Where to go during the rainy season

Billpro785

Looking for suggestions to go in places in Thailand, or South East Asia  during the rainy season. Have about a month and half before I go back to work. In Koh Chang now, where it has been rainy everyday 95 percent of the time. Looking for somewhere there is maybe 1 to 2 hours of dry weather, or even sun per day, or ever other day. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, canopy said:

The rainy season (about May-October) is the best time to see Northern Thailand. Rains are very short and often just one a day so not a bother. And each rain cools and freshens the air and makes the scenery lush green with fog.

Do you mean "lush green with fog"  or "lush green with frogs" ? , ????

• Haha 1

There is no single rainy season throughout SE Asia.  Even in Thailand it differs between south and north.

Some "official" ones for popular destinations are:

Bali: December - February

Malaysia: October - December (Peninsular), October - February (East Malaysia)

Singapore: November - December, but will often get some rain all year around

Bangkok: June - October

Chiang Mai: May - October

Koh Samui: October - December

Phuket: May - October

South Vietnam: May - September

Central Vietnam: June - July and September - November (Da Nang), October - December (Hoi An, Nha Trang, Hue)

North Vietnam: May - November

Of course, some wet seasons may be dry at times, and some dry seasons wet, but the periods given above have the most likelihood of there being heavy, frequent rain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Pattaya is one of the driest places in Thailand. Rain here rarely lasts more than an hour.

yes, but you have to put up with the dirty hovel.  Not a good plan. 

As I used to say to my kids when we lived in Scotland, "to enjoy this place you have to consider the weather is irrelevant to any plans you wish to make".  Even in Thailand, it rarely rains all day ( not so in Scotland of course), so any one place is a good as another.  

Stayed in Pranburi at a beachside resort a couple of weeks ago.  Had a little rain each day but not bad.  And I did not see a single piece of trash on the beach, amazing!  (It must all blow over to the Chonburi/Rayong side.)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, CharlieH said:

When it rains here it's over in 10 minutes and that's usually it for a week !

Rainy season? What rainy season, it seems to have missed us this year.

(Central North)

we have had a couple of months of almost non stop heavy rain here in Trat Provence

21 hours ago, CharlieH said:

When it rains here it's over in 10 minutes and that's usually it for a week !

Rainy season? What rainy season, it seems to have missed us this year.

(Central North)

Yes, the driest I've seen Chiang Mai since 2012. Not good for my small but perfectly formed tropical garden.

Edited by Small Joke

depends what you want to do.  rained daily in saraburi but we've spent most time doing 'indoor' activities (house renovation, shopping, eating out, visiting temple and so on).  at least it's otherwise hot and the rain does stop for a bit in Thailand.  Been back in Leeds UK recently for work and it's just been cold, drizzly and grey all the time.

23 hours ago, Billpro785 said:

Looking for somewhere there is maybe 1 to 2 hours of dry weather, or even sun per day, or ever other day.

The islands in the southern Golf of Thailand – i.e. Phangan, Samui and Tao  – their heavy rainy season is October till December (or mid January some years), only little rain from May til September, average 5 hours daily sunshine...????

Average weather charts for Koh Samui...

image.png.21ea4151cd67c887a740a7356e2389

samrain.jpg.f22c329e2b9f7a4086b4bd4bf511

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The rainy season is at different times in different parts of Thailand. Just look at the climate charts and go to another part or Thailand. 

Statistically the area around Hua Hin has the lowest rainfall over the year.

you're right of course, just don't want the smoked out drowned northern rats migrating..????

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

yes, but you have to put up with the dirty hovel.  Not a good plan. 

But its better now - there's only one bar in the whole of Pattaya that was offering 'certain services' - and that's been closed down. There is no more prostitution in Pattaya and that's official ????.

10 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

But its better now - there's only one bar in the whole of Pattaya that was offering 'certain services' - and that's been closed down. There is no more prostitution in Pattaya and that's official ????.

good to hear ????????