Johnson warns EU against any 'Napoleonic' tariffs in no-deal Brexit

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

What’s interesting about Boris Johnson is that’s he wants the job even though he knows that he’s not up to it ... he is not willing to engage in debates that he would lose, and that would expose him to the public.

Theresa May has many decent qualities, smart, hardworking, sense of duty ... but also many flaws, as we all now know. But at the time of her appointment most thought she was the right candidate for the job. The same mistake is being made with Johnson, who will be a disaster. 

If you read what Max Hastings or his old school reports say you'll see he always exhibits the same traits. Lazy, not bothered with detail, thinks he's entitled to be the one the rules don't apply to, and most of all thinks he's totally entitled.

He would be the worse disaster ever.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

The UK also contributed to Galileo and the EU have said that after Brexit the UK can't have any advantage from it. So they need to reimburse or provide the UK its share of the assets. And that needs to apply to all EU assets.

The 39 billion hasn't had the calculations explained in detail, nor have the assets to be provided to the UK been details AFAIK. 

May, Davies and the negotiating team did a crap job which is why their "best deal" has been rejected  three times and ridiculed.

It's time both sides got real. 

I don’t know the detail, or what trade offs were involved, but it would be false for anyone to claim that there are no legitimate obligations ... a claim that many routinely make.

Can any Remainer tell me why they honestly want to stay in Europe, is it just for personal financial gain, their jobs, or just like to travel in Europe.

For years the EU has been taking British jobs  with EU loans and grants, to  provide jobs in  Europe. 

The agricultural policies are stacked in favour of the French.

The British fishing industry has been decimated by EU control. (but you don't mind paying 5 pound for   a   piece of cod)

Britain has faced a lot of serious flooding now, because farmers have not been able to clear streams  when they usually have the time, because of EU rules.

The EU only want our Billions to build a federal Europe.

We had to close many of our Navel ship building yards, (not mothballed but bull dozed) so we have to put out  tenders to European yards now.

British MP, have only been in favour of the EU, because its jobs for the boys, and backhanders for those that have supported the EU.

We joined a Common Market, not a federal Europe. (an idiot PM Major, put the final nail in the coffin with the Maastrich treaty, the people never had a say in that.)

The EU has done nothing but to try and put Britain down, and their still at it.

I'm sure this list could go on and on.

So please, someone tell me the Good points.

4 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I don’t know the detail, or what trade offs were involved, but it would be false for anyone to claim that there are no legitimate obligations ... a claim that many routinely make.

There are obligations on both sides - only the EU has been extremely quite on recognizing and meeting theirs.

I suspect their plan is to bargain away their asset obligations as part of future trade negotiations. May was stupid to agree an upfront cost. 

30 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

The strangest thing about all of this is that Boris Johnson is lying to people, who know he is lying to them, and they want to be lied to ... because they are lying to themselves ... like a suicide pact, everyone’s a winner.

Shades of Trump's base.

Why would anybody vote for someone who tells lies, lies and lies? 
Most of what Boris tells the public is BS. And few people challenge him. Bizarre!
And later, when all his promises crash, he will of course blame all the others.
And the UK is supposed to be a model democracy. 555 
Wakey..wakey..politicians globally all are would be professional liars and have been in my lifetime.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

19 minutes ago, grumpy 4680 said:

Can any Remainer tell me why they honestly want to stay in Europe, is it just for personal financial gain, their jobs, or just like to travel in Europe.

For years the EU has been taking British jobs  with EU loans and grants, to  provide jobs in  Europe. 

The agricultural policies are stacked in favour of the French.

The British fishing industry has been decimated by EU control. (but you don't mind paying 5 pound for   a   piece of cod)

Britain has faced a lot of serious flooding now, because farmers have not been able to clear streams  when they usually have the time, because of EU rules.

The EU only want our Billions to build a federal Europe.

We had to close many of our Navel ship building yards, (not mothballed but bull dozed) so we have to put out  tenders to European yards now.

British MP, have only been in favour of the EU, because its jobs for the boys, and backhanders for those that have supported the EU.

We joined a Common Market, not a federal Europe. (an idiot PM Major, put the final nail in the coffin with the Maastrich treaty, the people never had a say in that.)

The EU has done nothing but to try and put Britain down, and their still at it.

I'm sure this list could go on and on.

So please, someone tell me the Good points.

I can tell you why. Because virtually everything that you have written is the opposite of the truth.

44 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

If you read what Max Hastings or his old school reports say you'll see he always exhibits the same traits. Lazy, not bothered with detail, thinks he's entitled to be the one the rules don't apply to, and most of all thinks he's totally entitled.

He would be the worse disaster ever.

And with veterans day being just two days away it's worth noting what the taskforce made of Max Hastings reports from the Falklands; given Gallipoli has also been used as a stick to beat BJ with in this thread ????

40 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

There are obligations on both sides - only the EU has been extremely quite on recognizing and meeting theirs.

I suspect their plan is to bargain away their asset obligations as part of future trade negotiations. May was stupid to agree an upfront cost. 

Since you have no idea how the numbers are build, you have also no idea which of the EU obligations have been met.

Great that we have such an unimpeachable character as Boris who would never threaten or tell a lie as a candidate for PM. He has such great credibility abroad which he gained as being FM and made no gaffes at all....(tell that the the dual citizen woman spying for MI6 and now languishing in an Iranian jail).

26 minutes ago, petemoss said:

I can tell you why. Because virtually everything that you have written is the opposite of the truth.

Agree with you 100% but as most people know ignorance of facts, incorrect statements by politicians at the time of the referendum and attempting to push the UK into the world of Oswald Moseleys 1930's ideology is typical of  most Brexiteers.

18 hours ago, billd766 said:

It is however a 2 way trade. If the EU wishes to put high tariffs on goods imported from the EU there will be nothing stopping the UK doing the same.

and of course they sell much more to the UK than the UK does to the EU.....like China and the US in miniature.....they will run out of British products to apply tariffs to before we do.

57 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The UK also contributed to Galileo and the EU have said that after Brexit the UK can't have any advantage from it. So they need to reimburse or provide the UK its share of the assets. And that needs to apply to all EU assets.

The 39 billion hasn't had the calculations explained in detail, nor have the assets to be provided to the UK been details AFAIK. 

May, Davies and the negotiating team did a crap job which is why their "best deal" has been rejected  three times and ridiculed.

It's time both sides got real. 

Get over it the 39 billion is a done deal. It won't be renegotiated.

The so-called upfront cost nothing to do with the trade negotiations but actually preceding divorce process.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, Pedrogaz said:

and of course they sell much more to the UK than the UK does to the EU.....like China and the US in miniature.....they will run out of British products to apply tariffs to before we do.

50% of the UK's exports to the EU. 7% of the EU's exports to the UK. Where do you get your "facts" from?

8 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

“It is vital that we are prepare for a no-deal outcome if we are going to get the deal that we need. I don’t think that is where we are going to end up, I think it is a million-to-one against,” he said.

No wonder Boris's team were desperate to keep him away from interviews and spouting off.  He staggers on giving mixed messages and contradicting himself at every opportunity.  He should just shut up about "No Deal" completely.  We all know he will end up with a deal as would Hunt.  The EU aren't buying any of this no deal threat so why bother banging on about it?

11 minutes ago, petemoss said:

Get over it the 39 billion is a done deal. It won't be renegotiated.

Of course it can, if there are considerable assets to consider, Mays asses of  negotiators were too quick to come up with a figure, just to keep Brussels happy.

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

Some of the finest legal minds in the country say there is no legal obligation to pay a penny.

13 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Some of the finest legal minds in the country say there is no legal obligation to pay a penny.

You will find them in pub's all over the country, pint in hand, fag in mouth, slurring their words and teetering on the edge of their bar stools. ????

Sorry Loiner but you did lead with your chin on that one ????

Just now, dunroaming said:

You will find them in pub's all over the country, pint in hand, fag in mouth, slurring their words and teetering on the edge of their bar stools. ????

Sorry Loiner but you did lead with your chin on that one ????

Oh my Lord, I must repent, before the teetotalers inherit the earth.

7 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Legally signed off as a done deal..I do not think so!!!

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Unfortunately it's not down to you. The EU does think so. Whatever terms we leave on the divorce bill has been agreed upon.

The only way out of it is to revoke Article 50 which would incur no bill as we invoked it on a "no win no fee" basis.

19 minutes ago, evadgib said:

That phrase plus the odd bit of abuse towards the intelligence of the opposition appears in no less that THIRTEEN of your most recent posts.

Humour and banter are perfectly acceptable but hit-and-run trolling .....?

The Hongkys were always pretty dour I thought. Not a lot of humour or banter in those posts either.

Archived