BANGKOK 24 July 2019 00:27
snoop1130

Johnson warns EU against any 'Napoleonic' tariffs in no-deal Brexit

3 minutes ago, petemoss said:

However, there's no doubt that the £ has suffered a much more dramatic fall than other currencies. As a wild, and conservative, guess I would estimate that at least 50% of the £'s devaluation is due to Brexit.

So you're ignoring the falls of the AUS$, NZ$, CAN$ and Krone, that all fell by more than the UKP for what reason?

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

So you're ignoring the falls of the AUS$, NZ$, CAN$ and Krone, that all fell by more than the UKP for what reason?

CAD/GBP 0.53 at Brexit now 0.59.

NZD/GBP 0.46 at Brexit, now 0.53.

AUD/GBP  0.54 at Brexit now 0.56.

Most currencies have fallen against the Baht. GBP the most.

Check the figures for 6months- 1 year after Brexit, before the THB started to strengthen, much worse.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Sorry, I have no interest in your remainer propaganda and cherry picking of currency falls.

My Oz pals have lost 33% in the past 3-4 years, I've lost 27% in the past 10 years.

I think that it's you that is cherry picking. Compare your currency since Brexit to the GBP since Brexit.

• Like 2

Just now, petemoss said:

I think that it's you that is cherry picking. Compare your currency since Brexit to the GBP since Brexit.

On ignore.

13 hours ago, HansumFarang said:

China 30/40 years ahead, what a joke,

image.gif

You appear to be confused between achievement and politics. Unlike the UK the China has not allowed politics to stand in the way of achievement.

The Chinese operate the largest high speed rail network in the world, how long did that take, the UK has just started building one.

I took a train journey from Guangzhou to Yangshuo, about 250 miles in just over 2 hours. The latter half of the journey was in mountainous terrain and just a series of tunnels and viaducts, tremendous feat of engineering. How many lengthy train tunnels and viaducts are there in the UK.

Cash and cards are virtually redundant in China, nearly everyone, including old ladies in the market, pay by QR code and smartphone, how many people in the UK have heard of a QR code, far less used one for payment.

The UK has dragged it's feet on infrastructure progress and now brexit has turned the UK into a joke.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, nontabury said:

I understand your predictment,and i’m sure the same for many others. I estimate that my returning to live in the U.K is costing the Government anywhere between 13- 17,OOO per year, this is mostly made up of the education of my two children. And as I’ve mentioned on these threads before, one of the many pluses for our leaving this so called union, will be the knowledge that E.u. Citizens will no longer be able to obtain discounted British University education, while the children of our own citizens, if they are living outside the E.u. are required to pay the full cost + another 50%.

In addition I do not think that the weakness of sterling against the Baht can solely be placed at the door of Brexit, as many other currencies are also suffering due to the strength of Baht.

Notice you didn't mention that overseas students pay 3 times as much as UK students.

Any single situation and the exchange rate are what they are and cannot be viewed in isolation. There are pluses and minuses in regard to leaving the EU and the minuses will be heavily dependent on how the separation is implemented. Spending £92 million to determine the cost of a galileo replacement doesn't seem much of a plus.

The cause behind the reduction in sterling is a bit academic in respect of the point I made. If large numbers of expats decide to return to the UK it is only going to make the existing crisis in the NHS a great deal worse.

There appears to be a problem getting consultants to do routine operations, why wasn't there enough doctors to do these operations in the first place rather than relying on consultants doing overtime. They had no problem finding 16000 civil servants to work on brexit, money going in the wrong direction.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

On ignore.

Beaten

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Notice you didn't mention that overseas students pay 3 times as much as UK students.

Any single situation and the exchange rate are what they are and cannot be viewed in isolation. There are pluses and minuses in regard to leaving the EU and the minuses will be heavily dependent on how the separation is implemented. Spending £92 million to determine the cost of a galileo replacement doesn't seem much of a plus.

The cause behind the reduction in sterling is a bit academic in respect of the point I made. If large numbers of expats decide to return to the UK it is only going to make the existing crisis in the NHS a great deal worse.

There appears to be a problem getting consultants to do routine operations, why wasn't there enough doctors to do these operations in the first place rather than relying on consultants doing overtime. They had no problem finding 16000 civil servants to work on brexit, money going in the wrong direction.

I don’t believe overseas students do pay 3 times as much as U.K students. 

They pay the full rate plus 50%, exactly the same as children of U.K. tax paying citizens who happen to live outside the E.u.

The two exceptions are Overseas students, who are citizens of a E.U. country and whose parents may never have even previously, visited the U.K. let alone having made monetary contributions to our system.

The other example, which I’m sure you’re aware of, is that those citizens of E.u countries, can obtain free University education in Scotland, while your fellow British citizens living in England, Nth Ireland and Wales Must pay.

Edited by nontabury
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, nontabury said:

I don’t believe overseas students do pay 3 times as much as U.K students. 

They pay the full rate plus 50%, exactly the same as children of U.K. tax paying citizens who happen to live outside the E.u.

The two exceptions are Overseas students, who are citizens of a E.U. country and whose parents may never have even previously, visited the U.K. let alone having made monetary contributions to our system.

The other example, which I’m sure you’re aware of, is that those citizens of E.u countries, can obtain free University education in Scotland, while your fellow British citizens living in England, Nth Ireland and Wales Must pay.

Manchester charge 2 x Domestic rates for oversees students