Blacklisted from Thailand

My Laos wife was told the same thing at the Savannakhet border and at the Savannakhet consolate: No more entries, and no tourist visas available for Lao citizens. However, she does 30 day crossings in Cambodia, so it's possible for your GF to take a bus to Cambodia and then cross over to Thailand. I don't know which border crossing she uses, though.

As far as marriage, the Laos embassy will NOT issue the paperwork required for marriage. What some other posters are missing is the fact that a Laotian will need a visa to visit countries which do not require that same paperwork. All of the ASEAN nations which allow Lao people visa exempt entry require the document, or they will perform the ceremony but will not actually marry foreigners.

After fruitlessly trying on our own for 6 years, We used an attorney service, for 70,000 baht, and they got us officially married in Thailand. I'm sure there were some brown envelopes passed, but we are legally married and registered in Thailand. We mainly got married so I could get her on my BOI extension of stay as well as to get a green card to the US.

You can PM me and I'll give you the details for the lawyer if you want.

Hope that helps.

11 minutes ago, Newbie22 said:

My Laos wife was told the same thing at the Savannakhet border and at the Savannakhet consolate: No more entries, and no tourist visas available for Lao citizens. However, she does 30 day crossings in Cambodia, so it's possible for your GF to take a bus to Cambodia and then cross over to Thailand. I don't know which border crossing she uses, though.

As far as marriage, the Laos embassy will NOT issue the paperwork required for marriage. What some other posters are missing is the fact that a Laotian will need a visa to visit countries which do not require that same paperwork. All of the ASEAN nations which allow Lao people visa exempt entry require the document, or they will perform the ceremony but will not actually marry foreigners.

After fruitlessly trying on our own for 6 years, We used an attorney service, for 70,000 baht, and they got us officially married in Thailand. I'm sure there were some brown envelopes passed, but we are legally married and registered in Thailand. We mainly got married so I could get her on my BOI extension of stay as well as to get a green card to the US.

You can PM me and I'll give you the details for the lawyer if you want.

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot.

Seems quite similar to our situation so very interesting.

Will retain the idea of passing through Cambodia if confirmed that she cannot get a tourist visa.

Yes, I will PM you for the details.

There really isn't an impediment to Lao nationals applying for Tourist Visa. so it must be something pertaining to the Consulate General.

The reason why I assert this, is that on their latest website(post #21) they state; 

Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa will only be granted to Lao nationals or those with proof of permanent residence in Laos.

So clearly they also offer METV, in addition to SETV to Lao nationals, via the Embassy's Consular section.

Edited by KneeDeep
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Take note that I already gave you the correct link in post #21

The link you posted is for the appointment website. Not much info there. I posted the page for the consular section on the embassy website.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

The link you posted is for the appointment website. Not much info there. I posted the page for the consular section on the embassy website.

??

The page to which you linked is probably three years old and is in Thai language.

All of the information needed is on the website to which I linked. It is up to date and in English;

They also have a Contact page; https://thaivisavientiane.com/#contact in case he has a question about the tourist visa.

What more information do you think is contained on the page to which you have linked, that is not on the website to which I have linked?

The link that I have produced is for certain the website that he needs.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Try clicking through some of the links contained within. Visa Type, for instance, will indicate the available visas, show what supporting documents are necessary and what makes one eligible for the stated visa.

It's not just about making appointments.

Perhaps not advertised widely enough if you haven't seen it before.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Visa Type, for instance, will indicate the available visas, show what supporting documents are necessary and what makes one eligible for the stated visa.

I have been on the site many times (and have registered to check the appointments available) the info for supporting documents on it is not correct. It appears to be a copy and paste from another website.

For example it shows tickets out and financial proof for a tourist visa that in reality is not required and does not appear on the consular section webpage I posted a link to.

• Like 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

I have been on the site many times (and have registered to check the appointments available) the info for supporting documents on it is not correct. It appears to be a copy and paste from another website.

For example it shows tickets out and financial proof for a tourist visa that in reality is not required and does not appear on the consular section webpage I posted a link to.

These requirements are now requested for Tourist Visas. Certainly from the UK, where they were not insisted on earlier.

Your link is dated 2015, so of course it does not state those requirements. Where the official website to which I linked states 2019. I know which I would be using as a reference.

• Sad 1

Further to this;

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84451-Tourist-Visa.html

For Single Entry (stay up to 60 days) 

• A current passport with validity not less than 6 months and at least 2 blank pages. Applicants must fill in online visa application with their given name(s) and surname as appear in their passports.
  • Printout of visa application form submitted online, with bar code
  • Travel booking confirmation
  • Proof of accommodation in Thailand e.g. hotel booking, invitation letter from family or friend in Thailand
  • Financial evidence e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, sponsorship letter
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland (if applicants are not nationals of these countries) e.g. long stay visa, residence permit, BRP card

Times are a'changing.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:
1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

These requirements are now requested for Tourist Visas. Certainly from the UK, where they were not insisted on earlier.

Your link is dated 2015, so of course it does not state those requirements. Where the official website to which I linked states 2019. I know which I would be using as a reference.

Vientiane is not in the UK, and there are several reports that the requirements to apply for a tourist visa in Vientiane are unchanged.

Incidentally, while the online system used for applications at the London Embassy has those requirements, most likely the consulates in the UK still do not for a single entry tourist visa.

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

I think we are discussing the requirements at the embassy in Vientiane not the UK that now has the online application system. 

I can tell you it is not required in Vientiane at this time due to many reports by people applying there.

32 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Vientiane is not in the UK, and there are several reports that the requirements to apply for a tourist visa in Vientiane are unchanged.

Incidentally, while the online system used for applications at the London Embassy has those requirements, most likely the consulates in the UK still do not for a single entry tourist visa.

The information isn't coming from me. The website is the official website of the consular section of the Thai Embassy in Vientiane. So if you think anything that is in there is wrong, take it up with them.

I most certainly would be using that as a reference, as opposed to a page that is four years old.

Regardless of whether they ask for it or not. Those are the requirements.

As you know, there are many laws that are not enforced, until they are enforced.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Trabz said:

and she cannot come to Thailand...

OP, it seems that your main problem is where/how to marry her since you cannot spend a lot of time in Laos and she cannot visit Thailand for a while.

Perhaps this has been suggested already (I am not going to read all replies), but it is quite possible to get married in Singapore, if she has the time and the funds (possibly from you). She has to enter Singapore, I hope this is ok, then live continuously there for 15 days. At this point, she can apply for an appointment at the Registry of Marriages. The appointment could be 1 month later, depending on the queue and your schedule and the schedule of a judge of peace that she will need to contact. She leaves SIN, and returns at the set date with you. You'll need two witnesses.

This done, you both go with the marriage paper to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in SIN and get it legalized for international use (a few hours).

You will now have a valid marriage licence, get it properly stamped in Thailand (at the Ministry in Bangkok, or an agent can do this for you) and she can apply for a Thai visa as your spouse.

Edited by arithai12
edit: obviously this will only work if she can speak English.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Sorry but I haven't got a clue of what it is that you are trying to do here.

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS: 

1. A completed and signed Visa Application Form 
2. 2 passport-sized photos taken within 6 months
3. A Passport or travel documents (valid for no less than 6 months)
4. A copy of passport or travel documents
5. Evidence of adequate finance
• Single-Entry Tourist Visa: 20,000 baht per person and 40,000 baht per family
• Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa: 200,000 baht per person (6 months of financial statements)
6. Proof of permanent residence (compulsory for Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa applicants)
7. Other documents: as may be requested by Consular officers in addition to the documents above. Please note that Consular officers reserve the right to require additional documents, or an interview with the applicant, as deemed necessary, without prior notice. 

Where exactly does it state "tickets out and financial proof"? 

Your link is old, from 2015. But apart from that, tell me what is different from what is written above, than to what is available on the old website to which you linked?

For your convenience, I have linked to the relevant document from your 2015 page; http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/Visa/TOURIST VISA.pdf

Mine is from 2019 and is the official website for the consular section. To suggest that the RTE in Vientiane simply copied and pasted the requirements from "another website" is just insulting in the extreme.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

The information isn't coming from me. The website is the official website of the consular section of the Thai Embassy in Vientiane. So if you think anything that is in there is wrong, take it up with them.

I most certainly would be using that as a reference, as opposed to a page that is four years old.

Regardless of whether they ask for it or not. Those are the requirements.

As you know, there are many laws that are not enforced, until they are enforced.

I understand your point of view. My own experience is that, when dealing with Thai officialdom, it is better to find out what rules are actually being applied, and follow those. The rules can be more or less onerous than those on the embassy/consulate website that are often incorrect. As @ubonjoe indicated, all too often, website authors just copy information from elsewhere, and the stated guidelines can be totally inapplicable.

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I understand your point of view. My own experience is that, when dealing with Thai officialdom, it is better to find out what rules are actually being applied, and follow those. The rules can be more or less onerous than those on the embassy/consulate website that are often incorrect. As @ubonjoe indicated, all too often, website authors just copy information from elsewhere, and the stated guidelines can be totally inapplicable.

Yeah, unfortunately we both took ubonjoe's words;

For example it shows tickets out and financial proof for a tourist visa

as the truth before checking what was actually written. In fact there are no such demands on the 2019 website.

As I have illustrated a couple of posts above. I maintain that the 2019 website is the one you should be using for reference.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Looks the same to me. Perhaps ubonjoe misread it.

They certainly is not the same. I think you failed to read the one from the official Vientiane embassy website that does not mention anything about tickets or financial proof.

When you click make an appointment on the page it shows this that indicates the sole purpose of the site.

image.png.dbdf9f3c9e3f54c9e26db9436a8cc639.png

Also notice that it is a .com site.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

They certainly is not the same. I think you failed to read the one from the official Vientiane embassy website that does not mention anything about tickets or financial proof.

When you click make an appointment on the page it shows this that indicates the sole purpose of the site.

I think there is all round confusion here. I have no idea if you are looking at the right things.

So let us start again. 

I have no idea as to what you mean about a .com site. there is no .org site. it is now .com.

Secondly, whilst it appears to be an "appointment site", it is actually the official page of the Vientiane Consular section, so all the linked pages therein are official and up to date.

Now, going back to my post #49, I have pulled the PDF off the page to which you linked, under Tourist Visa. 

But the mistake I think that you are making is that you have somehow extrapolated that the new website indicates that they want to see a ticket and financial proof, when it does not.

So you are arguing from a completely fictional premise.

That is why I have put both documents together. Show where is says tickets and financial proof on the 2019 website.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Lets do it another way...

Here I will copy all of the info given under Tourist Visa on the new Consular website;

TOURIST VISA
TYPES OF TOURIST VISA AND VALIDITY: 

1. Single-Entry Tourist Visa is valid for entering Thailand once within 3 months from the date of application. The period of stay is 60 days maximum. 
2. Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa is valid for entering Thailand within 6 months from the date of application. The period of stay is 60 days maximum per stay. The Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa holder may enter Thailand again as long as the visa is still valid. Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa will only be granted to Lao nationals or those with proof of permanent residence in Laos. 

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS: 

1. A completed and signed Visa Application Form 
2. 2 passport-sized photos taken within 6 months
3. A Passport or travel documents (valid for no less than 6 months)
4. A copy of passport or travel documents
5. Evidence of adequate finance
• Single-Entry Tourist Visa: 20,000 baht per person and 40,000 baht per family
• Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa: 200,000 baht per person (6 months of financial statements)
6. Proof of permanent residence (compulsory for Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa applicants)
7. Other documents: as may be requested by Consular officers in addition to the documents above. Please note that Consular officers reserve the right to require additional documents, or an interview with the applicant, as deemed necessary, without prior notice. 

** The Royal Thai Embassy reserves the right to deny any visa applications with insufficient documents or if the reasons given are not fully supported. The visa fee is non-refundable. ** 

VISA FEE (Cash only in Thai baht)
1. Single-Entry Tourist Visa: 1,000 baht
2. Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa: 5,000 baht

PROCESSING TIME
2 working days (i.e. apply on Monday morning and pick up on Tuesday afternoon)

PERIOD OF STAY 
Travelers coming to Thailand with this type of visa will be permitted to stay for a period not exceeding 60 days.

EXTENSION OF STAY
Those who wish to stay longer or may wish to change their types of visa must file an application for permission at the Office of Immigration Bureau located on Government Complex Building B, Chaengwattana Road, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, www.immigration.go.th. Extension of stay as well as change of certain type of visa is solely at the discretion of Immigration officers. 

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Nationals of certain countries are required to apply for a visa only at the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the designated Royal Thai Embassy. Therefore, travelers are advised to contact the nearest Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General to find out where they may apply for a visa to Thailand before departure.

• Sad 1

and here I will copy the info from the 2015 page to which you linked;

Period of stay / Travelers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period not exceeding 60 days at any time for each entry. The period begins on the date you arrive in Thailand. Required document / • Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within six months and contain a least ONE completely empty visa page). • 1 copy of passport or travel Document. (The page(s) shows your photo, name, date and place or birth and the expiration date of passport). ໍ • 1 application form (complete and signed by the applicant. Parents can sign for the minor) 

WORKING WITHOUT WORKPERMIT IN THAILAND IS AN OFFENCE. VIOLATOR WOULD BE PROSECUTED UNDER THE LAW.  Thai law requires any foreign nationals who entering Thailand to have money or travel check equivalent to 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family.

http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/Visa/TOURIST VISA.pdf

So tell me, what can you see that is different?

• Sad 1

I think that I understand the mistake you have made. I think that you assumed "travel documents" meant tickets, when in fact in both cases, 2015 & 2019, it means documents used for identification. i.e Passport or ID card.

The financial requirement is also in both websites, as I have shown. But as you know is not strictly enforced.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

I think that I understand the mistake you have made. I think that you assumed "travel documents" meant tickets, when in fact in both cases, 2015 & 2019, it means documents used for identification. i.e Passport or ID card.

The financial requirement is also in both websites, as I have shown. But as you know is not strictly enforced.

Think they may taken down the the ticket requirement. I was going by memory when I first wrote my post. It was certainly there before.

I can certainly understand what travel documents mean. Been seeing that on many lists of requirements for several years now.

You can forget about the financial proof that is shown on that list since is not actually required when you apply for a tourist visa.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Think they may taken down the the ticket requirement. I was going by memory when I first wrote my post. It was certainly there before.

I can certainly understand what travel documents mean. Been seeing that on many lists of requirements for several years now.

You can forget about the financial proof that is shown on that list since is not actually required when you apply for a tourist visa.

But financial proof is also stated on your link, as I have shown. but as you say, it is in general not requested. But good to have with you, just in case.

We can agree that the new website is an updated version of the 2015 website ...which incidentally isn't even in English. You have to scroll to the bottom of the page to get to the PDF links in part English. Which is what I posted at the 2015 info.

I only recently came to the 2019 page and especially if it was .org previously, there may have been changes. So of course I've seen it with fresh eyes.

So hopefully were are now on the same page and you can fully recommend the new page as a reliable resource for information, together with it's contact page. 

• Sad 1