Parra, Palla ????

Didier 4429

Hi everybody!

my lovely wife is from Issan. She wonder when we back home not to find her favourite sauce.

She call it Parra or Palla ...

does somebody can aske to his partner a good recipe of this sauce : I will try to prepare it for her ????

many thanks by advance

Didier

Probably Pla Ra as previous poster said.

I'm not sure if it is the same thing as Nahm Pla (Fish Sauce), which you can find in supermarkets, or Asian food stores in Europe, if that is where you mean by 'When we back home."

Pla Ra ???? is most definitely not the same as Nahm Pla (insert emoji for "almost edible"), think surströmming2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pla_ra

From the Wiki :-

Pla ra (Thai: ปลาร้า, pronounced [plāː ráː]), also called ปลาแดก pla daek, is a traditional Thai seasoning produced by fermenting fish with rice bran or roasted rice flour and salt fermented in a closed container for at least six months.

EDIT The Wiki also notes that it is made commercially, your local Thai supermarket may actually have it although I suspect Madam will aready have asked.

Nam pla is made from fish from the sea (anchovy???). Pla Raa is made from fermenting freshwater fish. It stinks!!!

You can buy plastic bottles it from CPMart called Pla Raa Mike (looks like Tiger Woo doesn't he; wife tells me he's a singer). CPMart is like a 7/11 or tesco lotus express.

20190626_172754.jpg

20190626_172742.jpg

Pla Ra is now pronounced Pa ra, relatively new.

I am assured that the best "Pa ra" is home made, and it is a fact that this is also the best source for catching liver fluke, highly endemic to Isaan although slowly receding due to education. Just buy from the stores, I quite like a taste occasionally.

Archived