Jump to content
BANGKOK 20 July 2019 13:03
Joedobbs

Practice before test??

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

I have a EU drivers license and in my home country can drive car and bike up to 125cc. Here I have been told that I can get a Thai car license no problem but will need to do both the theory and practical for the bike license.

 

I only want a small scooter to drive to and from work. I have never driven here and would like to practice a little first before doing the test just to get confident etc. I have asked and they will rent me a bike, they said if the police stop me "I would just have to talk to them".

 

Is there anywhere that has the circuit where you can practice? The practical test? WOuld it be wise to rent a scooter for a month and drive it even though I don't have a Thai motorbike license?

 

Best way to proceed?

 

Thanks for all advice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Joedobbs said:

I have a EU drivers license and in my home country can drive car and bike up to 125cc.

Go to your nearest DLT office with your home country DL with passport, proof of Thai address, medical certificate as listed above this forum and get the 2 Thai DL licences you want, if your home country DL is not in English and have a photo you will need a IDP from your home country or do the full Thai driving tests for both car & motorcycle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Go to your nearest DLT office with your home country DL with passport, proof of Thai address, medical certificate as listed above this forum and get the 2 Thai DL licences you want, if your home country DL is not in English and have a photo you will need a IDP from your home country or do the full Thai driving tests for both car & motorcycle. 

If he has to show an IDP (which he most likely does), he won't get the bike license, because the IDP clearly shows them that he doesn't have one.

In case they don't insist on an seeing an IDP it might of course happen that OP gets the Thai bike license because they don't understand that his EU license is only up to 125cc

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The written test isn't that easy, please do not underestimate the questions. 

 

  If you have to do the test, please page me, I've got all questions and perhaps even all answers to it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If he has to show an IDP (which he most likely does), he won't get the bike license, because the IDP clearly shows them that he doesn't have one.

In case they don't insist on an seeing an IDP it might of course happen that OP gets the Thai bike license because they don't understand that his EU license is only up to 125cc

Yes your right but you never here he may sail through with the DLT he goes to, no chance in Sukhothai.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have already been told by my embassy and also by an agent here in Bangkok that I can get the car driving license no problem but they wont accept it as a bike license as it doesn't specifically state on the license I can also drive bikes. Bummer.

 

So Iam going to do the paper work for my car license, which I have been told is to watch a video and do some tests like vision and braking.

 

My question is what to do about the motorbike. Should I rent a bike and practice myself on the roads? What happens if I get stopped by the police? 

 

Also is there anywhere in bangkok I can practice the practical test? A similar circuit etc to help me prepare.

 

Oh and yes please, can I have the questions for the motorbike test to help me prepare for the theory as well please.

 

Thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

The written test isn't that easy, please do not underestimate the questions. 

 

  If you have to do the test, please page me, I've got all questions and perhaps even all answers to it. 

Can I get a copy of the questions for the theory of the motorbike test please? 🙂 Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Try the Honda Safety Riding Park.  on the way to Doi Saket.  I went there to watch a friend's son do a dirt riding course and was very impressed with the whole operation.  They have short and inexpensive courses for all manner of requirements and they have several locations around the country.

 

5e9ee570f7a490a79c45b3a478b85431.jpg

Edited by Greenside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Greenside said:

Try the Honda Safety Riding Park.  on the way to Doi Saket.  I went there to watch a friend's son do a dirt riding course and was very impressed with the whole operation.  They have short and inexpensive courses for all manner of requirements and they have several locations around the country.

 

5e9ee570f7a490a79c45b3a478b85431.jpg

Thanks, Ill take a look!

 

What would actually happen if I rent a bike and drive and get stopped by police? The rental place has said I would just have to talk to them?

 

I would ctually like to practice on the road before doing the test however this Honda option looks interesting if they have something where I can practice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Joedobbs said:

What would actually happen if I rent a bike and drive and get stopped by police? The rental place has said I would just have to talk to them? 

The official fine is 500 THB (and maybe a trip to the next police station required), depending on your negotiation skills you might be able to pay 200-300 THB on the spot instead.

Edited by jackdd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ummmm, don't fancy a trip to a Thai Police station.....so Maybe just go for the test and do it as many times as necessary to pass.

 

Does anyone have at least the questions to the theory?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry about that.  I thought there were others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...