how stupid people are carrying around huge amounts of cash.....

even worse, forgetting about it....mobile phones have reminders timers clocks for this exact thing....

How do you set your mobile to remind you not to leave a bag in a taxi?

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Some taxi guy bad, some good. This guy the good one or not? Complain if good, complain if bad.

Mr Islam happy and have the money for the Thai hospital care for kid. Maybe the hospital can not do it in Bangladesh. 

Absolutely, well said.

I think if the guy in the picture found the 200K he'd probably stamp on it first.

Rooster

4 hours ago, nikmar said:

i especially liked the use of the adjectives "scrupulously" and "immediately" just to emphasize just how honest he is and how quick to find the owner he was. Cynic that I am. 

Yeah, you two really are a pair, aren't  you. Never s good word to say about anyone. Why not clear off back to your own miserable little island?

Nice, but it's a pity that the thousands of other crooked and cheating official taxi drivers,  would make society forget real fast the virtues of the few honest cabbies of Thailand.

But then who cares, the hi-so's and deciders of Thailand rarely need to take cab perhaps ?

5 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Again, I am amazed how stupid people are carrying around huge amounts of cash.....

even worse, forgetting about it....mobile phones have reminders timers clocks for this exact thing....

So I must be really stupid as well I carried cash on my last holiday in Thailand a few

days back and the reason? I cancelled 2 debit cards because I got taking to the

cleaners twice and my bank card will not work in Thailand but I never carried the

full amount I had my lady friend carried half of it

In each of these stories, I can't believe how careless people are with Laptops; Bags of Money, etc..If I carry more than 20,000 Baht cash I'm loaded (of course there's two credit cards with a total of $28,000 US line of credit.

7 hours ago, Yinn said:

There are some on this site that couldn't find something good to say about a Thai if they lived 100 yrs. Fortunately, not all of us have this disease..

7 hours ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

The guys on here who think this is all legitimate can explain to us all why this has happened in Bangkok about one hundred times in the last couple of years. 

Oh yes, coincidental. 

Perhaps the guys on here who think this is not at all legitimate can explain to us all why this couldn't have happened in Bangkok about one hundred times [sic] in the last couple of years. 

By the way it hasn't happened anywhere near 100 times, as you well know.

I don't know why these honest taxi drivers finding left behind packages full of money and valuables all tend to contact radio stations first and not a police station to make the report. Not the first time, and won't be the last. Just appears odd.. 

9 minutes ago, owenm said:

I don't know why these honest taxi drivers finding left behind packages full of money and valuables all tend to contact radio stations first and not a police station to make the report. Not the first time, and won't be the last. Just appears odd.. 

Some sort of narcissus syndrome?

In need of the heaps of praise and to star in a TAT commercial (comes in so many parts, it's easily mistaken for a soap opera).

Archived