Bangkok worlds 40th most Expensive City...Really?

dt1971

The new cost of living list has just been released. very interesting to see Bangkok in 40th place. More expensive than Paris and Sydney. I dont know about that, seems a stretch to get to that. I guess they looking at a basket of goods but certainly not the cheap place in the sun it once was

https://mobilityexchange.mercer.com/Insights/cost-of-living-rankings

What's the point of looking at such list?

They can't be accurate for lots of people. I.e. in Bangkok are lots of people who earn minimum or even less than minimum salary of 300B a day. And then there are all the millionaires. Do they eat the same? Do they live in the same houses or even in the same part of the city? Obviously not. Case closed. 

On 6/26/2019 at 7:30 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

What's the point of looking at such list?

Case closed. 

Its not a case of just looking at one city on the list on its own.

Its relative comparison that is the point.

Every city has variations as you state and the figures are not aimed at that.

The survey is done on a comparative basis comparing cities on a number of factors.

Whats more to the point is that Bangkok rose from 52 to 40 and is now more expensive in dollar terms than Dublin, Paris and cities in Australia.

The table with comparison to last year is here.

https://www.mercer.com/newsroom/mercers-25th-annual-cost-of-living-survey-finds-cities-in-asia-most-expensive-locations-for-employees-working-abroad.html

One of the biggest reasons is the strong baht.

In Australia the ozzie dollar has fallen a lot so that explains the point.

The Thai Baht is about 10% stronger against the Euro in the last year also.

I would think that a lot of Australians would note the point from the survey that Bangkok is now more expensive to live than major Australian cities in relative terms.

However they must surely know already how much more expensive it is getting.

Now i live in OZ now after moving back from the land of scams

I receive 45784. 58 baht on pension every month I pay no medicare

get medication for just a few dollars get rent assistant cheap bus

and train fares electricity assistant still drive an old car(I know petrol is not cheap)

yes my rent is very cheap (I live in Perth not Sydney or Melbourne)

I do not pay water rates at all I live in a 3 bedroom unit (condo)

have kitchen,lounge,shower,laundry,toilet and pay nothing for rubbish

removal (3 bins green yellow and red) and at the end of the month 

I still have about 200 dollars left to spend or save so why would I

live in a 3rd world country again where most things cost the same

and I can't even insure myself I am 72 now

2 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Now i live in OZ now after moving back from the land of scams

I receive 45784. 58 baht on pension every month I pay no medicare

get medication for just a few dollars get rent assistant cheap bus

and train fares electricity assistant still drive an old car(I know petrol is not cheap)

yes my rent is very cheap (I live in Perth not Sydney or Melbourne)

I do not pay water rates at all I live in a 3 bedroom unit (condo)

have kitchen,lounge,shower,laundry,toilet and pay nothing for rubbish

removal (3 bins green yellow and red) and at the end of the month 

I still have about 200 dollars left to spend or save so why would I

live in a 3rd world country again where most things cost the same

and I can't even insure myself I am 72 now

errmm You came to Thailand for pussy and the closest you will get in Perth is a cat.

Plus your 72  so happy to save your 200 and read a book ? No need to trash Thailand though, your just entering the final phase of your life and crave security but show some class and be honest about it. Good luck !

Even with a very weak $A, the cost of living in Australian cities is far greater than in Bangkok, due to property prices and property taxes overwhelming everything else. Even Canberra, coming in at 96, is way, WAY more expensive than Bangkok. Don’t know how the various factors are weighted, maybe just an unweighted average of housing, beer, fast food, cinema tickets etc, leading to this ludicrous claim. I’m sure Sydney’s cheaper for someone on an average Australian income than Bangkok is on an average Thai income though.

7 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Depends on the criteria, lets get our priorities right here....I always define the cost of living in a country by the cost of getting laid.

My #1 thought also add the quantity. It is my highest budgeted item.

Good job!

11 hours ago, jojothai said:

Its not a case of just looking at one city on the list on its own.

Its relative comparison that is the point.

Every city has variations as you state and the figures are not aimed at that.

The survey is done on a comparative basis comparing cities on a number of factors.

Whats more to the point is that Bangkok rose from 52 to 40 and is now more expensive in dollar terms than Dublin, Paris and cities in Australia.

The table with comparison to last year is here.

https://www.mercer.com/newsroom/mercers-25th-annual-cost-of-living-survey-finds-cities-in-asia-most-expensive-locations-for-employees-working-abroad.html

One of the biggest reasons is the strong baht.

In Australia the ozzie dollar has fallen a lot so that explains the point.

The Thai Baht is about 10% stronger against the Euro in the last year also.

I would think that a lot of Australians would note the point from the survey that Bangkok is now more expensive to live than major Australian cities in relative terms.

However they must surely know already how much more expensive it is getting.

So if I would live in the middle of Paris and I would go regularly to restaurants and nightlife nearby Paris would be cheaper than Bangkok? I don't think so.

5 minutes ago, madmen said:

?? the AUD is still worth $1 in OZ

Yes but 90 % of the things you buy in Australia are imported, so a weak OZ dollar means things cost more.

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes but 90 % of the things you buy in Australia are imported, so a weak OZ dollar means things cost more.

SO Bangkok should be a lot cheaper being one the strongest currencies on the planet.

strength of currency does not have much to do with it

• Cost of living is the amount of money needed to sustain a certain standard of living by affording expenses such as housing, food, taxes, and healthcare.
  • Salaries should reflect the higher cost of living in more expensive cities like New York City.
  • The cost of living index compares the cost of living in a major city to a corresponding metropolitan area.

7 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

Even with a very weak $A, the cost of living in Australian cities is far greater than in Bangkok, due to property prices and property taxes overwhelming everything else. Even Canberra, coming in at 96, is way, WAY more expensive than Bangkok. Don’t know how the various factors are weighted, maybe just an unweighted average of housing, beer, fast food, cinema tickets etc, leading to this ludicrous claim. I’m sure Sydney’s cheaper for someone on an average Australian income than Bangkok is on an average Thai income though.

Bear in mind that this company is somewhat an expert in this and has been doing it for a very long time.

Their information indicates that they use comparative costs that reflect what is common for expatriates, not the locals.

I don't know whether they include any assessment of income /property taxes relative to income but would guess that it is a separate issue.

If that was taken into account for Australia then surely it must be much more costly relative to income. I understand that taxes are a lot higher.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

So if I would live in the middle of Paris and I would go regularly to restaurants and nightlife nearby Paris would be cheaper than Bangkok? I don't think so.

If you are primarily a wine drinker you may expect to find places cheaper than Bangkok for the same standard of wine.

The basis of the survey is stated to be comparative cost of living and not just restaurants and nightlife.

Some things are more expensive and others will be cheaper.

10 hours ago, madmen said:

errmm You came to Thailand for pussy and the closest you will get in Perth is a cat.

Plus your 72  so happy to save your 200 and read a book ? No need to trash Thailand though, your just entering the final phase of your life and crave security but show some class and be honest about it. Good luck !

First of all you do not know what you talking about second I came to Thailand for

business and third I did not trash Thailand and fourth you better learn how to read

16 minutes ago, jojothai said:

If you are primarily a wine drinker you may expect to find places cheaper than Bangkok for the same standard of wine.

The basis of the survey is stated to be comparative cost of living and not just restaurants and nightlife.

Some things are more expensive and others will be cheaper.

Correct. And that's exactly the point why many such comparisons don't make much sense for many people.

Recently I spoke to a colleague who used to live in Paris. Now he lives in Bangkok and he visited Paris. And he told me it's bloody expensive over there... 

The only thing I do now think is expensive in Bangkok is a night out. Pints (out of Happy Hour) are generally 150+ which is more than I would pay in England. Everything else is far better value - eating out, transport, entertainment, bills etc.

I live a far better lifestyle here as a teacher than I was when I was teaching in England.

5 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

First of all you do not know what you talking about second I came to Thailand for

business and third I did not trash Thailand and fourth you better learn how to read

huh ? You better learn to proofread ,you took a swipe in your very first sentence. Seems to be standard procedure on TV when relocating.

So your were not interested in Thai pussy, fair enough...

17 minutes ago, madmen said:

huh ? You better learn to proofread ,you took a swipe in your very first sentence. Seems to be standard procedure on TV when relocating.

So your were not interested in Thai pussy, fair enough...

I don't need to prove read anything and the first sentence is just what Thailand is

but you being an apologist don't realize that (or won't)

3 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Diamonds, every high end watch, breathtaking apartments, top of the range cars - if you're on a low budget these will sadly escape you but claiming BKK has nothing of quality is a bit embarrassing IMO. 

Not to mention Noon in Soi 4 !!

You missed the best malls on planet earth and a train the pulls up to their front doors with a fantastic choice of restaurants and food courts

14 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

Even with a very weak $A, the cost of living in Australian cities is far greater than in Bangkok

10 hours ago, madmen said:

?? the AUD is still worth $1 in OZ

The survey’s about cost of living for people working abroad, so a weaker $A against the baht reduces any cost advantage Thailand has over Australia for a foreign worker. I was claiming that despite this, Australia’s still much more expensive due to hugely greater property prices and property taxes.

6 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

I don't need to prove read anything and the first sentence is just what Thailand is

but you being an apologist don't realize that (or won't)

LOS = land of scams. You can dance around if you like but a swipe is a swipe in your opening sentence..seriously why are you shifting blame on to me ? to funny.. odd how when people fail to make it they start the blame game, happens a lot on TV

6 minutes ago, madmen said:

LOS = land of scams. You can dance around if you like but a swipe is a swipe in your opening sentence..seriously why are you shifting blame on to me ? to funny.. odd how when people fail to make it they start the blame game, happens a lot on TV

you know the best on TVF is the ignore button

Archived