Practice before test??

Joedobbs

Hi,

I have a EU drivers license and in my home country can drive car and bike up to 125cc. Here I have been told that I can get a Thai car license no problem but will need to do both the theory and practical for the bike license.

I only want a small scooter to drive to and from work. I have never driven here and would like to practice a little first before doing the test just to get confident etc. I have asked and they will rent me a bike, they said if the police stop me "I would just have to talk to them".

Is there anywhere that has the circuit where you can practice? The practical test? WOuld it be wise to rent a scooter for a month and drive it even though I don't have a Thai motorbike license?

Best way to proceed?

Thanks for all advice!

24 minutes ago, Joedobbs said:

I have a EU drivers license and in my home country can drive car and bike up to 125cc.

Go to your nearest DLT office with your home country DL with passport, proof of Thai address, medical certificate as listed above this forum and get the 2 Thai DL licences you want, if your home country DL is not in English and have a photo you will need a IDP from your home country or do the full Thai driving tests for both car & motorcycle.

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Go to your nearest DLT office with your home country DL with passport, proof of Thai address, medical certificate as listed above this forum and get the 2 Thai DL licences you want, if your home country DL is not in English and have a photo you will need a IDP from your home country or do the full Thai driving tests for both car & motorcycle. 

If he has to show an IDP (which he most likely does), he won't get the bike license, because the IDP clearly shows them that he doesn't have one.

In case they don't insist on an seeing an IDP it might of course happen that OP gets the Thai bike license because they don't understand that his EU license is only up to 125cc

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If he has to show an IDP (which he most likely does), he won't get the bike license, because the IDP clearly shows them that he doesn't have one.

In case they don't insist on an seeing an IDP it might of course happen that OP gets the Thai bike license because they don't understand that his EU license is only up to 125cc

Yes your right but you never here he may sail through with the DLT he goes to, no chance in Sukhothai.

I have already been told by my embassy and also by an agent here in Bangkok that I can get the car driving license no problem but they wont accept it as a bike license as it doesn't specifically state on the license I can also drive bikes. Bummer.

So Iam going to do the paper work for my car license, which I have been told is to watch a video and do some tests like vision and braking.

My question is what to do about the motorbike. Should I rent a bike and practice myself on the roads? What happens if I get stopped by the police? 

Also is there anywhere in bangkok I can practice the practical test? A similar circuit etc to help me prepare.

Oh and yes please, can I have the questions for the motorbike test to help me prepare for the theory as well please.

Thanks!!

22 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

The written test isn't that easy, please do not underestimate the questions. 

If you have to do the test, please page me, I've got all questions and perhaps even all answers to it. 

Can I get a copy of the questions for the theory of the motorbike test please? ???? Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Greenside said:

Try the Honda Safety Riding Park.  on the way to Doi Saket.  I went there to watch a friend's son do a dirt riding course and was very impressed with the whole operation.  They have short and inexpensive courses for all manner of requirements and they have several locations around the country.

5e9ee570f7a490a79c45b3a478b85431.jpg

Thanks, Ill take a look!

What would actually happen if I rent a bike and drive and get stopped by police? The rental place has said I would just have to talk to them?

I would ctually like to practice on the road before doing the test however this Honda option looks interesting if they have something where I can practice.

5 minutes ago, Joedobbs said:

What would actually happen if I rent a bike and drive and get stopped by police? The rental place has said I would just have to talk to them? 

The official fine is 500 THB (and maybe a trip to the next police station required), depending on your negotiation skills you might be able to pay 200-300 THB on the spot instead.

I'm glad I got my lifetime motorcycle license back around 1977/78.  No nonsense about testing or anything.  I think it was about 100 Baht, which was $5 US back then.  My Thai govt. co-workers helped me.  They said go for the lifetime license.  Never did bother about a license plate, IIRC.  Loei cops didn't seem to care.  The only checkpoint outside of town that I can recall stopped me once or twice, but they just wanted to chat.  Practice Engrish. 

2 hours ago, AlexRich said:

The test is straightforward, you’ll be fine. The only thing that needs a bit of practice is the “wheely from the traffic light manoeuvre” and the “passing the pedestrian on the pavement manoeuvre”.

That might be true in BKK, but what about upcountry in Isaan?  Will that buffalo ahead move out of the way in time when you're doing 90 km per hour? 

I once saw the aftermath of an encounter between a water buffalo and a pickup truck, up by the Mekong river in Loei.  It was a draw.  They were both dead.

10 hours ago, Joedobbs said:

Oh, just checked and seems to be only in Phuket and Chiang Mai ????

Where are you? 

If you can ride a bike the practical will be no problem. Just exaggerate everything. I failed the first time as they were not watching properly and I cancelled the turn signal as soon as I made the turn. They said I didn't signal. You can watch others doing their test to see what is expected.

Written or computer test is also not difficult but you have to think Asian or at least not western. Most questions are straight forward though. 

Theory test in the morning and practical in the afternoon. You can either spend the whole day there or do two separate days.

They will lend/rent you a bike.  

20 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Where are you? 

If you can ride a bike the practical will be no problem. Just exaggerate everything. I failed the first time as they were not watching properly and I cancelled the turn signal as soon as I made the turn. They said I didn't signal. You can watch others doing their test to see what is expected.

Written or computer test is also not difficult but you have to think Asian or at least not western. Most questions are straight forward though. 

Theory test in the morning and practical in the afternoon. You can either spend the whole day there or do two separate days.

They will lend/rent you a bike.  

Thanks, do they lend you an automatic bike? Iam in BKK

Also, where can I get the questions for the theory to practice?

Thanks! Oh and does anyone know a company that helps out?

Cheers.

30 minutes ago, Joedobbs said:

Iam in BKK

Yamaha has a rider "academy" on BangNa-Trat

img_06.jpg

https://goo.gl/maps/5F8qSGMxUW5dMcJ98 

License Training Course

This course provides both classroom and practical training to enable participants to take a test officiated by the traffic bureau and receive an approval letter that entitles them to receive a rider's license.

https://global.yamaha-motor.com/news/2008/0806/yra.html

So I guess you just visit your nearest Yamaha dealer. But I suspect you will have to be prepared for potential language difficulties.

But again. If you can already ride just take the test. 

2 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

That might be true in BKK, but what about upcountry in Isaan?  Will that buffalo ahead move out of the way in time when you're doing 90 km per hour? 

I once saw the aftermath of an encounter between a water buffalo and a pickup truck, up by the Mekong river in Loei.  It was a draw.  They were both dead.

The issue is always speed. I reckon anyone who habitually drives slowly cuts down their crash risk by 80% ... Thais drive as if unexpected stuff doesn’t happen to them.

On 6/26/2019 at 9:23 PM, Joedobbs said:

Ummmm, don't fancy a trip to a Thai Police station.....so Maybe just go for the test and do it as many times as necessary to pass.

Does anyone have at least the questions to the theory?

You are making this harder than it really is you will have more problem with the written test than the riding test. 

On 6/26/2019 at 8:48 PM, Isaanbiker said:

The written test isn't that easy, please do not underestimate the questions. 

Very true. THAT is what you should practice.

The diagrams/graphics and some of the English wording are terrible/confusing (double negative e.g.).

At least one question shows the wrong sign for the "right" answer.

Practical test is a joke. Biggest challenge is driving over an elevated strip of 15 cm width and 5 m lenght (without stepping down of course and reasonable speed).

Archived