Cloud looms over 41 Thai MPs in media-shares fiasco

Jonathan Fairfield

Cloud looms over 41 Thai MPs in media-shares fiasco

Thanathorn-Future-Forward.jpg

PHOTO: Future Forward’s Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit

The Constitutional Court is sitting today to consider whether they’ll accept petitions against 41 newly elected MPs accused by the Future Forward party of breaching media shareholding rules.

There are 41 Members of Parliament accused of breaching the rules – 26 from the Palang Pracharath Party, 11 from Democrats, and one from Bhumjaithai Party, Action Coalition for Thailand, Prachaphiwat and Chartpattana.

A legal representative for Palang Pracharat, the party most affected by the allegations, is asking the court to dismiss the petitions. He is arguing that the complaints have been improperly compiled in variance from the usual appeal procedures.

Last month Future Forward’s Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit was suspended from being an MP awaiting a similar court ruling accusing him of breaching the same media-shareholding rules.

The problem for the 41 government MPs, especially the 26 Palang Pracharat Party, is that the slim pro-Junta majority in the Lower House would turn into a minority making the fragile government largely unworkable.

Meanwhile a Future Forward spokesperson says that Thanathorn has his defence ready to address the charges. Piyabutr Saengkanokkul, secretary general for Future Forward, noted that the constitutional court’s past suspension of Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit has set a precedent in the similar cases against the 41 MPs.

He says the petitions against the government MPs are backed up with substantial evidence, quite different from the Election Commission’s petition against Thanathorn, which was based on information from a news agency at the time.

Meanwhile PM Prayut Chan-o-cha said yesterday that court rulings over one MPs suspension could not be used as a precedent in other cases.

Source: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/politics/cloud-looms-over-41-thai-mps-in-media-shares-fiasco

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-06-26

And does anybody seriously believe that the constitutional court will be honest and above board in deliberations to accept the petition or not ?

Mercedes-Benz Thailand and BMW Thailand really must be exceeding their 2019 yearly sales forecasts I should think.

You really couldn't make this stuff up could you? Lots and lots of Junta supporting MP's apparently with good supporting evidence of breaches of the laws, SHOULD be suspended, as was the case with Future Forwards Thanathorn. However, Prawit, the world famous watch "borrower" feels that what is good for the goose, is not good for the gander. I wonder how he would react had someone brought similar allegations against 41 MP's from opposition parties. Absolute blatant cheats, making crap up as they go along to hold their grip on illegitimately gained power.

30 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Meanwhile PM Prayut Chan-o-cha said yesterday that court rulings over one MPs suspension could not be used as a precedent in other cases.

Truly abhorrent. A man with absolute power is saying that his group shouldn't have the same laws applied to them. 

And didn't he just state that he would rule by law. 

6 minutes ago, jonclark said:

The outcome will be the same either way. 

One of the best statements on here for a while, Jonclark (above).

Yes: 'the outcome' - essentially a militarist junta - will be the same, whatever happens. It's all been long in the planning, and the decision was taken years ago. 

There is no way out, no way out at all now for the Thai people, except ...

But they don't have the fire and guts in their belly to take that road (perhaps understandably - but then they must put up with what they have got, and worse, in perpetuity). I feel so sorry for the young Thais - and their children ...

I fully expect that the precedent set in the Thanathorn case is followed by tge letter, which means the 41 mp's should not be allowed to attend lower house sessins pending the outcome. Just as they did with Thanathorn...

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Actually, yes it not only could but it should be used. But we all know Prayuth's strongest point is not following the law, or understanding it. 

I bet if the 41 would be predominantly PTP mp's, they would already been suspended. I honestly cannot believe that Prayuth and his fellow criminals are still in government.

Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit

58 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The problem for the 41 government MPs, especially the 26 Palang Pracharat Party, is that the slim pro-Junta majority in the Lower House would turn into a minority making the fragile government largely unworkable.

Which we all know will never, EVER be allowed to happen.

Thereupon Palang Pracharat will file a complaint against Future Forward that is curiously found to be 100% compliant and "properly compiled in full accordance from the usual appeal procedures" and thus not only is Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit banned from politics but his whole party gets the full Thai Raksa Chart treatment.

Just now, NanLaew said:

Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit

Which we all know will never, EVER be allowed to happen.

Thereupon Palang Pracharat will file a complaint against Future Forward that is curiously found to be 100% compliant and "properly compiled in full accordance from the usual appeal procedures" and thus not only is Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit banned from politics but his whole party gets the full Thai Raksa Chart treatment.

Too late for that, I bet you the Junta will not have the balls to do just that. 

22 minutes ago, Eligius said:

There is no way out, no way out at all now for the Thai people, except ...

But they don't have the fire and guts in their belly to take that road (perhaps understandably - but then they must put up with what they have got, and worse, in perpetuity). I feel so sorry for the young Thais - and their children ...

If they did take that road it's quite possible that they would literally have fire in their bellies and their guts on the road!Not a decision to be taken lightly. 

20 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If they did take that road it's quite possible that they would literally have fire in their bellies and their guts on the road!Not a decision to be taken lightly. 

You talk as though other peoples throughout history have not had to face such ultimate dangers - and DID face them and WIN. And there are other routes than those of violence which can be pursued.

Nobody said having guts is easy. That is why it is called having guts. I know (personally) highly cultured, prize-winning and relatively famous Thai authors who are even too scared to join Thanathorn's Future Forward party - even though they very much support him (silently, and in whispers). They would not dare to be seen in a rally alongside him.

Do you think that a nation can win back its freedom that way???!!

"Meanwhile PM Prayut Chan-o-cha said yesterday that court rulings over one MPs suspension could not be used as a precedent in other cases."

im getting to the point whereby im running out of synonyms for "blatant". I 'll go for manifest nepotism!!!

12 minutes ago, Eligius said:

You talk as though other peoples throughout history have not had to face such ultimate dangers - and DID face them and WIN. And there are other routes than those of violence which can be pursued.

Nobody said having guts is easy. That is why it is called having guts. I know (personally) highly cultured Thai authors who are even too scared to join Thanathorn's Future Forward party - even though they very much support him.

Do you think that a nation can win back its freedom that way???!

Sorry if it came across like that Eligius I can assure you that was not my intention which was to to highlight that the Thais are fully aware of the consequences of taking that road and that life for them tends to remain the same for them no matter who is running the country.

Same old same cover ups and lying sham shenanigans. Sooner or later something will give and there will not be anyway the Junta can throw up a road block unless they pull the ole National Security trick tossing all the opposition in jail voiding them from the house, or throw another coup and void the government that way. I would bet the first one will be tested before options run out. 

2 minutes ago, tompelli said:

Anyone who starts out with immunity to prosecution does not have honest/legal intentions. If the court decides against Khun Prayut I wouldn't be surprised if he article 44's the whole c**k-up

I've heard it said that the pen is mightier than the sword.It seems to me the Prayut is currently in control of both!

Does Prayuth speak out of his mouth or his arse? With all the shit the he seems to deliver, I am starting to think the latter.  
Yeah, the precedent remark quite clearly shows the guy has lost the plot. Surprised there are still people that defend him.

8 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Does Prayuth speak out of his mouth or his arse? With all the shit the he seems to deliver, I am starting to think the latter.  

I can still vividly remember when I shit coming out both ends at the same time and can tell you that it was not a pleasant experience as in the quote above!

2 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

I fully expect that the precedent set in the Thanathorn case is followed by tge letter, which means the 41 mp's should not be allowed to attend lower house sessins pending the outcome. Just as they did with Thanathorn...

The Thai legal system, doesn't require judges to follow precedent set by previous cases. It isn't a common law system in which precedents in application are determined by previous cases and modified or added to in further judgments. However judges are free to follow precedent if they so wish to.

As in so many instances here, the presiding officer has very very wide discretion.

46 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Yeah, the precedent remark quite clearly shows the guy has lost the plot. Surprised there are still people that defend him.

Actually the comments regarding the use of precedent shows the ignorance of farang posters. 

That isn't defending anyone, simply a statement of fact.

38 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Actually the comments regarding the use of precedent shows the ignorance of farang posters. 

That isn't defending anyone, simply a statement of fact.

<deleted>, first of all we are talking about the constitutional court here. Of course the precedent has been set, and if the court accepts the cases against the 41, there is no possible way the 41 can be allowed to serve as an MP. Do you have idea what justice actually means ? 

For reference I will quote exactly what the constitutional court's reasoning was:

In a statement issued yesterday afternoon, the court said it will hear a complaint filed by the Election Commission that he breached election rules by owning shares in a media company after he applied to run in the March 24 polls.

"If (the accused) performs his duty (as a Member of Parliament), it may lead to legal issues and arguments that hinder the House of Representatives," it said.

The suspension will last until a verdict is reached.

By law in many countries a decision of a court, any court, is automatically an ongoing solid precedent.

Don't automatically assume that Thai law (according to the legal precepts involved) works this way.  But I do hope it's the same as the more international approach.

And, unfortunately, regardless of the above, judges / judge panels decisions in the past in the LOS have been less than credible / believable.

Older hands will probably recall the doctor of medicine who chopped up his wife and there was totally clear evidence of his guilt. The judges' decision; no conviction because he's too valuable to society to go to jail.

And the panel of 7 judges, 6 of whom found the paymaster guilty but the seventh judge not guilty, because he had just won an election,  rather than make a decision according to the facts, and the judge admitted it. 

Just now, scorecard said:

By law in many countries a decision of a court, any court, is automatically an ongoing solid precedent.

Don't automatically assume that Thai law (according to the legal precepts involved) works this way.  But I do hope it's the same as the more international approach.

And, unfortunately, regardless of the above, judges / judge panels decisions in the past in the LOS have been less than credible / believable.

Older hands will probably recall the doctor of medicine who chopped up his wife and there was totally clear evidence of his guilt. The judges' decision; no conviction because he's too valuable to society to go to jail.

And the judge who found the paymaster not guilty because he had just won an election rather than make a decision according to the facts, and the judge admitted it. 

Oh I agree with you about the state of the Thai judiciary, it is downright appalling. However this is the same court, there is no way they can sell to the public that one guy is suspended, and others are allowed to function as MP's when they are accused and under review for the exact same offence. 

I think they have now been backed into a corner. 

4 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Oh look, the prime dunce doesn't know what precedent means.

Archived