Feeling ripped off by the condo owner, anything I can do?

The company I work for owns apartment buildings in Bangkok. The company charges the tenants 5 baht per unit, which is fractionally more than we are charged.

We charge tenants 16 baht per unit for water, which is fractionally less than we are charged.
Can you please show me an ad for your company in the web that says 5bht/unit. You can send me a private email if ads are now allowed in this forum.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/26/2019 at 8:27 PM, ryanhull said:

Thanks for all your replies anyway peeps, appreciated and I appreciate I have been a bit of a plonker signing it, I think im pretty  much set on moving out as if the air unit is faulty, she isn't the type to help nor fix it and I don't see why I should stay here given the next bill will probably be 4-5k.... may aswell use that money and move into a bigger place right? question I have for you guys is... would you pay the bill before you leave or leave? knowing her if she see`s me moving my stuff out shes going to get cranky and start demanding cash etc, but then again I have until the 5th to pay it so she has no right to do that.... Ill stop blabbering on, to be blunt, pay it and move on or don't pay and just go? cheers all

You probably need to suck it up and pay (easiest solution); but, if there was a deposit I would get that resolved (ie. get your money back first) before ponying up for the electric bill.  Of course there could be a penalty clause in there for breaking the lease early which means you can kiss that deposit goodbye as well.  Issan women have a strange mindset.  As long as they feel it is you who is getting ripped off and not them then they will always side with the Thais involved.  If you were to tell her that half that bill is coming out of her monthly stipend then she would probably be down there screaming at the landlord.  Certainly a lesson learned to not trust your wife/GF when it comes to interpreting paperwork for you. 

On 6/26/2019 at 6:43 PM, ukrules said:

You said it says 8 Baht in the 'contract'

Get the electric bills in writing, gather as much evidence as you can then report her to whoever investigates these things or just move out and tell her to go ***k herself.

5 Baht is a standard rate in many condos, I have seen it as high as 8 or 9 Baht in the past - like 10 plus years ago so it's not that unusual but it is a rip off.

Telling anyone to go ***k themselves is almost certain to end negatively. I am thankful I have alternative tools in my social interaction toolbox.

On 6/26/2019 at 5:00 AM, ryanhull said:

thanks guys, the mrs is kind of annoying me about it 'oh I told you, you signed it' what you told me we was going to be paying double the most expensive rate? and you was ok with that? 'you knew' 

Don't get it sometimes, clearly being scammed and I am told I signed it so whatever,

What a mess about having to move all my stuff to a new place now,

Lesson learnt though I guess,

Would you guys just up and leave without paying the bill? or pay it then leave? 

Thanks,

I would definitely pay the bill and move on. Who wants trouble in a foreign country? 

Hello

First of all, I would unplug all my electrical appliances and see if my meter moves.. Then open a tap and if you have a pump in your building to improve water pressure, see if your meter moves (in this case common electricity expenses are on you).. Same in the evening to see if common areas lights are not on you..

I have a 3 bedrooms condo, all electric, cook a lot, washing machine 3 times a week, AC in the master bedroom 28 sqm at 26 degrees every night from 9 till 7 morning 2 computers and a TV on during 15 hours a day, 1 ceiling fan 24 hours a day and my indexes give approximately 380 per month..

Have a nice day

11 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

Sounds like you ought to move out and leave the Misses there too.

That'll teach em.

I'm not surprised the Op's Missus dismissed the whole matter.     It's common I think that a Thai lady figures it's better to just leave it alone.

You are definitely getting cheated. Sounds like other units, or machines are hooked up to your meter. It might be worth trying to get the PEA involved. That could cause some embarrassment, and potentially expose the crime being committed. 

The general rule of thumb, is that I always ask first, what the electric charges are, and make sure all utilities are charged at actual cost. I will not pay a landlord a profit on utilities. That should be illegal, and is illegal in many countries. It is a total scam here. If the charges are higher than local, actual costs, I move on to another unit. It is easier to find a reasonably priced house, that does not mark up electric than an apartment. That seems to be a way landlords subsidize rent here.

It may be time to move on. And do more research next time. Try to talk to some of the tenants walking out of the building, and ask them about their issues. 

Every condo we have owned--some 16 or more in Thailand--has had its own electric meter and we have received electric bills directly from the electric authority.  When we have rented out a condo to a tenant, we passed the actual electric bill to the renter to pay.  You say you got your electric bill 'slipped under your door'. Was it an official bill from the electric authority?  If not, and you are in a condo and not an apartment block, check if you can get the actual electric bill sent directly to you. 

Our highest bill ever was around 4000 baht on a 2 bedroom condo, running the aircon mostly just at night.  There was a problem with the aircon and when we got it fixed the bills dropped to around 2000 baht a month, still high in my opinion.  We are currently in the largest condo we have ever owned, a 3 bedroom, we are running more electrical stuff--including a clothes dryer for the first time--and our electric bill has been only about 1000 baht a month, some months only around 800 baht.  Have no idea why it is so low but not complaining!

Most condod I know pay government price but water is 18 to 20 baht. If only one government electric for the block then the owner can charge up to 5.5 baht per unit, legally

On 6/26/2019 at 7:00 PM, ryanhull said:

thanks guys, the mrs is kind of annoying me about it 'oh I told you, you signed it' what you told me we was going to be paying double the most expensive rate? and you was ok with that? 'you knew' 

Don't get it sometimes, clearly being scammed and I am told I signed it so whatever,

Thanks,

Typical response from a 'mrs' that should be siding with you instead of another Thai... just typical. So if the bill was 14,500 I guess he response would be the same??

I'd seriously sit down with her and find out where & whom her trust and loyalties are with, as I'm sure if the shit hits the fan in the future, you'd want to know she has your back.

7 Baht is considered acceptable for commercial,,, bit tough for domestic.

But you are using a lot of juice. 562 units,

We have the normal condo usage, use the aircon every night in bedroom, sometimes in living area if very hot, never use more than 350 units.

Are you heating water & cooking with electricity ?

On 6/26/2019 at 2:00 PM, ryanhull said:

Thanks,

It seems thst you also have another bigger problem in hand.

Your misses not care that you give away money. All the Thai people I have met and helped me with a Thai contract did have big problem with this and not accept if I signed a contract like this.

All conteact are I sign I always in writen text mentioning that: contract always signed against the certifeied translated english version and this version also is wet singed by me which prevails above the other language version.

Just put this in every contract you sign. If they not accept this just take the contract rip of the singed part by you and take that with you and leave immidiatly.

Solve a lot of problems in the future.

If you signed a contract with the electric price listed in it you are not being scammed.  Your wife is correct in that part.  Does the rental contract actually state what the price is?

Just for reference for my house in the hot months my bill is about 4.4 baht/unit.  The electric rate varies depending on usage, cost is in tiers of usage.  So in the cooler months my per unit cost would be lower.

You can not just move out. You will be the one who will  break the rules and contract.

You need to find out if anything out of your room sharing electricity. Or the landlord just want to overcharge (what could be in the contract about electricity per unit). Or the meter is faulty. 

Inform the landlord about what the problem is and then move out (if nothing positive by landlord) without paying and leave the deposit as your rent. 

My guess is if the landlord wanted to plan you, she would ask for 2 months deposit, not one month. 

On 6/26/2019 at 9:16 AM, mike787 said:

Give her a choice:  stop the BS or you move out.  end of story.  If she won't do the right thing then you do it.  Don't wait around.  Drop the hammer on her hard and fast.  Problem fixed for good.

It’s like the meter in a taxi.....tell her you will pay the actual bill only or you are gone. Even if an 8 baht rate is included in the lease she is breaking the law if she owns 5 or more rental units and I think they don’t need to be in the same building. I have my owner make sure I receive the real bill and I pay this each month.

On 6/26/2019 at 8:00 AM, ryanhull said:

Thanks,

Always have a English version of the contract, dont rely on others to tell you what is in a contract. Either accept it or move those are your choices.

On 6/26/2019 at 7:00 PM, ryanhull said:

Thanks,

Well,

Firstly, you know you are being ripped off having had previous large houses and electric bills, you know the going rates. I have a compound in nearby Kalasin from where you are, and I recently paid my electric for our three houses, one unoccupied right now. The total bill for the three houses was 2,500 baht. In the main three bedroom house, I have one aircon in the bedroom, the house is fan cooled. We have the big fridge, TV and computer running 24/7 , electric operated gates and we are in and out all the time, we also have electric water pumps as we have our own water supply,

In the now unoccupied 3 bed house we have behind the main house, we had a German tenant in there for a year, his bill was never over 500 baht but he had only fan cooling because the house doesn't need aircon. I think though, you know these types of average spends on electric bills.

Now, to the deposit. You have no chance of ever getting it back as a rule, as invariably they find faults that are not there to avoid giving it you back. Thais do not like refunding money. The idea of deposits is to cover the landlord in the event of small damage or unpaid bills.

I would move out when she is not around, if you feel so strongly about being cheated. I would cancel the electric off against the deposit. She hasn't lost out anyway as she was cheating you in the first place.

Lastly, I wouldn't be listening to a girlfriend either, it's not her money and she doesn't want confrontation with another Thai. However, it would be a different matter if she was footing the bill.

Depending on the terms of the contract you signed, I'd say you have made your own bed. But you do not have to lie in it, though anything you do from this point is going to cause some disruption, unless you simply swallow your pride and accept the high electricity charges.

If your landlady owns five or more condos, she is under a legal obligation only to charge the same rate for electricity as she is herself charged, which should be something over 4B/unit at the domestic rate. That said, however, if you challenge her on this, the likely outcome is bad feeling at the least, which may make continuing to live there unpleasant, or notice to leave, and possibly some trumped-up counter claims nonsense against you, such as damage caused by you, at worst.

Your best course, if you think the matter will continue to irk you, is just to forego the deposit and leave, but with the proviso that you should be careful that she doesn't have the ability to pursue you - and next time, take care to note the unit price for electricity stipulated in the contract before signing. This overcharging for electricity scam is well-known in Thai rental circles but no so much in farang ones. As you and others have noted, it can mean a difference of a thousand or two per month, depending on your usage, even for a single room.

Archived