BANGKOK 19 July 2019 06:20
ryanhull

Feeling ripped off by the condo owner, anything I can do?

Hello all,

3 weeks ago I moved into a small condo in Maha Sarakham in isaan,

The rent is only 4000 a month and its not a bad little place for the price,

All was good until yesterday, I got my first electric bill slipped under the door, the bill was 4500 bhat, I only have the one air con unit and I do not leave it on 24/7, I have a pc/tv/fridge/microwave also... 

Now when we moved in we took a picture of the meter and the amount of units we have used is correct. Looking further into things, it seems we are paying 8 bhat per unit on power, I have obviously stupidly signed the contract as it was in Thai and didn't think it would be much different from the other contracts ive signed over the years, to be honest the highest bill I have ever had was 2800 and that was in the hottest month and in a 4 bedroom house with aircons pretty much on 24/7, now I know I was paying direct to the government then so I cant expect that in a condo and I know condos make up there own prices but I am bit stuck here, the owner of the block of condos just gives me the blank when asked about it and basically said you have until the 5th of next month to pay it, I feel like I am being ripped off here and cant fathom how I could use 4500b in electric in a one bedroom apartment? even if I left the ac on 24/7 with the doors wide open I don't think I would even hit that? 

Anyway, the deposit for the condo is only 4000 bhat, (less than the electric bill) and its not I cant afford to pay it just don't like being ripped off,

Reading into laws etc on what landlords can and cant do it seems she is going against the law charging 8bhat a unit as she rents more than 5 places out, but a. I get the feeling reading the law to her will get me no where

b. My own mrs says I signed it so I have to pay it end of (not very helpful)

c. If pay 4500 electric a month moving forward, plus the rent, I could be living in a large house for the same price? and whos to say next month she wont put it up to 20 bhat a unit?

To be blunt, I am writing this post to ask what would you do in this situation? 

I could just pack up and leave and tell her to take me to court for the electric, I could pay it and stay and give in, I could I am told by a Thai friend report her (that's only going to bring trouble to my door), really I do not have a lot of options I guess but to pay it and continue to be scammed moving forward? 

I have been told the normal rate for living in a condo even with the owner hiking the price up should be 4 bhat a unit max?

Any advise would be much appreciated as I am in a bit of a pickle here wether to just up and leave or wether to give in and pay?

Cheers all 

• Like 2

Hi Olmate, your question kind of confuses me, why would I be paying for anyone else's power but my own usage? but no is the answer, cheers

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, ryanhull said:

Hi Olmate, your question kind of confuses me, why would I be paying for anyone else's power but my own usage? but no is the answer, cheers

That’s just the way this block is wired

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She is cheating you, so pack up and move out. I pay 4500 for my house, 3 rooms of which 2 rooms with 10h aircon, pool pump, 3 fridge, TV's, lights, CCTV boiler, water pump etc etc

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

thanks guys, the mrs is kind of annoying me about it 'oh I told you, you signed it' what you told me we was going to be paying double the most expensive rate? and you was ok with that? 'you knew' 

Don't get it sometimes, clearly being scammed and I am told I signed it so whatever,

What a mess about having to move all my stuff to a new place now,

Lesson learnt though I guess,

Would you guys just up and leave without paying the bill? or pay it then leave? 

Thanks,

I thought that overcharging on the meter rate was made illegal some time back. Around the time that upfront deposits were supposed to be pegged at one month only. Others on here will know

• Like 1

You said it says 8 Baht in the 'contract'

Get the electric bills in writing, gather as much evidence as you can then report her to whoever investigates these things or just move out and tell her to go ***k herself.

5 Baht is a standard rate in many condos, I have seen it as high as 8 or 9 Baht in the past - like 10 plus years ago so it's not that unusual but it is a rip off.
"you can then report her to whoever investigates these things"

Surely you jest. A contract is a contract
  • Like 1

I thought that overcharging on the meter rate was made illegal some time back. Around the time that upfront deposits were supposed to be pegged at one month only. Others on here will know
Only if the landlord had 5 condos or more. Crazy law but TIT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, madmen said:

Only if the landlord had 5 condos or more. Crazy law but TIT

1 hour ago, ryanhull said:

Reading into laws etc on what landlords can and cant do it seems she is going against the law charging 8bhat a unit as she rents more than 5 places out,

• Like 1

The new law says that landlords may not charge much more than the electricity actually costs them.

Anyone with a domestic supply should be paying just over 4B/unit.

Anyone with a commercial supply may be paying much more than that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ryanhull said:

I feel like I am being ripped off here and cant fathom how I could use 4500b in electric in a one bedroom apartment? even if I left the ac on 24/7 with the doors wide open I don't think I would even hit that? 

Before I replaced it with a new inverter my old air-con would regularly cost me 4000+B per month in my condo, including other things like lighting, TV, oven, water heater. With the new one my bills dropped to around 1500B, including other things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bite the bullet now, otherwise its will gnaw at you until you do eventually move.

Count your losses, learn and move on.

Best of luck.

• Like 1